Wear Your Chaps!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
well let me start off saying if i didnt have my chaps on id be one hurtin puppy right now!

went to go fell some trees, turned out to be prolly the most frusterating day i ever had while cutting. the tree got hung up on everything. i think it grew taller as i cut it just so it could get hung up on stuff. it was even stuck on things that wernt even there. i missed my mark a bit when i felled it and it all went down hill from there. i ended up taking 4ft sections of it at a wack down. after doing this a few times when i was finishing a cut, waiting for the perfect time to bail before it went slamming into the ground i must have brushed the bar against my upper thigh by my hip. luckally the saw wasnt reving or anything it was just roilling to a stop. but i looked down and the chain had a good amount of the kevlar insides on it. my chaps had a bout a 1 or so cut.

now i only been doin this 2-3 years but i usually do pretty good. i shoulda started with the easy ones and left the hard one for later, but i decided to be a big man and go for the biggie right off. im hoping tomorrow i can go back and get to it again hopefully everything will go better.

as far as today goes im glad i didnt get killed. im gonna enjoy burning that tree in my friggin stove lol. funny thing is i left the house and forgot the chaps. i siad ahhh i dont need em then thought better of it and turned back to get em. i also almost took em off cuse i was sweating so damn much.

SO SORRY ABOUT THE LONG POST BUT WEAR YOUR CHAPS BOYS YOU NEVER KNOW:buttkick:

Thanks for the advice. My wife took a safety driving course once and the instructor had one simple phrase--"Seconds for safety." If you think about it: putting on a helmet, a seatbelt, taking a second look, it only takes a second or two to do any of them.

You say it was your worst day cutting but it could have been alot worse. Good job on going back to get your chaps, paid off ten fold. Don't sell your self short either on only cuttin 2-3 yrs, I know alot of guys that don't wear ppe or glasses or even hearing protection and been cuttin a long time, I say your one up on all of them, good job and stay safe.

C.B.

Way to go !!!

Hey '455 I hope my story from last week was somewhere in the back of your head when you decided to go back for your safety gear! I know this story will be in mine the next time I forget them or if it's too hot. Great job and many hours saved by not going to ER and recovery. He's right, I've caught mine 2 times since 2001. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
yeah im sure glad i put em on thats for sure. now i can order the right length atleast. they were a bit too short anyway.

scooter i didnt catch your story last week. i didnt get alot of time on here lastweek i kept falling asleep lol. ill have to look for it a bit later.

Now, go get a new pair, and keep those for a backup and reminder.
Should you hit the same spot, it really will be more than a day of awareness.

WOW!!!! I'm glad that your OK :clap: :clap: . Ive been thinking of buying a pair of Chaps, but when I buy them, I have to buy 3 pairs of Chaps. My Step Son, and my Best Friend, Both help me cut Fire Wood, and Both run Chain Saws as well.
I was looking at a pair from Stihl when I was at the Dealer today. I was there to pick up some Stihl Premium Two Stroke Oil. They were 70.00 a pair. Once I get selling Fire Wood, I'm going to invest some money and get a few pairs. Bruce.

that answers my question

I was going to ask if I realy needed them . I have not had the opportunity to fell a tree yet but I use my saw alot. I was wondering if I should use chaps. well thats a good story thanks for the post im going to get em
Eric

well let me start off saying if i didnt have my chaps on id be one hurtin puppy right now!

went to go fell some trees, turned out to be prolly the most frusterating day i ever had while cutting. the tree got hung up on everything. i think it grew taller as i cut it just so it could get hung up on stuff. it was even stuck on things that wernt even there. i missed my mark a bit when i felled it and it all went down hill from there. i ended up taking 4ft sections of it at a wack down. after doing this a few times when i was finishing a cut, waiting for the perfect time to bail before it went slamming into the ground i must have brushed the bar against my upper thigh by my hip. luckally the saw wasnt reving or anything it was just roilling to a stop. but i looked down and the chain had a good amount of the kevlar insides on it. my chaps had a bout a 1 or so cut.

now i only been doin this 2-3 years but i usually do pretty good. i shoulda started with the easy ones and left the hard one for later, but i decided to be a big man and go for the biggie right off. im hoping tomorrow i can go back and get to it again hopefully everything will go better.

as far as today goes im glad i didnt get killed. im gonna enjoy burning that tree in my friggin stove lol. funny thing is i left the house and forgot the chaps. i siad ahhh i dont need em then thought better of it and turned back to get em. i also almost took em off cuse i was sweating so damn much.

SO SORRY ABOUT THE LONG POST BUT WEAR YOUR CHAPS BOYS YOU NEVER KNOW:buttkick:

Good end to your story! I've many times thought about it beening to hot to put on my chaps...then I think about my family, a medical bill, time off work and so on...and the chaps go on without hestitation. I try and cut as if I don't have them on. I try to stand to the side of my saw when in the cut (out of the line of the bar), try to have good footing and balance before going into a cut, knowing where the end of my bar is and stuff like that.

Kevin

WOW!!!! I'm glad that your OK :clap: :clap: . Ive been thinking of buying a pair of Chaps, but when I buy them, I have to buy 3 pairs of Chaps. My Step Son, and my Best Friend, Both help me cut Fire Wood, and Both run Chain Saws as well.
I was looking at a pair from Stihl when I was at the Dealer today. I was there to pick up some Stihl Premium Two Stroke Oil. They were 70.00 a pair. Once I get selling Fire Wood, I'm going to invest some money and get a few pairs. Bruce.

Three pair cost much less than one stop to the clinic for stitches, not to mention the a$$ reaming you will get from the matriarc. But then, you know your limitations and environment.

Three pair cost much less than one stop to the clinic for stitches, not to mention the a$$ reaming you will get from the matriarc. But then, you know your limitations and environment.

I just bought the labonville 10 ply competition full chaps, green. cost about 129 delivered to my door, should be here late this week. They were a little expensive because I am 6'5" and got the 10 ply over the 6 ply.

Can't wait to surprise the wife someday walking around with those on with nothing on underneath...

C:popcorn:

i dont think their all equal. i had the 6 layer laybonville ones. those are what i cut into. the wife went out and suprised me by getting me new ones from tsc. they were husqvarna ones, very light weight. too lightweight in my book while they seemed to be very nice i told her i like them but id rather have something a little thicker between my leg and the chain. she understood and we brought them back. i will be ordering another set from laybonville (spelling) with shipping its a hair over $80. now this time i know to order the ones a bit longer than regular length.

Good thread!

And timely too...I'm getting ready to shop for chaps myself (and have never owned them eiether!)...watch out for snakes!

I don't own a set of chaps, anyone else want to offer up some advice on buying a set? Brands, construction, weight, etc...

Safety

To all of you that preach saftey on this site, please don't ever stop. After reading your posts about safety I purchased a set of chaps and a hardhat with the ear muffs and face shield. Mostly wanted the face shield to keep the saw dust out of my eyes, for some reason a little bit of tree dust will make my eyes water and itch like mad. The other day I was cutting up a nice cherry blow down that had a oak and a maple laying ontop of it. Did some clearing of limbs and figured I had every thing all set. The cherry was suspended about 3 feet in the air and I had about a 20 foot section that I wanted to drop on the ground , cut the end touching the ground first and then the raised end. When that baby hit the ground some how it flipped a branch up and it smacked my right on the ear. Never seen it coming. Took a few seconds to figure out what had happened and then I said a little thank you to God and you guys that preach saftey. Believe me, it would have left a mark if I didn't have that equipment on.
Thanks to all that PREACH. :clap:

Carl

Back