Wanna see some big-ol iron runnin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the best of my calcullations it looked like the old poulan was the fastest cut. Not to knock the rest of them they all were dam good runners.:cheers:

Well it looks like they are finnally up so I hope you guys enjoy. Yes that J-red was nice as was the poulan, but remember some of the others were not sharp and there were a lot not filmed this time around. The 750 with the short bar has benn getting a lot of use without a touch up. The second has a chipper chain on it that I have not even addressed since I put it together. The third 750 I only recently finished and has a saftey chain that came with it wwich also has not been sharpened yet. The poulan I just sharpened a couple a days ago over at Thall's shop so I could prove to him that old saws can cut too, so it was as ready as I could make it. The 797 ,ac or 084 should be fun too(or the 056mII, or the sp125, or the 3120, or the 2100 husky etc...). I will get some more vids up later. Ideally they would all have razor sharp chisel chains wich I could afford if I stopped buying saws:cry: .

Nice videos, had a giggle that the old Homelite 750 all started with one pull, and the stihl saws took a few pulls to get running. thanks. ;)

Just so you guys know (and probably might have figured), none of the saw in these vids are for sale. Also if you find other stuff in my you tube account, that is something seperate and I will not discuss that on this site in any way. I just wanted be clear that I am not using this site commercially. I just wanted to share a fun day with you guys.

Last edited:
Just enjoyed watching those old irons throw chips, Hoss... thanks for posting them. :yourock:

Comparing saw performance is not always easy, especially with different bar lengths and chains that are not equal, but one gets a good feel which saw has cayones or not.

I particularly liked the the 111S, which is one of my favorite oldies and a very underestimated saw imo.

How do you make those vids ?

PS. I sure missed some Elvis tunes :greenchainsaw:

Just enjoyed watching those old irons throw chips, Hoss... thanks for posting them. :yourock:

Comparing saw performance is not always easy, especially with different bar lengths and chains that are not equal, but one gets a good feel which saw has cayones or not.

I particularly liked the the 111S, which is one of my favorite oldies and a very underestimated saw imo.

How do you make those vids ?

PS. I sure missed some Elvis tunes :greenchainsaw:

Yeah I like the 111s very much also. I use a 36" bar with internal roller on my other one and it pulls it just fine. I used a Kodak Easy Share Z760 digital camera to make the vids. My buddy Scott (who couldn't resist runnin the 090) did most of the filming for me.

Lookin good Hoss, Very nice and thanks for sharing.
All them saws sound like you got em tuned pretty
dam well. The S6000 looked like it cut very well.
Would like to see the 990G with 1/2 inch chain, bet
it would throw some chips then.

I gotta learn how to do these vid's as well.

Regards Lee

I gotta learn how to do these vid's as well.

Regards Lee[/QUOTE]

Yeah it took me bein on here since 2005 to figure out how myself.

The 990 had a 1/2 chain on it when I got it but it was shot. When I could not find a replacement I had the .404 sprocket made up.

I have a Creative Vado and its a basic video recorder that just plugs into a usb and will send the vids direct to youtube or photobucket.
The pic quality is spot on for use on a computer and its real easy to use,
2 hour recording time and 2 hour rechargable battery.

Theres another machine called the Flip that does the same thing.

Great vids Hoss!

Last edited:
I liked the 090s the best, that sound was unique... I suspect that they really don't show what they're capable of in such small wood, can't you wrangle up some solid 4 foot dead hickory? LOL... :greenchainsaw:

Ian

Great vids Hoss...appreciated seeing them. Best part was when my 2yr old daughter crawled up on my lap pointed to the screen and said "chainsaw Daddy!"

I liked the 090s the best, that sound was unique... I suspect that they really don't show what they're capable of in such small wood, can't you wrangle up some solid 4 foot dead hickory? LOL... :greenchainsaw:

Ian[/QUOTE

You are definately right about the 090. This one has seen lots od 4'-6' timber. One split trunk I dropped was 48" on one trunk and 52" on the other, man that stump was a bear (not for the saw, for me:hmm3grin2orange: ).

The 750's and the 990g are my favorites. The mac 73 is a whole different experience all it's own. 50+# with bar and chain.

I should add that I ran my sp81e mac for about 4hrs today in 12"-24" hard & soft wood and it deserves all the accolades it gets. Man, what a strong saw for 82cc's.

Last edited:
Great vid's

I suspect that you have about as much experience with the Biguns as anyone around, so I will as a very subjective question. Which of the big saws do you think is the fastest cutting? Also I notice that you didn't cut with the mighty SP125. Do you have one, or have you cut with one? I got a chance to use Mark's at the Rienbeck GTG and I was very impressed. JR

Latest posts

Back