Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It Lives again....
The chap I bought this from said he hadn't seen it running in nearly 30 years. And judging by the treacle-like sludge in the fuel-tank and carb I could well believe it. After stripping the barrel and piston out for a check-over, as there was very little compression. I contacted viliers-parts with a list of bits I would need, and two days later they all arrived. Oversize piston-rings, head gaskets, small-end bearing/gudgeon-pin/circlips, and re-build parts for the tiny Amal 308 carb'. I made the other gaskets with gasket-paper and a knife. There was initally no spark But as the points were dirty and the gap was very wide, that was an easy fix. All up and running in a few hours. I will need to get the aluminium ducting and the recoil-start unit welded. But the beast lives. Brilliant!. Although it's rather loud as there isn't even an attempt at an exhaust-silencer!
One thing I noticed with this lovely old saw. The chain runs amazingly slowly compared to modern direct-drive saws. I think the bevel-box reduces the engine speed to around a quarter.

Attachments

• Danarm_Whipper_engine_1.jpg
    Danarm_Whipper_engine_1.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Danarm_Whipper_carb2.jpg
    Danarm_Whipper_carb2.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Danarm_Whipper_oil_pump.jpg
    Danarm_Whipper_oil_pump.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Danarm_Whipper_pump_top.jpg
    Danarm_Whipper_pump_top.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Danarm_Whipper_welding.jpg
    Danarm_Whipper_welding.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 20
Here I go with a silly question for the day.... This is the pickup unit / ignitor off my Pioneer 3071. It's very dead. I can't find one anywhere and just wondered if anyone has had any luck replacing these with a more modern unit. The flywheel is a wico-prestolite and I believe was used in some Homelite saws. But I've not seen this unit fitted to anything before. The Pioneer 3071 ws their first electronic-ignition saw and this may have been made by Wico for pioneer alone. The unit has 2 coils in it. the larger one charges the condenser, and the small one triggers a transistor inside the unit to fire the output coil mounted under the small cover above the exhaust on the other side of the saw.

I have been thinking of using a honda / stihl / homelite part and making some sort of bracket-up to adapt it to the 3071.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Pioneer3071_pickup_coil_3.jpg
    Pioneer3071_pickup_coil_3.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 21
  • Pioneer3071_pickup_coil_2.jpg
    Pioneer3071_pickup_coil_2.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20170727_183110.jpg
    IMG_20170727_183110.jpg
    830.1 KB · Views: 16
That is definitely it my area of expertise, I tried racking my brain to remember saws that had CDI ignitions, but came up with nothing

So I've decided I need to find a good Stihl 038 Magnum to compliment my 056 magnum. That way I have my classic 3 saw plan and my newer 3 saw plan
I really like the 038av I have that was my Grandfathers. It has the metal fuel tank and is built like Rich Piana. I would really like the bigger Magnum version one day also. The 038 and super and magnum are like the dolmar 6400 7300 and 7900 I think. You got a good saw platform for what you could afford back then.

@46 Poulan Where are you at David, haven't heard from you in awhile!
Hey yall--I am still here-Just going through some stuff-not much saw work. Just got through putting carb kit in my rx95 john deere. Kawisaki 12.5 hp. rear engine mower. Best its ever run. 4 trips to deere dealer also Stihl dealer.Looked at saws-BIG ONES $$$--bought a hat-LOL--David--less post more watching!!

Hey yall--I am still here-Just going through some stuff-not much saw work. Just got through putting carb kit in my rx95 john deere. Kawisaki 12.5 hp. rear engine mower. Best its ever run. 4 trips to deere dealer also Stihl dealer.Looked at saws-BIG ONES $$$--bought a hat-LOL--David--less post more watching!!

Be safe brother we will be praying for you! Holler if we can ever do anything!

I've got one of those mower, was the 70 something now it the 80 something. Took the 9hp Kawasaki pull start off and install the 12.5 Kawasaki. Rebuilt the wiring harness and installed a relay into the starting circuit for better starting. Good little rer.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Here I go with a silly question for the day.... This is the pickup unit / ignitor off my Pioneer 3071. It's very dead. I can't find one anywhere and just wondered if anyone has had any luck replacing these with a more modern unit. The flywheel is a wico-prestolite and I believe was used in some Homelite saws. But I've not seen this unit fitted to anything before. The Pioneer 3071 ws their first electronic-ignition saw and this may have been made by Wico for pioneer alone. The unit has 2 coils in it. the larger one charges the condenser, and the small one triggers a transistor inside the unit to fire the output coil mounted under the small cover above the exhaust on the other side of the saw.

You should put this in the pioneer sticky. They have been playing around with ignitions quite a bit over there to get around the issue of dead blue coils. One of the guys there will likely have an answer or be able to figure it out.

I have been thinking of using a honda / stihl / homelite part and making some sort of bracket-up to adapt it to the 3071.

Any ideas?

Need to see the mount from the jug
this is what i did on a P-4220170505_090115_resized.jpg
old set up
coil 3.JPG NLA and could not find on line
20170519_133417_resized.jpg
The jug mount - no coil
20170523_082544_resized.jpg
Husky 365/372 ( china )
coil copy.jpg
She is a runner
Next time out I will make a vid

Yep we will be praying for you buddy, and glad to hear from you again!

I was going through my fathers storage space on Friday, which is a trailer you would see in a trailer park. It's full of cool stuff but I was looking for my little hibachi grill to cook food at the lake beach. Couldn't find it but stumbled across a sweet old Green Coleman stove and latern. I thought of David and his liking for those older colemans. I also came across some sweet NOS Homelite parts my Grandfather bought for his saws but didn't live long enough to use...rather the Homelite's outlived him he was in his 70's.

Sorry I haven't been very active on here lately guys. Been pretty busy getting ready to go to school and all. Also trying to wind down on the saw time to prevent CAD withdrawals lol. On the saw side of things I am still really confused with my ms361. So I know it has a scored cylinder for sure now. I readjusted the carb a couple of times now and still have a huge problem with the saw running way too lean and/or running really wonky at idle. Did a pressure/vacuum test tonight and it only dropped about 1psi from 10psi in about 7-8 min. It passed fine by my standards. So that leads me to my next issue. What in the carb would be causing me to have such a hard time tuning it. Everything else seems to work fine due to the pressure test. I'm kinda lost on this one now. Also, does anyone know the standard thread pitch on stihl fasteners that go into the magnesium? Don't trust the cylinder bolts anymore after the muffler screw up and figure replacing them with an comparable allen drive would be cheap insurance, or should I bite the bullet and pay for stihl bolts?

I would just replace them with OEM bolts, is the carb aftermarket or OEM, there could be issues with the carb internally that you will never see.
I will probably end up getting oem bolts for it. Pretty well the entire carb is aftermarket. Only some parts are oem replacements. Do any of you think a carb kit would possibly solve my problems, or is it deeper than that?

Back