Wear Your Chaps!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm heading out today to buys some chaps and a helmet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before a few years ago I was an idiot and used only gloves and eye protection. Then I cut a spring about 4" in diameter that was over some power lines in an ice storm and that f***ing thing hit me in the forehead as hard as I've ever been hit by anything. I stumbled away, shut off my saw, and took off my gloves. I reached up to feel my forehead and got to touch my own cranium with my fingers. Funny thing was I could feel a big gap in my skin and the various other fleshy meat that comprised my forehead and there really wasn't much blood. So I turned to my Father who was helping me and asked him how bad my head was. He turned GREY! So after a trip to the ER and a very skilled (I'm lucky they were good) stitch job (15 inside and about a dozen outside they made me purty again. The moral of the story is to WEAR A HELMET !!!!. For simple bucking now I don't wear one, but for all other cutting and felling ALWAYS. And chaps are a MUST. I've caught my Husqvarna chaps 2 times(minor enough to Duct tape) in the last 4 years and they stopped that saw dead. I'm real happy with my Husky Helmet, Gloves, and chaps. Also STEEL toe boots !!!!

This is reposted from another thread, I thought my story could save someone from getting hurt.

chaps

I don't own a set of chaps, anyone else want to offer up some advice on buying a set? Brands, construction, weight, etc...

I got mine at labonville, i am 6'6'' and wear a inseam of 36'' i ordered my chaps at 44'' or 8'' longer than my inseam. they were the only place that had that length. They fit perfect, are very comfortable and i like to wear them. Very well built chaps. I ordered the ones in thier video that didnt cut threw i believe the were over 80 with shipping.

I got mine at labonville, i am 6'6'' and wear a inseam of 36'' i ordered my chaps at 44'' or 8'' longer than my inseam. they were the only place that had that length. They fit perfect, are very comfortable and i like to wear them. Very well built chaps. I ordered the ones in thier video that didnt cut threw i believe the were over 80 with shipping.

So when you order these you need to order longer than your inseam? Why is this?

EDIT: Okay, I see they say to measure from belt to the top of your foot. I wear a 32" inseam. Taking a quick measurement it looks like 37" or 38" chaps would be ideal for me. It looks like they come in either 36" or 40". Will I be okay with the 36" chaps, or do these things bunch up and get uncomfortable if they are and inch or two short? OTOH, I don't want them to be to long and be in the way either...

I was going to spend the extra money on their "Competition Full-Wrap Chainsaw Chaps". Since I'm spending the $, 10 layers sounds safer than 6, but I see you can't return them either so I want to make sure they fit properly!

Last edited:
So when you order these you need to order longer than your inseam? Why is this?

EDIT: Okay, I see they say to measure from belt to the top of your foot. I wear a 32" inseam. Taking a quick measurement it looks like 37" or 38" chaps would be ideal for me. It looks like they come in either 36" or 40". Will I be okay with the 36" chaps, or do these things bunch up and get uncomfortable if they are and inch or two short? OTOH, I don't want them to be to long and be in the way either...

I was going to spend the extra money on their "Competition Full-Wrap Chainsaw Chaps". Since I'm spending the $, 10 layers sounds safer than 6, but I see you can't return them either so I want to make sure they fit properly!

I think they just make them that way, so you can easily order the length from the waist to where you boot is. Taking out the variable of how or where you wear your beltline will make it more precise.

My measurement was 41" from belt to instep, I ordered 40" 10 plys.

C

Thanks for your help guys... I ordered the 10 ply chaps and a set of boots. This is something I should have done a long time ago given the number of times I've nicked my pants and boots.

:monkey:

Thanks for your help guys... I ordered the 10 ply chaps and a set of boots. This is something I should have done a long time ago given the number of times I've nicked my pants and boots.

:monkey:

If you are getting them from labonville, they shouldnt give you a problem if they neeed to be returned. just an fyi when i ordered mine there was a thread going on them and most guys had to add 8'' to their std inseam to get the right length

im glad this thread has gotten some people to buy chaps. makes me feel all warm inside lol. anyway i should get more ppe myself. i wear gloves and earmuffs. i occasionally wear safety glasses but as often as i should. i been thinking of a helmet but im still unsure what one to get. i just have regular workboots. the steel toe boots i do have are kinda like sneakers so they get full of chips when i cut so i dont use them.

a side note when i was cutting up that monster oak 4'9" across i was about half way down the tree and bang a piece maybe 2x2 flew off the tree and hit me square between the eyes. i cursed to myself but didnt stop the cut. it was just a little more reason to have a shield or somesort of face protection.

Well after a $220 bill from the dealer I now have a helmet and some chaps plus got my saws looked over..
weeeeee..

I tried a few different sized chaps on and ended up with a good fit. I can wear them with a belt and wear them solo or come winter they should fit over a pair of work pants. Helmets is nice takes a bit of getting used to but I like..

I learned to wear a helmet when a little rotten branch fell and ripped my glasses off my face as I was cutting down a beech tree. Got a little ding on my brow from it. Had I been wearing a helmet the branch would have caught my visor and I'm guessing hurt my neck. But compared with taking a hit on my head I'm never playing those odds again.

I learned to wear chaps when I was stumping a dogwood tree. Little 2" stump and a 20+" bar. As the stump came free it got caught by the chain and was pulled down to the bar tip and took the chain off. The chain wound up wrapped around my leg. It happened 25 yrs ago and I still have a vivid memory of seeing that chain go around my leg. Only damage was that it pulled a thread out of my jeans.

I remember those trees. Both were very cheap lessons.

I learned to wear a helmet when a little rotten branch fell and ripped my glasses off my face as I was cutting down a beech tree. Got a little ding on my brow from it. Had I been wearing a helmet the branch would have caught my visor and I'm guessing hurt my neck. But compared with taking a hit on my head I'm never playing those odds again.

I learned to wear chaps when I was stumping a dogwood tree. Little 2" stump and a 20+" bar. As the stump came free it got caught by the chain and was pulled down to the bar tip and took the chain off. The chain wound up wrapped around my leg. It happened 25 yrs ago and I still have a vivid memory of seeing that chain go around my leg. Only damage was that it pulled a thread out of my jeans.

I remember those trees. Both were very cheap lessons.
I know that I need to get some Chaps. Right now, things are very tight. When I buy, I have to buy 3 pairs. One pair for me, and one pair for my Step Son, and one pair for my best friend who also helps me with the cutting. Bruce.

I was out cutting today and while I don't yet own chaps I will soon. What I immediately need is a good helmet system. I wear safety glasses but for some reason almost everytime I cut wood I end up with a chip in a eye. I've had stuff dug out of my eyes at the ER in the past. For some reason my eyes seem to be a magnet.

Labonville is where I'll be ordering chaps from due to their good rep around here and the fact that they're a sponser. But can someone point me in the right direction for a full helmet setup? Bailey's carries a few or should I just stop in at the Stihl dealer? I've got no problem wearing hardhats, I've had jobs in the past that they were mandatory.

I was just at the local TSC yesterday. They were out. I'll check back next week. I think their helmets are Husqvarna.

I see Labonville carries one. It's only $25. But all of the pieces are replaceable and they sell them. Does anyone have experience with their helmet? If they're any good, I'll just order the chaps and helmet at the same time.

I was just at the local TSC yesterday. They were out. I'll check back next week. I think their helmets are Husqvarna.

I see Labonville carries one. It's only $25. But all of the pieces are replaceable and they sell them. Does anyone have experience with their helmet? If they're any good, I'll just order the chaps and helmet at the same time.

also try lowes
bought my husky helmet system there 45 out the door, fits great
ears, and screen mask.
does the job

I just ordered a set of the ten layer comp chaps and helmet from Labonville. Everything arrived quickly and I'm more than satisfied with the quality of both. The chaps are pretty thick and the helmet is pretty much the same thing the others are selling. I would order from them again in the future.

FWIW, I also ordered a pair of closeout chainsaw boots from Labonville I though there were going to be small since they said to order 1 size larger and I ordered my actual size, but they fit pretty good. For the $45 (or whatever I paid for them), they were money very well spent.

also try lowes
bought my husky helmet system there 45 out the door, fits great
ears, and screen mask.
does the job

i would shy away from anything that may need parts from a big box retailer, i just dont think the agrivation of trying to order parts for a helmet would be worth it. Stihl on the other hand has all the parts readily available, and these type of retailers would be able to find adn order the parts in a matter of 10 minutes where lowes would probabley take an hour before someone found the book. I own a stihl helmet system 49 out the door and love it, well built product that i know i can get parts for.

i would shy away from anything that may need parts from a big box retailer, i just dont think the agrivation of trying to order parts for a helmet would be worth it. Stihl on the other hand has all the parts readily available, and these type of retailers would be able to find adn order the parts in a matter of 10 minutes where lowes would probabley take an hour before someone found the book. I own a stihl helmet system 49 out the door and love it, well built product that i know i can get parts for.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp..._____14455|14456|14457|44260?listingPage=true

http://www.smithfarmandgarden.com/parts-detail.asp?VehicleID=20494

they both do the same job, and if my helmet needs parts
it is because, it got hit by something big, so i will just get a new COMPLETE helmet. my head is to important to f-around with. but i guess if you abuse your equipment, you might need replacement parts.

Last edited:
Husky

I'm happy with my Husky helmet. In the future my $$$ will go to Labonville (I have spent a couple hundred $ at Bailey's) because they sponser this forum. Thank you to all of the sponsers who help maintain this FREE resource for all of us!

Back