Want a new circulator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mingom

Hey Guys,

I want to get a new circulator for my system as a backup/as a possible resolution to my issues. I currently have whats labeled as a Taco 0011 BF4-J, which comes up as a bronze pump, which neither of mine are. Will a regular cast iron 0011 suffice?

Thanks

I have another thread going with some issues between my propane system and my OWB. One thing I suspect is the circulator after my heat exchanger. Taking a load reading with a clamp on revealed a .5 amp load on a FLA of 1.76, and its making a grinding/gurgling noise. This particular pump pulls the heated water from the HX to the manifold of the propane/house loop.

Should look into a Grundfos! Ive replaced 2 of those Bronze Taco's and haven't had a problem since!

Do they wire right up the same/ interface with the Taco controls? I have an SR 501 and two SR 504's. Also, is there a way to directly compare/select the replacement?

If the pump is indoors on the pressurized loop an iron pump should be just fine. Circs need to be mounted with motor horizontal, if yours made it this long I doubt thats the problem. The pump should just have two wires and the electrical swap should be no problem. A Taco 011 is a pretty good sized pump. Is the plate exchanger a long way from the propane boiler? What size pump is on the OWB?

One thing to consider, having the same pump inside as the one at the OWB, then keep a spare on hand in case one fails.

Hi there,

The classic symptom of centrifugal pump cavitation is making a noise that sounds like you have gravel in a cement mixer. If it's making that kind of noise from within, I'd be looking hard at a starved suction. This is the pump on the pressurized side of your system, I'm assuming. If you go to the highest point in that system and open a bleeder, is there water coming out? If not, you're low on water and either air-bound or cavitating your pump. You appear not to want to do this, but until you do you have no way of knowing. If you have radiators or similar, there should be a key vent at each radiator. How much pressure is your system under? It should be 12 pounds. If it's not, again with the low on water/full of air.

I cannot stress this strongly enough: centrifugal pumps only work if they have a flooded suction. First thing, make sure it's got something to pump.

And CI should be fine on the pump body although bronze gives you a little more O2 resistance- oxygen being the #1 killer of OWBs in my opinion. If it doesn't already have them, install isolation valves (Full Port ball valves) on each side of the pump if you change it to avoid wet feet in the future. I would tell you to just get a cartridge, but you may want to price it out first.

Good luck,

Oxford

+1 on grundfos taco's went through the roof on prices I paid $75 for a taco 9 years ago IIRc a 7 series 2 years ago it died a cartrage was $150 a new pump was around $300 I bought a grundfos for $130. We run grundfos at the school I worked at for DHW I know it is at least 8 years old and still running 24/4/365.

If the circulator is on the OWB side of the system and you are using the recommended boiler additive to prevent corrosion in the boiler, it will protect the circulator also.

Latest posts

Back