Want more umph... (from 55cc to 70-75cc)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have dealers in . . . .

Republic
Bolivar
Cassville
Springfield
Conway
Mountain Grove

Husq 372 or dolmar 7900. Want a better looking saw than the 372? Get a Jonsered CS2171.

Last edited:
I'm not driving 60+ miles to buy a saw, crap the "dealer" in Cassville has been a dealer for like 5 years and told me he has only sold two saws, he had one dolmar saw sitting on the shelf the last time I was in there and it was two years old.lol It was a 30 or 40 cc model. He is also a husky dealer and does not carry one xp model, it is a total joke. Conway, two and a half hour drive, the only one that is remotely close is Republic, well over an hour one way. It's no worse than the local efco dealer, he has had the same two saws sitting gathering dust for two years, two saws and they call him a dealer.lol

I've got a neighbor with a 120 super, to find the carb he needed we had to order one of one of the AS sponsors and we had to wait on it to get here from Germany. It is getting hard to find parts for the older Dolmar's locally, usually your just better off using one of the sponsors on here rather than try to find a part locally. Around here he couldn't even find a shop that would touch it, if they don't sell it, they don't work on it and the independent's just tell you good luck getting parts.

I believe the member's on here like Nmurph, I believe they are a great saw, I just can't wait around on parts if I break down in peak season, I have to either run Stihl or Husky because of the number of dealers around, I can get parts with a 13 mile drive and any repair work I can't handle will be done in a day as the dealers are fantastic about turn around for guys using saws commercially.
Hopefully they will get the distro and dealer support figured out, the more competition the better other mfgs will respond in developing new saw technologies and higher performance, we all win.

I guess you are right.

There are 5 Sthil dealers within 10 mi of my house and there used to be another but he got too old and retired.

If you go out 20 miles you can add four more Stihl dealers.

The all sell stuff besides chainsaws and Stihl products

My experience with both the local Stihl and Husky dealer is that 90% (not kidding) of the parts I need have to ordered. It might be different if I was wanting parts for a 290 or 455, but they just don't sell enough pro saw parts to make it worthwhile to stock them. And both of these dealers are more than fly-by-night, down at the end of a boggy road dealers. I will admit that logging around here is 99% mechanized. Everywhere you look, there are trees. But the only saws you see on the logging crews are pole saws and the occasional 290.

I personally use the 460, which I love. Good practical bar range, I typically run mine with a 25". More than enough power for this size bar. I have used the Husky and Dolmar, both are very good saws, don't think you would be disappointed with any of the three (no regrets). I have owned Dolmar in the past though, and dealer support is less than par around here at least. If it were me, I would at least try to get out and handle all three in person before you buy (or better yet, a few test cuts), they all feel different. It will be personal preference at that point.

I say go with 460 or 576xp, 372xpw if one can be found. Any of these will do what your asking and will be easy to repair saws when needed. I've done some storm damage cleanup and was glad to have a brand with a dealer nearby, regardless where I was. This will matter when you get called out to work, you can't choose where the damage will be.

. I also run a 044 basically the same saw as the 440 said:
I couldn't agree more. My 044 feels like the breaking point for a saw light enough and balanced just right to run long periods of time working the woods, ditch banks, etc.for all around use . . I don't know the weight of an 372 is but I run them plenty and to me the way they balance and fit me I tire quicker with them and they feel heavier.
I like the 460 plenty but it gets heavy faster then an 044. I had a Makita 6401 and was very satisfied with it, but the 044 fits me better. I've been running an older 044 w/10mm wrist pin. I am not sure the latest 440 is as reliable and believe epa choked it a bit, but when it comes to reliability and making money Stihl gets my vote hands down.

Get a 390xp if you can find one at a good price since you already have a 3120. It's a tad over 16lbs for the PO, and is a monster when ported. What some folks are missing is that your 3120 bars will fit a 372 and a 390. In fact, an mm'd 390 can pull a 32-36" bar fairly well, even in hardwoods, and that would work for both of those saws. I doubt even the Dolmarados would suggest a 32" bar for hardwoods on a 7900.

I really like the 390... It was the runner up when I bought the 7900... Notice I said "Runner up"? :msp_sneaky:

The 7900 is a strong 70cc class saw but will play up a size. A 390 does balance real good and doesn't feel any heavier when running it than a 7900. The bars that fit the 3120 will fit a 7900 also. Stihl bars can fit with a little adapter and a little grinding on the bar slot to lengthen it so you can run the same dl count on all the different saws.

I saw what ya did there. Notice I said "saw"? Someone mentioned to me earlier the oiler in a Dolmar 7900 has plastic parts. Any truth to this?

Never had to replace it. So I can only assume... But I will be investigating to attempt to snuff out that ugly rumor...:msp_ohmy:

The pump body is a Zinc die casting.

The driven shaft and volume adjuster are steel

Some of the oil tube mechanism is rubber

At this time there is a thread running close to this one about a Stihl 066 oil pump upgrade.

The parts layout and materials for the 6400/7900 oil pump are similar to the 066.

Back