Wearing chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wearing chaps

• i always wear chaps when running saws on the ground

Votes: 48 37.5%
  • sometimes I do, sometimes I dont

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I never wear chaps they are for sissys

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I wear chainsaw pants, instead of chaps

Votes: 19 14.8%

• Total voters
Chaps

Chaps are good for what they're intended for. I used them when I first started. I guess if they made a pair practical to use in a tree I'd probably use them. My boss gave me a pair of pants, but haven't used them yet. They're a little warm. When it gets a little bit colder I might try them for a day. If they seem practical I'll probably use them. Other problem with the pants is the price. If we're supose to use them day in and day out. They need to bring them down a few dollars so we can have a couple of pairs. other wise I'll just stick to my arborwear pants.

Chaps

I have two brand new pair from Peltor, given to me by Aearo Safety for field-testing. I am sort of ashamed of the fact that I've never even given them a try. Heat has a lot to do with it, but basic laziness toward putting them on is my only real legitimate excuse. I have touched myself with the saw three times in the last 9 years, one resulting in a hospital visit. Two of the three were in-tree accidents. All, I must believe, would not have happened if I were wearing chaps. All, I must also believe, would not have happened had I been focussed on what I should have been paying attention to at the time. The fact remains, it only takes once.
I wear Husqvarna chainsaw pants in the Winter because they're warm and comfy, and they look more professional than the black jeans I'm accustomed to wearing.
I'm going to wear the chaps in the coming days so I can report on their use with at least SOME authority. Besides, the weather's cooler now and I have less excuse.

converted wearer

After a brief encounter eith my 357xp that cost me 24 stitches in the side of my knee, I went out and bought myself a pair. They go on along with my safety glasses and earmuffs (the neat "Worktunes" 'muffs by AOSafety that have an AM/FM radio built in - makes the day go by faster). The way I figure it, the three most important pieces of PPE are eye/ear protection, and chaps. Being from Michigan, I don't get the heat near as much as you guys down south. However, I have worked a good amount near Memphis also. The whole trick is keeping hydrated. As ong as you keep fluids coming in, one can make it through a hot day just fine, chaps and all.

If you can't handle the heat, move north until you can.

Nate, you are stating your opinion, not facts, when you say it is too hot, that we have no idea, that chaps are more dangerous, that one can't stay hydrated, or that seatbelts are only for accidents for which you aren't responsible. Please be open to the occassional possibility that someone else may know something you don't.

Also....most chainsaw accidents occur below the waist, hence the chaps regulations. Honestly, chainsaw pants make me feel a small amount warmer but not enough to forgo insulation in the winter. I can't even tell when I'm wearing chaps. Plus, if someone hasn't used them, how can they tell they would be hot?

Nickrosis

Nick thanks for yer 2 cents but read a little before replying and tugging on my ear. When did I say I haven't used them? I wore them daily for almost a year. Many of those days were 85+/- 3degrees. That was working in Austria and Germany.

In Texas, it is too hot. Getting to where I could use them now. The high here is only 80 today. The other 9 months, it is hot. I know it is hard to imagine but at a certain point, reguardless of hydration, the body can overheat. I personally don't have a problem there but I have my secrets. Dress super light in cotton, and yes, drink a gallon of water by 9 if you are going to be humpin it.

Nick- thanks fer yer OPINION

ps - seriously!!! -- currently seeking job in cooler climate

Nate, the second paragraph was aimed towards everyone, I knew you had worn chaps. My goal in commenting is to help others be safe, that's all.

Nickrosis

I think they should be worn just the same as seatbelts. Comfort should not be the decisive factor. Extreme heat is different.

Sorry if I was crabby Nick - XANDER's attitude got me a bit po-ed.

It has been stated here and elsewhere that our BRAIN is our best safety device. It is also a proven fact that extreme heat can and will affect the brain to the point of not functioning properly or as quickly as normal. With the heat in my area, I believe it is typically more dangerous overall to wear chaps/ chainsaw pants than not. A typical person wearing chaps in FL and trying to work in the heat all day will be much more likely to injure himself by some means than the person dressed intelligently.

It's a judgement call in my mind. IF I wear chaps I may protect my legs from that once-in-a-lifetime saw injury, but I would be much more likely to injure myself in some manner because of decreased mental capacity due to overheating. Each person/situation is different and a blanket rule would be counter productive.

I won't 'vote', but I hope you don't mind if a 'non-pro' asks a question. I've never seen chainsaw pants but have been enjoying the above discussions. I looked at the eBay link and they look just like the coveralls I wear in the winter when I'm feeding cattle and cutting wood....except in 'overall' style.

Do they 'move' at all? Do they weigh alot? Are they an article of clothing that you can actually work in or is climbing in/out of a tractor or truck something that isn't pleasant with them on? I'm short (5'1")....can they be cut/sewn if you need to shorten them?

I don't do the amount or type of chainsaw work that you all do (just enough to keep the fires burning at home) but I can't imagine it would be a bad idea.

Che

Chain Saw Pants

The chainsaw pants I have are not bibs but are more like jeans and to tell the truth I have gotten used to wearing them and they feel like jeans, espcially the lighter weight ones. in winter all I do is thrown a pair of Carhardts on top. I think they could be shortened, though you would need quite an industrial strength sewing maching to get thru the 7 layers of padding on the leg bottom.

I am only 5'6" on a good day, and never have bothered to have them shortened.

165, I couldn't have said it better. Tree work is about keeping you wits about you and not making mistakes. Good judgement, concentration, keepingyer problem solver in the ON position at all times. Heat and dehydration dimpair jusdgement. Wearing a helmet like you should in the tree is going to up yiur heat index, too, and you have to decide yourself whether that measure of 'ideal safety' makes your job less safe. You d' guy with the saw. You are the person responsible for everything, all mistakes and misjudgements. 'Do what you feel is safest' is my take on whether or not to wear chaps (and trust me, I AM a safety freak).

Helmets

I don't want to take this too far off topic, but wanted to quickly say that the newer climbing helmets are very light and the ventilated ones do not make you considerably hotter.

When I worked for Davey Tree I was required to wear a company hardhat whenever I was on a job. This included when climbing. It was hot, bulky, had no ventilation, and no chin strap. Completely worthless in a tree, but blanket rules had been put in place to protect the idiots from themselves. Mine managed to 'fall off' within a few minutes of my ascent into a tree almost every day. Despite my poor experience with required head protection, I purchased my first climbing helmet earlier this year. I've worn it every day when climbing since and would not climb without it now. If Davey had issued a USEABLE piece of safety equipment, I would have worn it gladly.

I feel the same about chaps or chainsaw pants. 7 layers of ANYTHING is not feasable in my temp. zone. If I found a pair of saw pants that I could wear without increasing my risk of accidents, I would wear them.

I am reading some of these posts and shaking my head.
First of all, Nate, I have worked in Texas, in July, in chaps. As you can see, I did make it and still am alive. You have alot more potential for losing heat through you head than your legs. Maybe you should forgo the helmet as well. You could put on a speedo and a halter top and ensure you kept your wits about you. Just an idea.:p

Additionally, I wear chaps while climbing every time. Except for the occasional twig that snags I haven't ever notice them limiting my mobility or being detrimantal in any way. If you don't want to do something you can always find an excuse not to do it.
Lets pretend for a minute the Government mandated wearing chaps while operating a chainsaw. Would you be out of work or hand saw everything? I doubt it, you'd probably be unhappy and wear chaps. If everyone decides to never wear chaps again its no skin off my back. I just don't agree with your reasoning for not wearing them. I know firsthand that it is possible to wear chaps while climbing and still perform in 100+ degree weather. If you don't feel you can do it I'll accept that. Just please don't pretend your own personal limits are everyone elses limits.

husky chaps

I'm not trying to advertise for Husqvarna, but I find their chaps are very comfortable in just about all conditions. I have had a few minor twig snags, but that happens to me more on my bootlaces :) The straps are easily adjusted to fit over whatever clothing you might have on depending on the weather.

My Personal Research

I did a study today comparing the heat factor of chaps versus chainsaw pants. Chaps are defined as protective equipment that is worn over your pants and snapped behind the legs and at the waist. Chainsaw pants are a full pair of pants with built-in protection. In other words, as a male, you can legally wear only chainsaw pants in public. You may receive a citation for wearing only chaps.

Today's weather was no more than 40 degrees, and during light work, my legs were sweating with chainsaw pants on. My upper body was shivering with 2 t-shirts on. Conclusion: Chainsaw pants are really warm!

Comparing to chaps.....in similar weather conditions, I found wearing chaps to be marginally insulating. The most insulating component was the sawyer's helmet and the chainsaw booties I was wearing. Conclusion: Chaps have a very small insulating factor and should not be considered when talking about heat.

My feeling is that if heat is an issue, wear chaps! You will hardly notice them from the temperature perspective. If you're cold, put on a pair of chainsaw pants. For now, though, we need to distinguish chainsaw pants from chaps. If you can live the South, you can wear chaps.

Nickrosis

It was 91 here yesterday, October 29! I certainly appreciate the 'heat' research you did Nick. I'll keep it in mind when it gets down to 40* here.

Latest posts

Back