Waterproof gear boxes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Anyone find a good gear box to keep your saw support stuff in?I have used over the years those cheap plastic tool boxes,but have yet to find any that will keep the rain out.
Came home late the other day,parked behind the shop and hauled the saws back into the shop but forgot to go back and get the tool boxes.Rained last night, and now I have a several rusty chains that were almost new, files all rusted up, and an inch in the bottom of the toolboxes.I have kept an eye out for some of those miltary ammo cans at our local surplus shops, but any that are big enough to do the job are in the $75 range,seems kinda spendy to me.
Anyone found anything better?

The Action Packers that they sell at Wal-Mart and such are waterproof. They also have a place to lock them with a padlock. Which would mean with a length of chain you could lock them in the back of you truck.

Available in several sizes but even the biggest doesn't get above $40 or so.

I use Surplus ammo boxes, they have a rubber seal and keep out water well. I use the .50 cal boxes
edit
I forgot the part about the price the .50cal boxes go for about $15.00 $10.00 on sale. You must be looking at a very big ammo box for $75.00 I have seen some of the 20mm Round ones go for about $30.00

Last edited:
i use the truck tool box and keep the heavy stuff in there so I dont have to carry it back and forth chains axs rope jack ect ect. but always carry the saws in

I use a Rubbermaid roughneck tote to keep some of my stuff together. It keeps the rain / snow etc out and if you get the lid snapped on it doesn't fly off in the wind.
I have been keeping essential tools, spare bar, chains in a plastic tool box I got with my Delta cross bed toolbox. It is a master something brand and is a double wall blow molded case (like a powertool case). It is not waterproof as there are no rubber seals, but the thick flanges do seem to seal the rain out well when i have left it in the back of the truck. It's kind of like this one except bigger (It holds an 18" bar easily).

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-17-...9?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1242470491&sr=1-19

Don

Go with the ammo boxes, They are strong most are waterproof and they seal good. They are anywhere from $5 to $20 around here. For the kind of money you said you should be able to get one big enough to put the saw and all the tools in one box. I use um and they work great.

Newer style ammo boxes are plastic, have an o-ring for sealing, and come in various sizes.

Cabela's probably carries them, but I cannot recall the price (I am in Canada so prices would be higher here anyway).

HTH

I picked up a used Hardigg case that's about as big as a footlocker. They are made of blowmolded plastic with a rubber gasket on the lid, it also has a couple handles at each end for ease of moving. I like because it doesn't protrude above the sides of my pickup and is easily hidden beneath the tonneau cover. I found mine at a tag sale at the local industrial park but, I imagine they could be found online too.

I use the Northern Tool boxes, Academy also sells a similar box, and on sale I have seen them around 9.00. I use them to keep spare chains, small parts and some tools in. The bigger stuff I keep in the truck tool box.

Latest posts

Back