walkerized 357 vs. 046 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heffayinthebush

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had to twist the old man's arm this morning to see which saw was the best in some 8-12" maple firewood logs we were buzzin' up this morning. We both had our own opinions about the performance and production....,he likes the Walkerized 357 and I prefer the 046 magnum.
Just wondering if any of you chainsaw freaks have ever done this kind ( or similar comparison ) between these 2 saws or close types. Meaning modified vs. production stock.
Besides the abvious weight difference, I still like the Stihl, basically because the balance and feel..., power-wise,speed, I didn't see much of a difference. Now the big Kahauna thought I did a crumby job filing and therefore determined the Husky as the champion in the firewood.
Tough comparison I know if one doesn't have a saw of each, but any brand comparison would be interesting.

P.S. The Lambert has yet to come by and demonstrate to us how to cut firewood..., as he has been noted and quoted. He is probably in training as we speak.

heff
firewood.ca

Hello Heff, I'm just about ready! I got my 357XPGG today from Dennis. Its really nice, I ground my first square chain, so you dont stand a chance. In fact, I'll hit you with so many flurries, you'll think your in a snowstorm.
John

Good looking saw John!
Post some clips if you have a chance, I'd love to see how it runs!

Hi Jonathan, it's a real beauty. I just ground my first square chain on a Silvey grinder, Ken helped me out and sent me a stone, thanks Ken. I will rock out tomorrow on some firewood and let you know how the chain cuts, cause the saw is top drawer.
John

Gypo, What is that ugly cylindrical thing next to the camera bag? Is that the wood you are testing the Husky on?

Dennis, On the serious side, do you think if you modified, identical work, on a 357 vs a 2159 that the outcome would be about the same?

Hi Tony, thats an ashtray that Dennis made in highschool. I pryed it away from him when I visited with him in Clearwater, however, Dennis would have you believe I stole it from him.
John

Gypo let us know how it does with the cuts when you get a chance,also what do you think about that saw I've been looking to buy a smaller saw for a companion with the 385??Oh yeah by the way nice bore cut :D

Later Rob..

357 vs???

I HAVE A 357 walkerized which in my mind means piped, polished and ported, as per the saw shop i bought it from i have run this saw for about 2/3 years using it for slashing (REMOVING small brush from power lines, ip lines or gas lines) before this saw i used a 365 stock i really feel the extra rpm added from then 357 xp + walkerizing makes this saw not only more powerful but also lighter the only difference i have noticed is a greater need to fill my gas tank... i have just rebuild my 357 with a new piston and cylinder/rings cost me 650 is this outrageous?? any one

Walker Power Equipment

I HAVE A 357 walkerized which in my mind means piped, polished and ported, as per the saw shop i bought it from i have run this saw for about 2/3 years using it for slashing (REMOVING small brush from power lines, ip lines or gas lines) before this saw i used a 365 stock i really feel the extra rpm added from then 357 xp + walkerizing makes this saw not only more powerful but also lighter the only difference i have noticed is a greater need to fill my gas tank... i have just rebuild my 357 with a new piston and cylinder/rings cost me 650 is this outrageous??

Hi Erik,
This is Don Walker. I probably walkerized that saw for you. I now have a shop in Victoria.

D

MOD EDIT: Non-Sponsor contact info removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back