walnut with old field fence in it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boike

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a walnut about 24" in dia that came down in a storm. It has old field fence that was in it, so I cut above the obvious sings of metal. Looking at the end grain after the cut, you can see black stains(which I assume are from the metal). Any idea how far up this could reach? it is about a 16' clear log, so I would like to use some of it if possible. at the other end there is no sign of the black. If anyone has any experience with old fence row trees, let me know how far up you have found wire/fence/staples as well. How far could metal really migrate???

I have a walnut about 24" in dia that came down in a storm. It has old field fence that was in it, so I cut above the obvious sings of metal. Looking at the end grain after the cut, you can see black stains(which I assume are from the metal). Any idea how far up this could reach? it is about a 16' clear log, so I would like to use some of it if possible. at the other end there is no sign of the black. If anyone has any experience with old fence row trees, let me know how far up you have found wire/fence/staples as well. How far could metal really migrate???

If it grew along a road or property line some one could
have nailed, No Hunting or No Trespassing sign's higher
than fence.

Gary

Marshall? Hey, we're neighbors!

Do you mean actual metal, or do you mean the stains from metal?

I've seen the stain pretty localized but an ash I cut up last week had the stain travel ca. 10 ft up the trunk. It was confined to the center so you could edge around the stain and not loose the whole log.

Do you have a metal detector or know someone who does? That is what my neigbor uses before he puts his trees threw the mill. However typically you wont find metal fencing more than 4' up, however you could find nails from no hunting signs etc, you may even find lead or copper in the tree.

Yes, right here in Marshall VA, Blueridge!
I am going to go over it with a metal detector, but some of the fence I know is pretty old, and NONE would have been put up here in the last 20 years for sure. the tree was in an interior fence row, so I do not think we will have the issue of no trespassing signs. I was thinking of cutting up another 20" to see if the back streaking decreased, but I have already end sealed them for now. I would rather not knock off any more for firewood than I have to, but I sure don't want to hit metal when I have them milled either.

I don't think there's any hardfast rule on how far the stain will go - It can be a few inches to a few feet - You should have three faces though with little or no stain, sometimes the sawyer has to cut around the defects.

I have several customers that just plan to buy a few saws when they have a real nice log with metal in it. Yesterday I milled up a white oak for a customer that had small nails in the bottom half of the log, large nails up high and a ½ square 6” long piece of metal in the crotch. They bought three saws and were extremely happy with the wood that they got out of the log. Band saw blades are relatively cheap, and if you do your own sharpening, they can be used again, even after cutting thru a ½” square piece of metal.

Buried treasure in logs is always a joy. I built a little hunting camp last summer from hedge row thinnings. I was cutting all around barb wire. I used my metal detector (Garrett model 1165180) and only hit one bullet. A rotted ash last year had barbed wire nine feet up, why I have no idea. The metal detector works well, but does not pick up the non metal stuff that kills blades. The stain can be caused by other things than metal. If you are using a CSM - mill the log. I hit metal doing firewood and the grinder makes quick work of any damage. If you are running a band mill free hand the first couple of cuts with the chain saw and see what you got. Good luck.

Back