Warning...doom, death, & danger!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckethead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of folks on this forum that have truckloads of logs delivered that are then processed into firewood. We have had 3 loads delivered that way and there is nothing like working your way through the pile of logs..first turning them into rounds, then into stacks of split firewood. The sense of accomplishment when you are done is tremendous.

Well, about a 2 weeks ago a guy I know was doing that very thing at his house with his younger brother's help. Both are very experienced and have been making firewood for along time. Well, this time one of the logs on the pile shifted and came rolling off the pile and right over the younger brother. He did not survive the accident. I have no idea how the surviving brother is going to handle this horrible loss.

So, I just want to remind everyone here that cutting and splitting your own firewood is very enjoyable and rewarding but please be careful. The saws and splitters are obvious danger items but, there are still plenty of other things that can hurt, maim or kill you...so, let's be careful out there!

Wow. I've never heard of that one before. Thats terrible. Reminds me of when I was new to fencerow cutting and started to cut into a dozer pile of some nice oak limbs. Dozer driver stopped me real quick. Lots of stored energy there waiting to be released by the chainsaw...

Back in the days when I had my pulp wood length firewood delivered I had to outrun several logs that would try to seek revenge. It is like a giant game of "Pick up Sticks" and you always have to watch your pile and NEVER turn your back on the stack.
It also helps if the guy unloading the wood doesn't stack the pile high. Tell him to spread it out a little. Another thing I used was a 5 foot hunk of pipe that I would push and pry the logs down off the pile and get them on the ground.

Sad story but if logs werent round, wheel may be yet to be invented

there are a lot of things in the firewod business that can kill you. Very important to have your head screwed on at all times. I get my logs delivered, and spread as best the man can, otherwise I'll hop in the loader and spread out the pile a bit so that I can work on it safely. I also use a 60" Logrite cant hook, to move anything that doesn't looks safe as I am cutting. Also, never put yourself between the pile and something hard, ie..other logs, equipment, etc. Were the logs to roll it gives a good place for you to get squished.

Thanks for sharing that. It is a thought that will stick in the back of my mind as I work piles of logs, a mental check on the risk scale. Can't wait to buy a piece of equipment to work log piles with, a tractor, skid steer, whatever. For now I use a hookaroon to stab the end of logs to pull down the piles from the sides. I can not imagine working an 8' high log pile safely without one, and simply do not cut 'in' the pile. We are all in the risk management business, from what we eat, what we wear, and how we do what do, and who we do it with. And we are all teachers to those watching, especially kids.

Each log pile is different and as logs are taken off the end or top the dynamics change.

The 6' high maximum is a good rule, it allows pretty good leverage with a cant hook when standing alongside the pile and loosening one top log at a time thereby having your body behind the log at all times. Following the sand excavation rule of 45* slope makes for a safer environment on a log pile as well.
Pulling logs from the end with a vehicle works too but in unfrozen ground tends to chew up the ground and dirty the wood.

Forks on a tractor work but can still get messy once the logs come free from the end and start to criss-cross, this is even worse with crooked/twisted logs which are usually standard in a firewood grade load around here.
Considering the equipment here, I find the cant hook to actually be the most effective for rolling down a fresh set of logs that come to rest on the runners at the bottom.

Never cross-cut on the downhill side of a log is a standard loggers rule. A pile may not be a mountain, but it is a mini-hill. Even a small height can result in a broken ankle or leg. Even if the log doesn't cause the injury directly, a loss of balance with a pinned leg can mean a broken bone ( or a chainsaw wound, there's no guarantee that the chain-brake will lock in a fall ).

Get em on the ground and away from other logs. A Cant hook/peavey can both bring them down and roll them over to finish the cuts. I think many people are tempted to leave a high pile so they can crosscut off of the ground. There's also a lot of kickback situations when the nose of the bar is close to other logs in the pile.

I think most people are surprised at how much leverage peaveys have the first time they see one used. If I only had a dollar for every time I've heard, "You'll never roll that big log with that thing", I'd have....well about six bucks, but it'd pay for lunch.

Last edited:
We occasionally have firewood logs delivered, and I never let the driver stack them over about 6' high.

I ask them to put out some pieces for skids too, and I will push them around on the ground so that the operator doesn't have to fool with them too much if it looks like he is having trouble arranging them. Some guys aren't too swift with handling just one small log at a time.

I like to roll the logs out on the skids when I saw them up. I just keep a light weight pointed bar to use when moving the logs off the pile. I know that it is slower doing it that way, but it is a lot safer, and as I get older, speed is not my forte anyway. My Grandpa used to say, "Boy, ya gotta learn to work smarter, not harder"!

I used to saw right up on the pile, but not any more. There is much more chance of stumbling and falling with a running saw that way. Then if the pile starts to shift while you are up there, well, it could get ugly real quick. Funny how many stupid moves I got away with when I was younger.

Bob

bobt, you bring up a valid option, using a pointed bar much like the carvers do, not sure why it never clicked before but it makes perfect sense. Time to call my parts guy about bar/chain setups.

bobt, you bring up a valid option, using a pointed bar much like the carvers do, not sure why it never clicked before but it makes perfect sense. Time to call my parts guy about bar/chain setups.

You misunderstood me I think. I meant to say I used a pointed bar to dislodge and move logs off the pile. I would use a cant hook if I had one.

I didn't mean to say I used a pointed bar on the chainsaw like the dime tip bars that chainsaw carvers use. I don't know how one of those bars would be better for bucking up firewood.

Sorry if I caused confusion.

Bob

I have my guy load them on a hill on my property and I just roll them down hill with a 6 ' pinch bar as I need them.
003-6.jpg

Towards The End

For example look at the above picture and think of yourself cutting on one of those logs. I remember hearing this on one of the Axe Men shows. Never try to outrun a log rolling down towards you. Whoever was talking said to run towards the shorter end of the log and get out of its way.

I'm sorry to hear about that young fellow who lost his life while cutting up logs.

Nosmo

I didn't mean to say I used a pointed bar on the chainsaw like the dime tip bars that chainsaw carvers use. I don't know how one of those bars would be better for bucking up firewood.

Sorry if I caused confusion.

Bob

A dime tip bar would have a much smaller kickback zone at the tip.

Ian

Yup. You've got to be careful. Never let small children near the log pile either. To them, it looks like a giant jungle gym. Sometimes it's best to have a "controlled" collapse of your log pile. If I see what looks like a potential hazard, I'll make it fall myself. Use pulp hooks or a pick, and stand of to the side, and let them fall.

Yup. You've got to be careful. Never let small children near the log pile either. To them, it looks like a giant jungle gym.
I believe this could also apply to stacking rounds, which I do when I bring them home because of the small area where I do my firewood. I try and make sure the stacks are stable and that the bottom end rounds won't roll out causing the stack to collapse. I said try because I had one stack this year partially collapse because of a bottom end round not stable. Scared me real good thinking about my very active 3 yr. that loves to be outside.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back