vogelzang heartwood cabinet heater... any opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmc2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just bought a new cabinet style vogelzang heartwood heater. Looks to be pretty good quality. Any opinions? Its all i could afford anyway, so its that or nothin. Just wonderin if anyone else has one?

HeartWood or WonderWood wood stove.

The rental house we started out in 20 years ago had A WonderWood wood stove in it for primary heat. I liked that it had the thermostat and kept a nice even heat most of the time it was burning.
It worked but was a long ways from being efficient.
The firebox could have been bigger.
The ashpan could have been deeper. Maybe it was just (so much of) the Poplar we were burning that made so much ash.
The price seems spendy for what it is. But it is functional heat if you have a good source for seasoned wood.

Its a heartwood. I passed on the wonderwood. But the thermostat on it allowed you to close it off much more than the one i got. But i may have to tinker with it. It would hold a 23" log. The one i got is about the same. The wonder wood is made by us stove i think.

You mean this ?
vg820e.gif

Taken from here ?

Sure looks like the WonderWood stove I remember feeding that first year. Proven design that provides heat.

LOL some buddies put one together that was a basket case. One of them somehow put the thermostatic 'spring' to the damper on backwards. It wasn't realised till after it was loaded up and a good fire going in it. The hotter it got in the house the further it would open the damper, makeing it even hotter. So the hotter it got, the hotter it would get. Wood didn't last long in his stove that night.

Just finally got it in today. Works pretty dang good i think. We have a 1500 sq ft home and it heats all the way through really well, and its in the fan end of the house in the den. Its not reallt that cold yet, but i think it will do well.

I don't know why it was apart to start with. He bought it used without a manual. Once he figured it out he didn't want to part with it. I guess I can't blame him I didn't mind using one

The farmstore and local hardware store here sell several every winter. I've never heard of any of them coming back to the store. If you dont like it after the first year unload it on Craigslist. They seem to bring a good price on there.

I hope i like it. Its all i could afford! lol. On a credit acount with the local ace hardware. Its thirty something outside i think, and my back rooms are nice and toasty with the damper down. And its 80 in the hall!!!

Latest posts

Back