Water lines in attic- safe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrapiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had an HVAC guy come out to help figure out the rat nest of wires a previous owner left from the thermostats. Anyway, we went up in the attic and he recommended not having the OWB lines in an attic for obvious reasons- possible water damage. Should I be concerned?

The lines were replaced about 7 years ago with PEX and look good. He said that when it gets to about 5- 10 degrees F, the pipes could burst, even with hot water running in them. We're in NC so those days are rare, but can happen.

The upstairs unit is not a heat pump (as the downstairs is), so when using the upstairs system for heat, it's just electric strips ($$). Once we found that out, he said run the OWB, it'll be cheaper... just watch the weather.

We have a 124 year old farmhouse- leaks like a sieve. :) With the OWB, we keep it a cozy 71- 72 degrees (family at home all day). I'm loading the stove about 3 times a day.. half full loads. Still getting used to it and gauging things. Insulation in the attic is awful, about 6 inches of compressed blow in. I've got some R-13 to lay on top of that (maybe this weekend). All windows were replaced 4 years ago with Low E (vinyl).

I'm going to have to buy a few cords of seasoned wood. I'd rather not burn that load of red oak this year. IMHO, I think that I'll still come out ahead rather than run that upstairs unit.

I do agree with the HVAC guy- the whole upstairs needs to be re-done, unit, duct work, insulation. This was a "buddy job" about 24 yrs ago. One side of the house is hot, the other side cool due to the layout of the ducts (lots of turns) and placement of the unit. I'm already saving for the day that needs to happen.

So after all that... should I be worried about those water pipes (beyond usual caution)?

Thanks-

That is a tough one but for piece of mind I would not want the lines in the attic. How hot does the attic get? Instead of worrying about a pipe bursting due to cold could the PEX lines fail from excessive heat cycles? It would only take one large leak to do alot of damage.

I would hate to say to my spouse that one time, "look honey indoor rain" :cheers:

Brian

Saw water lines freeze in the attics in San Antonio in the 70's. It can be a really big mess that I would go a long way to avoid.

Hmm...so far the consensus is to get rid of those lines. How are folks heating their upstairs with an OWB?

I am in the same boat. I have had water lines in my attic now for 2 years and my OWB dealer never said that it wasn't a good idea. I did put foam pipe insulation around the exposed pex and I haven't had a problem yet. My attic does have some gable vents but they are blocked off with foam insulation which seems to work pretty well.

Having pipes & water lines where they can freeze & burst is never a good idea - After freezing, it's when they thaw & the water starts flowing you got some mess. As long as the system is up & running, you're probably o.k. - But, what about an ice storm, etc, no power for a week? Are you still safe?

I have seen pex exposed to structure fire, and expansion from freezing.. No failure from freezing (It just stretched a bit), and a failure from fire... But only after the pex expanded in bubbles the size of SOFTBALLS!

Pex is good stuff, and if you have hot fluid running through it, I don't think freezing would be an issue.

I am in the same boat. I have had water lines in my attic now for 2 years and my OWB dealer never said that it wasn't a good idea. I did put foam pipe insulation around the exposed pex and I haven't had a problem yet. My attic does have some gable vents but they are blocked off with foam insulation which seems to work pretty well.

Why are your gable vents blocked off? Winter is when you need the ventilation the most. Ideally, you want your attic the same temperature as the outside air to avoid condensation damage to your attic and roof.

Why are your gable vents blocked off? Winter is when you need the ventilation the most. Ideally, you want your attic the same temperature as the outside air to avoid condensation damage to your attic and roof.

If I read his post right... He had Poly foam blown in... No venting needed.

Had an HVAC guy come out to help figure out the rat nest of wires a previous owner left from the thermostats. Anyway, we went up in the attic and he recommended not having the OWB lines in an attic for obvious reasons- possible water damage. Should I be concerned?

The lines were replaced about 7 years ago with PEX and look good. He said that when it gets to about 5- 10 degrees F, the pipes could burst, even with hot water running in them. We're in NC so those days are rare, but can happen.

The upstairs unit is not a heat pump (as the downstairs is), so when using the upstairs system for heat, it's just electric strips ($$). Once we found that out, he said run the OWB, it'll be cheaper... just watch the weather.

We have a 124 year old farmhouse- leaks like a sieve. :) With the OWB, we keep it a cozy 71- 72 degrees (family at home all day). I'm loading the stove about 3 times a day.. half full loads. Still getting used to it and gauging things. Insulation in the attic is awful, about 6 inches of compressed blow in. I've got some R-13 to lay on top of that (maybe this weekend). All windows were replaced 4 years ago with Low E (vinyl).

I'm going to have to buy a few cords of seasoned wood. I'd rather not burn that load of red oak this year. IMHO, I think that I'll still come out ahead rather than run that upstairs unit.

I do agree with the HVAC guy- the whole upstairs needs to be re-done, unit, duct work, insulation. This was a "buddy job" about 24 yrs ago. One side of the house is hot, the other side cool due to the layout of the ducts (lots of turns) and placement of the unit. I'm already saving for the day that needs to happen.

So after all that... should I be worried about those water pipes (beyond usual caution)?

Thanks-

PEX will expand to over 2 times its' normal diameter without bursting.The connectors are not so forgiving.Is there a way you can build a chase around the lines and insulate?

They have been there 7 years OK? Just watch as you tighten up you don't make the attic colder.

About 10 year ago I had my furnace, water heater, water softner, and washer in the garage. I put a new furnace in the crawl space, and have had a lot of trouble with pipes in the garage freezing. No big leaks, but some damage to the water softener and washer.

:agree2:

I cant imagine how 140-180 degree water is going to freeze when it is hot enough to heat your home with.

Maybe he ws thinkig the OWB was only for occasional heat not primary heat.

Last edited:
Insulate them, and box them in, if possible. I should know this, but can self-regulating heat tape be used with PEX?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks for all the input everyone!!

I will insulate the pipes and check the connections.

Good point on if I insulate the attic better, it may cause the attic to be colder. I'll need to think through that. Getting a generator for power outages isn't a bad idea. I assume I can get the fan in the heat exchange wired somehow to the generator (the OWB pumps and fan are no problem).

-Skot

Thanks for all the input everyone!!

I will insulate the pipes and check the connections.

Good point on if I insulate the attic better, it may cause the attic to be colder. I'll need to think through that. Getting a generator for power outages isn't a bad idea. I assume I can get the fan in the heat exchange wired somehow to the generator (the OWB pumps and fan are no problem).

-Skot

I have my OWB pump and blower on the same circuit as my furnace controls and blower. The additional load is not significant enough to remotely tax the circuit.

Installed a transfer switching setup and viola, it's all running when the genset is online (along with the fridge, freezer, well, hot water heater controller, computers, TV, satellite, etc)

Steve

Latest posts

Back