wanna build a strong working 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is so bad about the bigbore kits...?
They are cheap and easy to get...
What is the difference from a bb kit to an OEM....?

Just having a hard time seeing why they wouldnt work...!

Not all cylinders are created equal.
Port timing will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

You want power....OEM

You want something cheap.....Aftermarket

Nope.....you'd more than likely make LESS power.

You can polish a turd.......but a turd is still a turd

this polished turd runs ok

044_046_HybridMeteorTopEnd014.jpg

044_046_HybridMeteorTopEnd012.jpg

044_046_HybridMeteorTopEnd008.jpg

The cylinder is not pretty but i could be safed....
I like having something noobody else have... Thats why Im thinking of the hybrid

If you're set on doing the work yourself, I'd recommend rebuilding the saw stock and re-using the cylinder if it's salvageable. That's a fine accomplishment in itself. After six months, if it's still in one piece and still doesn't have enough power for you, then maybe think about porting the saw or rebuilding something bigger. IMHO, porting requires considerable experience plus a machinist's skill set; the builders on AS didn't become accomplished at what they do overnight.

It probably does.
Did you start with a really bad kit though?

Mastermind built this for me ,its a current meteor kit ,its actually just a bit stronger than my mahle ported 460 ,not much but a little bit ,a while back blsnelling did an unbiased test on his 046 oem stock jug and one of these kits untouched ,they ran pretty similar in the cuts he did which is impressive for being an aftermarket kit ,i do have one of the ebay 044 big bore kits in a box at home ,the meteor is definitely not one of those ,there are different quality of aftermarket kits out now ,they are getting better

The aftermarket kits do take a little more work to really run great. If starting out and just trying to learn how to port I would recommend starting with a OEM 046 top end......if more displacement is your goal.

Like Wiggs and others have said.........there's nothing wrong with the 50mm 044 top end. It all comes down to how much work you're willing to put into it.

Mastermind built this for me ,its a current meteor kit ,its actually just a bit stronger than my mahle ported 460 ,not much but a little bit ,a while back blsnelling did an unbiased test on his 046 oem stock jug and one of these kits untouched ,they ran pretty similar in the cuts he did which is impressive for being an aftermarket kit ,i do have one of the ebay 044 big bore kits in a box at home ,the meteor is definitely not one of those ,there are different quality of aftermarket kits out now ,they are getting better

That is true. But let's put this in context. The OP is looking to port this cylinder. Go back and read the raffle 460 build thread. I ported a AM 460 kit, don't recall if it was Meteor or not but I think it was, for that saw. In ported form, it didn't compare to a ported OEM topend. I wouldn't let a saw go out the door running like it did. Rather than mess with trying to make an AM cylinder run like an OEM will without any fiddling, I pulled it off and ported an OEM cylinder for it. It ran great, just like all the ported OEM 460s I've ported have. Sure, the AM cylinder will make decent power, but if you want what the saw is capable of, stick with OEM. The proof's in the pudding. Watch all the vids, listen to the RPMs they hold in the cut, and you make your own decision. 'Nuff said.

To the OP, just port your original cylinder. They run fantastic.

Last edited:
Some guys know how to make aftermarket cylinders run, and some don't. Plain fact.

And there's lots of video out there to prove it. This thread is turning into a boring pissing match. I'm not that bored right now.

Some guys know how to make aftermarket cylinders run, and some don't. Plain fact.

And there's lots of video out there to prove it. This thread is turning into a boring pissing match. I'm not that bored right now.

Why bother? Never tried. There are plenty of other reasons to leave them alone. I simply don't care to mess with them. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever demonstrated that the ported AM topend equals the performance of the OEM topend. I've asked for that comparison, but have not seen it.

Why bother? Never tried. There are plenty of other reasons to leave them alone. I simply don't care to mess with them. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever demonstrated that the ported AM topend equals the performance of the OEM topend. I've asked for that comparison, but have not seen it.

want me to ship my hybrid to you ,so we can see if the mahle is stronger then the meteor ported ? i'm kinda of curious now

want me to ship my hybrid to you ,so we can see if the mahle is stronger then the meteor ported ? i'm kinda of curious now

That kind of testing should be done by an unbiased 3rd party. I'm not interested in making enemies. I'm simply interested in the truth. I would love to see a current AM ported 460 topend on either a 440 or 460 compared to the likes of a saw like either Randy's buildoff 460, my buildoff 460 (The Mission Backpack raffle saw), or my 440/460 hybrid. The testing would have to be done by someone that knows how to tune a saw for max performance. I would want to see them with the same 28" B&C in near bar length wood.

That kind of testing should be done by an unbiased 3rd party. I'm not interested in making enemies. I'm simply interested in the truth. I would love to see a current AM ported 460 topend on either a 440 or 460 compared to the likes of a saw like either Randy's buildoff 460, my buildoff 460 (The Mission Backpack raffle saw), or my 440/460 hybrid. The testing would have to be done by someone that knows how to tune a saw for max performance. I would want to see them with the same 28" B&C in near bar length wood.

is there going to be a gtg you and randy will be at ? im game for this ,and im sure our 2 hybrids would would be a great for this comparison ,at a gtg im sure a 3rd party could be there for unbiased judging

is there going to be a gtg you and randy will be at ? im game for this ,and im sure our 2 hybrids would would be a great for this comparison ,at a gtg im sure a 3rd party could be there for unbiased judging

We're both usually at Wiggs GTGs. The only problem with this, is that it pits builder against builder. Of course our saws get run against each other, but not in this kind of light. Of course we both want our saws to be the fastest. But, I'm more interested in having friends than I am about having the fastest saw. The problem is when guys get passionate about their saw, which we all do, and make comments that either have not, or cannot be substantiated. Then you have the guys on the sidelines that just love a fight, and throw innuendos and such out there, just to watch the ruckus. I'm not interested in that crap.

Here's the thing. Your saw with it's AM topend doesn't have to be as fast or strong as one that has an OEM topend, in order to be a good strong saw. For that matter, NO saw has to be as strong or fast as anyone elses saw to be a good strong saws. It's guys with an agenda that turn this into a people problem. It's when it's suggested that a builder, such as myself and many others, that choose not to deal with AM kits, is some how an inferior builder, that I have a problem with it. It's a known fact that AM cylinders have significantly more issues than most OEM cylinder. Of course there are exception. Don't go trying to make this say something that I'm not. You know who you are and how you do.

I'm simply saying this. Based on both my personal experiences, and those of others here on AS, I choose not to deal with AM kits. I'm also saying that I've seen no one make a direct comparison of a ported AM 460 cylinder against a known good OEM ported 460. I believe that there is a significant difference. I may be wrong. But, until that has been shown, drop the statements and inuendos that suggest otherwise. Again, I'm not saying they don't run good, but that they're not up to par with OEM.

Agreed.

Every cylinder has something different to offer to the port work. I'd go old 044 and save it. The aftermarket BB has a whole different set of parameters and quirks it likes. The key is figuring out, a lemon is a lemon, some are diamonds in the rough, what they are and how to make it shine. I said it before and I'll say it again, "open the window" I have to pee :msp_sneaky:

Latest posts

Back