Wear Gloves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wear Gloves

• Total voters
I always use gloves, Duluth Trading Post online has a set of work gloves that last forever, closed cuff for ANSI compliance (which states all tree workers SHALL wear work gloves of the CLOSED cuff variety), and they even have a set with mesh back for the summer. They also have tactile fingers, which I have no problem performing tree duties ranging from rigging knots in the tree to setting clevises and biners, etc. Not a bad buy at $17-19/pair.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/gloves-for-men/80010.aspx?feature=product_2

Mine have an L on one and a R on the other. Once I get one on the other isn't so hard to figure out.

What I have found with thinner leather gloves is that if they are bulky you can put them on and use a heat gun or torch to shrink them a little to conform to your hand a little better.

Last edited:
Yes, gloves are for sissies....
attachment.php

I don't think anyone is saying that gloves are for sissies. I think we have established that the question was meant to be who climbs with gloves. I personally have no thoughts one way or the other if someone chooses to climb with gloves.

I have noticed that most rock climbers I have seen do not wear gloves. They have a little ditty bag with talc and use that on their bare hands when they climb. I will often use my hands and arms a lot when I climb, especially when rope climbing. I will on occasion use a hand jam in a crotch just as rock climbers will do in a rock crevice. When I am using my hands and arms to reach a point I like to have bare skin on the limb/tree. Gloves just feel less secure and slippery no matter how "grippy" they are. On the ground, sure, anytime I am pulling a throwline through the tree, pulling a winch cable or something like that I am wearing gloves. As for climbing, it's just not my style.

I use gloves any time I'm working, on the ground or climbing. I wear the blue Atlas cotton/rubber grip gloves, and have never had a problem with a lack of dexterity. (Well, actually tying/untying a throwline I'll take them off because it's so small, but that's it).

I can't imagine working without gloves.

Oh, it's also company policy.

I find using fingerless gloves works well, lets you feel what you are doing and the freedom to tie knots but also protects the rest of the hand in my case from my hand saw. I have been sliced open more times from that saw than anything else (and not while cutting mind you.)

I prefer the Atlas nitrile gloves when the weather is cool and a snug leather glove any other time. I've always worn gloves and are quite used to them. Feel naked without them.

One time I was pushing a large chunk off a spar and a small stub caught the cuff of my leather glove on the way down. Slammed me into the pole and almost pulled my shoulder out. Fortunately the glove tore. One more thing I watch out for now.

I cannot find decent gloves that fit my meathooks, they are always a titch off by the thumb & forefinger. then i have to fight the glove to open my hand all the way. Some 2xl leather gloves will streach, but then they wear out faster.

If i'm climbing rope a lot I may waer the yellow waffle gloves, but they move too much between me and the tree and mess with my grip.

My Wife has finally got used to my "Loofa Hands" and come to like the effect...in most areas....

Always. Blue grippy ugli gloves. I have a problem with dexterity; a problem dialing the cell phone, that's about all. Otherwise I am less of a climber without them. I depend on the grip, the protection and someone mentioned it earlier, some vibration dampening. My hands just get deeply filthy and beat to crap without them, especially when climbing in the rain.

I've gone to using a size smaller than what I would consider my normal size. This keeps the gloves tighter to the hand and stretches the cotton weave on the topside, giving better ventilation. In a very short while climbing they don't feel small anymore, they feel just right.

At around a dollar a pair I keep a number of pairs floating around, intermixing because I have some weird curse of never being able to find the right-hand glove. :confused:

Similar problem to jps here. Have an amish guy custom make them for me. Prefer not to wear gloves, but it's too cold here a good chunk of the year to go without them. Tried toughing it out through the winters without them in my early days, hands are still messed up from it.

I used to never wear them when I was working in FL, but here I have to - we got really tuff safety regulations here (and they'll fine you in a heartbeat), plus of course its cold 9 months out of 12. But i become to get used to them - so now I don't even mind anymore and they're pretty cheap over here- a $3 pair lasts me about 3 days, so its not too bad

Always. Blue grippy ugli gloves. I have a problem with dexterity; a problem dialing the cell phone, that's about all. Otherwise I am less of a climber without them. I depend on the grip, the protection and someone mentioned it earlier, some vibration dampening. My hands just get deeply filthy and beat to crap without them, especially when climbing in the rain.

I've gone to using a size smaller than what I would consider my normal size. This keeps the gloves tighter to the hand and stretches the cotton weave on the topside, giving better ventilation. In a very short while climbing they don't feel small anymore, they feel just right.

At around a dollar a pair I keep a number of pairs floating around, intermixing because I have some weird curse of never being able to find the right-hand glove. :confused:

Im with TM and wear the cheapie (blue) cotton backed, sticky rubber(?) faced type. Awesome grip on rope. Like Bermie, my treechick wife prefers my hands as soft as possible.

I wear gloves often but not always. The cotton /blue rubber palm gloves give me extra grip for climbing and I like that. I also use them for spitting firewood with an axe which I do often. I do not wear gloves while feeding the chipper. Unless its really cold.

I wear gloves often but not always. The cotton /blue rubber palm gloves give me extra grip for climbing and I like that. I also use them for spitting firewood with an axe which I do often. I do not wear gloves while feeding the chipper. Unless its really cold.

Interesting. I climb with the aforementioned gloves and do everything else without them except chipping. Then its leather palm rigging gloves. Too many splinters, thorns, dead stubs etc... for this nancy boy I guess.

Latest posts

Back