Wear Your Chaps!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
labonvills has a 10% off code too on the front page for online orders. ill prolly make on order tomorrow but the 6 layer chaps in 36 length and that helm after the code were $100 shipped. you cant beat that. too bad i have big ass feet i woulda went for those boots too but the biggest they had were 9's.

If you are getting them from labonville, they shouldnt give you a problem if they neeed to be returned. just an fyi when i ordered mine there was a thread going on them and most guys had to add 8'' to their std inseam to get the right length

The 10 plys are not returnable; they're "special order" and can't be sent back. I got a pair myself of the bright red/orange ones a couple months back. My green baileys chaps had seen enough barbed wire & rusted truck panel cuts in the nylon & got eaten by the washer last time they went through. The baileys ones were fine, I just wanted the best I thought I could get. The labonville chaps are rated UL class A for chainsaw competitions; I figure if they're designed to stop hotsaws, they'll do fine if I f(*&k myself up with my saw. I really like the labonville chaps. They're definitely heavy, though, which is part of why I like them. Just don't wear carharts under them in the humid virginia summer---you'll be drinking gallons of water to keep up with the sweat.

Edit; I had one gripe about the labonvilles; I should've ordered at least 4 inches bigger than my inseam; this way, you can ride the chaps up a bit and get protection all the way from your hips to the tops of your boots. Otherwise, like every chaps manufacturer, you lose the first 4 inches or so--there's never any kevlar there-doesn't matter who makes them, labonville, husky, stihl, baileys, whatever.

Last edited:
i would shy away from anything that may need parts from a big box retailer, i just dont think the agrivation of trying to order parts for a helmet would be worth it. Stihl on the other hand has all the parts readily available, and these type of retailers would be able to find adn order the parts in a matter of 10 minutes where lowes would probabley take an hour before someone found the book. I own a stihl helmet system 49 out the door and love it, well built product that i know i can get parts for.

Well said.

I began running saws a lot in 1977 (tender age of 15 years old) I've been wearing chaps since I knew there was such a thing, since about 1980 or 81, whenever I run a saw. I've never cut my chaps but I've seen several very experienced, proficient cutters slice their chaps open. One guy jammed so much kevlar into the tip of his bar we never could get it to spin again.

I always tell people chaps are like a woods lifestyle aid. On a cold day, you can slip your hands behind your chaps to warm them up, less of a commitment than putting your hands in your pockets. In the marginally cool weather we get in Northern Cal, they make a sort of bridge between wearing long johns and not needing them.

While holding a non-running saw, you can rest the saw on your chap protected thigh and keep your pants clean and experience less arm strain (lazy, I know). You can kneel down and not worry as much about rocks under your knee with chaps on. At lunch you can take them off, fold them up and sit on them and keep your backside warm and dry. Of course, you can wrap them around a bar to pad your shoulder for carrying a longer saw in or out of the woods.

With in the next year or two, I hoping to teach my Daughter how to run a Chain Saw. That is if she wants to learn. I would like to get her some chaps as well, when that time comes.
I was wondering if a person could buy a pair of chaps, and have them hemmed in the leg for fit, and let the hem down as she grows? I've never had any experience with chaps, and I figure this is the best place for me to ask. Thanks for all your help and advice about this Subject.
I was already talking to my Best Friend, and my Step Son, about me buying 3 pairs of them. I already have 3 Helmets equipped with Ear Muffs, and Face Shield for us to wear, and Ear Muffs for any one else who is around in the Bush while the Chain Saws are running.
Thanks again for your help, and advice. Bruce.

I got my green comp chaps from labonville yesterday. Got the 40", wish I would have gotten the 44" though.

Cory

I got my green comp chaps from labonville yesterday. Got the 40", wish I would have gotten the 44" though.

Cory
What size inseam to you wear (jeans)?

I got mine last week as well, same color and model. I needed a 38", but they sold them in 36" or 40". I bought the 36" and I think they will work for me, but they are a hair short. I did talk to them and they are willing to exchange them, despite what the website says, but I'm afraid the 40" will be a little long and might be an issue in the field. Since I have chainsaw boots, I think I'm probably going to stick with the slight short 36" chaps.

As a side note, these things are pretty thick. I'm not sure how often I'll wear these in the heat of the summer, but they should be comfortable in the cool weather.

What size inseam to you wear (jeans)?

I got mine last week as well, same color and model. I needed a 38", but they sold them in 36" or 40". I bought the 36" and I think they will work for me, but they are a hair short. I did talk to them and they are willing to exchange them, despite what the website says, but I'm afraid the 40" will be a little long and might be an issue in the field. Since I have chainsaw boots, I think I'm probably going to stick with the slight short 36" chaps.

As a side note, these things are pretty thick. I'm not sure how often I'll wear these in the heat of the summer, but they should be comfortable in the cool weather.

When i ordered mine from labonville, i ordered them 8" longer than my std inseam 36" to 44" fit perfect. Yes the can get a little hot, but like wearing a long sleeve shirt to cut wood when it is 90+ degrees out ( my wife thinks i am crazy) they do protect you and once the sweat gets soaked into your pants they are actually cooler than not wearing them just MHO

When i ordered mine from labonville, i ordered them 8" longer than my std inseam 36" to 44" fit perfect. Yes the can get a little hot, but like wearing a long sleeve shirt to cut wood when it is 90+ degrees out ( my wife thinks i am crazy) they do protect you and once the sweat gets soaked into your pants they are actually cooler than not wearing them just MHO

I wear 36" or 34" inseam, and measured like the website said from waist to instep and measured at 41", so I got 40". They are too short, maybe I will talk to them and see if they will exchange for 44". I am 6'5" about 215.

Cory

I wear 36" or 34" inseam, and measured like the website said from waist to instep and measured at 41", so I got 40". They are too short, maybe I will talk to them and see if they will exchange for 44". I am 6'5" about 215.

Cory

They will exchange them.

Back