Visit to the ER

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayC

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I never thought I'd get tangled up with a chainsaw, at least not due to being too complacent or not paying attention. I am always very careful and respectful of the business end of power tools, especially scary tools with exposed spinning blades, like chainsaws. Well, evidently not today. I was mired in brush in the woods right behind my yard, dropping and bucking up a few standing dead, and suddenly found my saw sucked into my thigh. The fact that I don't exactly know how it got there just shows how little attention I was paying at the time. From what I can gather, I had just dropped a 6" tree out of the middle of a bunch of little stuff. I was reaching through the brush, and holding the saw sideways (bar side down) - I had already let go of the saw with my right (throttle) hand, and I think I was looking over my left shoulder to see if the tree fell cleanly to the ground as I pulled the saw out - when I twisted my shoulders to the left, the saw must've rotated to the left, and the bar tapped my leg before the chain had time to spin down. The chain hooked up on my pants leg and the saw got sucked in. Pant leg turned into confetti, and I got 12 stitches across the middle of my left thigh (just a flesh wound) - could've easily been way worse. Luckily I only got bit by residual momentum - my 036 Pro would've eaten my leg for lunch had the chain actually been under power at the time. Oh well...boy, do I feel stupid.

JayC

Last edited:
Glad your ok though, chaps for sure.
Slow and steady wins the race, I stare my saws down nothing leaves my sight on them

I stare my saws down nothing leaves my sight on them

I generally do too. I'm amazed (and embarrassed) that I spaced enough to get bit. It was minor - didn't saw into the muscle (thank gawd), and didn't really hurt (at least not yet). Good thing chicks dig scars, that's all I can say :).

JayC

The PPE police have arrived.....

bld109080.jpg

I trust that you have learned a valuable lesson without inflicting serious injury to yourself. I had a 30 stitch accident on my right knee in 1989 and immediately ordered a pair of chaps from Baileys. I have never tested them, but as the old saying goes "better safe than sorry".

I've always have said that Chainsaws are like Vehicles. Breaking your concentration, even for a Jiffy is when something bad happens. Over 20 years of using Chainsaws, I haven't been injured YET running one. Luckily your injury was just a "love bite". Jiffy is actually a unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Glad to hear you are not hurt too badly. Man I need to get some chaps myself. I try to pay attention but like you, everyone tends to space eventually.

Yeh; A good pair of :msp_smile:Chaps are cheaper and less time consuming than an ER visit...:msp_smile:

Sounds like the saw writes it's own citation.

I appreciate people posting about events like this. Everytime I think about cutting up a few pieces and not bothering with the chaps, I just have to think back to some of the pictures I've seen on this forum - and then I don't seem to have any trouble finding the time to put them on.

Glad it was a love tap for you man.
This thread could have been "I need to buy a new pair of chaps, clean my saw and shorts out" I am glad my cousing gave me a pair and would not let me work with out them. I tell all my helpers the same. "No chaps you lug brush today" Be safe man!

a chainsaw is not a pet .even after we clean , covet, feed , maintain,polish, modify them ,they will turn around and bite you good ,no conscience, no loyalty, gotta be alert . glad your lesson wasnt more traumatic . heal well n fast now go get some chaps and treat em like your best friend cheers jk

Glad it was a love tap for you man.
This thread could have been "I need to buy a new pair of chaps, clean my saw and shorts out" I am glad my cousing gave me a pair and would not let me work with out them. I tell all my helpers the same. "No chaps you lug brush today" Be safe man!

I've never worn any protection in the 20+ years of using a Chainsaw and I haven't had a single scratch yet. Time to stop bragging BEFORE I end up jinxing myself. I should atleast looking into getting some Chaps, Anti-Vibe Gloves, and Safety Glasses so I don't end up being a statistic.

A 'low-cost' lesson, indeed.....the best kind.

I've long felt that the old saying 'Familiarity breeds contempt' applies, rather absolutely, to the use of a chainsaw. i.e, the more and longer one uses them, the easier it becomes to forget just what the nature of the beast in-hand is: Appreciative of all the fuss, good gas and oil, bar dressing, cleaning, etc., and will do whatever you competently direct it to, but......it'll bite WHENEVER it is offered the opportunity, and without hesitation or even a hint of conscience.

There's enough that is beyond one's control... At least, 'control' that which isn't.

Certainly not preachin', just hate to hear of, and see the results of, the accidents that might have been avoided, or at least mitigated. {I spent a fair amount of visitor time here on A-S in past years(and am no stranger to the Big Dog with the endless teeth....) }

Glad you're OK. It happens fast. I almost cut my foot off once. The saw came down across my boot right behind the steel toe, actually tore my sock, but didn't touch my foot.

I kept that boot as a reminder for a lot of years.

Latest posts

Back