Wearing chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wearing chaps

• i always wear chaps when running saws on the ground

Votes: 48 37.5%
  • sometimes I do, sometimes I dont

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I never wear chaps they are for sissys

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I wear chainsaw pants, instead of chaps

Votes: 19 14.8%

• Total voters
Che

Chainsaw pants or overalls are available. Many people prefer the overalls to allow air circulation around the waist, a comfort thing. The ballistic does add some weight. The manufacturer routinely adds the ballistic pads to the front of the pants. We also get pads added to the back of the lower leg. Costs a little more ($15 CAN) , but added protection.

You should never sew throught the ballistic material. Doing so can affect the way the nylon will pull, and it may not pull properly to jam the chain if you made contact. To be safe, you may have to supply your measurements and have them made to order. Ask the supplier or manufacturer.

I have not found a pair of pants that feel comfortable. The cut of the pants are designed for men. They may have them for women, but I haven't found them. Another comfort issue, and why I prefer overalls.

Thanks, trees4life With your warning/description in mind, whatever seam they put on, if a needle could go through, I'm sure I could match the design...possibly they're just sealed.....BUT....I lost out on the auction in the last 20 seconds so I'll put my thimble away. I will keep my eye open though.

The 'fit' was the reason these overalls caught my attention. It seems sturdy protective or work wear for women is not readily availbable. Normally you can get 'sturdy' or you can get 'fit/fashion'....it's difficult to get both, much of the work wear for females that I've found is made of a lessor, lighter grade of materials...so I've quit looking. Overalls tend to be forgiving of gender.

Che

Chaps should not be optional

OK guys... I'm new here but this one should not be discussed. If you don't use chaps... you can get seriously hurt.

I know all about heat and/or humidity... SW Arkansas for 2 years in forestry and fire fighting... 2 years with USFS fire crew in New Mexico. You think it's bad when it's 90 and 70% humidity? Try those heat levels and a forest fire around you for as far as you can see? Chaps were put on and not taken off... why?... because heat and physical exertion lead to shortcuts, reduced attention, and eventually mistakes. In the USFS, firelines are built by 2 guys with saws cutting a fireline ahead of 18 guys trying to catch up by digging a fireline. Heat, elevation, and hiking miles carrying all your equipment and fuel and oil definitely leads to tired workers before work ever starts.
Now I cut trees in parks and roadsides in tennessee and we had 28 days of heat index over 105 in a row... It's still way easier then all my previous saw experience.

CityUF, WELCOME! We discuss a lot of safety stuff here-and disagree about a lot of it. Fundamentally there are 2 outlooks on safety equipment and procedures:
1. ANSI says, I say, Uncle Harry said, It came to me in a dream, an alien told me, etc, that this is safe so everyone should do it MY way.
2. Everyone has the right and obligation to make informed decisions about safety issues.
If, as a lover of freedom and believer in personal responsibility, you choose #2 as your outlook then these discussions have value. Part of the discussion always comes down to a disagreement about the 2 philosophies but for those of us who have the 2nd viewpooint that is a okay.
:)

Hey there,
Sorry if I came across poorly... but... I'm one of those people who feels very strongly about safety.

For example: I put on chaps, safety glasses and ear protection before I even warm up the saw.

I can still cut faster than my 2 guys pulling it away so I don't sacrifce production for safety.

Anyway... I keep it cool

I cut myself off on that last one...

I'll keep it cool here is what I meant to say.

Enjoying all the info found here

CityUF, I hope I wasn't coming across as upset about your comments. I just wanted to give my perspective on the value of the discussion. We're cool and again I say welcome.:cool:

Originally posted by treeclimber165
It was 91 here yesterday, October 29! I certainly appreciate the 'heat' research you did Nick. I'll keep it in mind when it gets down to 40* here.

Yeah, let us all know when it approaches freezing. That's usually pretty noteworthy.

I think CityUF and I are going to get along great! I LOVE the point that mistakes happen when we're hot and tired - which is a great reason for wearing safety protection.

I see the argument that you might screw up while wearing chaps that could cause an accident your chaps can't protect you from. But remember, you're not in the tree with chaps, you're on the ground. You can take a break any time you need to - sit under a tree for 10 minutes, hop in the cab and blow some air on yourself, whatever cools you down. You don't have the option in a tree, but you don't have to wear chaps while climbing in the US, so it's a moot point.

I agree with CityUF about chaps. You can't afford to not wear them. And I don't want to hear from just Tex and Brian - what about the other Northerners who don't always wear chaps?

Nickrosis

PS...I had a one-line answer, but I didn't want it to get deleted.

Last edited:
Talked to a guy yester day that managed to cut his femoral artery with a the new 440. Helicopter ride, surgery, etc. The new saw just had more power than his old 044. I ran a 440 yesterday and it seemed to have a lot more kickback/power than my 044. maybe it is just newer. I can see the importance of chaps. In a cooler climate or on cool days like today in TX, why would you not wear them.

I don't understand why motorcycle guys don't wear helmets - maybe it is the same thing??

I don't wear chaps....yet. That is an item that i have been wanting to buy but have just not done so yet. I don't see myself climbing with them, but will wear them on the ground.. when I get them....
Watch,this weekend I'll nick myself and be sitting in the ER saying I was gonna spend the $50 but I just didn't get around to it. Reminds me of what my grandmother used to say, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".
I met a climber a few weeks ago who was showing me all of his scars from 20yrs climbing. He spiked himself about 3 times in varous spots on his legs, and has had stiches about 8 times from chainsaw mishaps. I met this guy at the saw shop and after telling me how he would climb for me if I ever need him, he starts showing me proof of his 20 yrs experience, scars.... Yeah, I want this guy working with me.....
Greg

Originally posted by Greg

I met a climber a few weeks ago who was showing me all of his scars from 20yrs climbing......after telling me how he would climb for me if I ever need him, he starts showing me proof of his 20 yrs experience, scars.... Yeah, I want this guy working with me.....
Greg

I hope you have time and patience! Sounds like you may have found a slow learner.

Just remember......It's easy to be hard.........It's hard to be smart!

My 2 cents......Again!

I worked with a few guys like that, one with 20, one with five. The guy with five years had 3 seriouse saw accidents. That an many saw nicks in his boots:eek:.

I tried to pass on some wisdom, brought onto some other jobs. He refused to listen, got testy. He mouthed off after we asked him twice to not smoke while filling saws. lost track of him.

The guy with 20 years was caught doing side jobs on sick time with company equipment.....

Guys who don't wear a motorcycle helmet simply value other organs more than their brains, and therefore don't see the need to wear one. As for chain saw chaps, they don't protect the highest valued organ anyway, so they don't wear them either, but for a different reason.:D

This is a really good thread. I'm a manager and trainer. All of our men wear chaps on the ground { standard operating procedure}. Their problem is not that they find them combersum they just forget or do not want to walk to the truck. As far as climbing only a couple guys wear them during removals including myself. We wear pants, the buckles are a problem when climbing. Must of the debate has been about heat. I sweat like a pig and heat effects does effect me. But I need to set an example so I prepare. Once the temps. reach upper 80's with high humidity I sweat bad. I'm so hot already the pants do'nt seem to make a difference. But beeing in good shape seems to help. I work hard but I also play hard so I can deal with the heat. I'm pro chaps on the ground. As far as climbing I like em. But I do not make our guys wear'em while climbing. I do encourage them to.

Chaps vs Leggings

I have never worn the so called chap. I use the Stihl leggings. They are like two pant legs with ballistic material. You just slide each one over your pants, then it goes over your belt and has a velcro pad. I like them because there are no strings or anything in the way. But they have no crotch protection. Have any of you other guys worn them, and if so do you like them?:cool:

Always Always Always

The first thing I do in the morning is put on my Chainsaw Pants (well not the first, but you get the picture)

I don't let anyone on the crew start a saw without protection, in the tree or on the ground. HH, eye, ear, pant/chaps, and decent boots! I could care less about gloves, but I recommend them on the big saws.

Not only is it the Law, but these things were engineered to reduce the likelyhood of injury in our field. They were not concured up by some Authority tryng to make our life difficult. We might see a decline in our insurance rates if everyone always wore their PPE, and the "fermoral artery' symdrome decreased

As for the heat, well you get accustomed to it, drink lots of water, take'em off at break, etc. As for the comment about Northern Clime's wearing them, It easily hits +35C here, plus humdity in the Niagara region, But we still wear them.

I don't like climbers wearing chaps because I fear it's more to get caught, and I don't like chapped workers feeding the chipper, same reason. Everyone gets issued pants (I figure that's cheaper then the insurance hike if someone cuts up a leg) , but we keep chaps around just incase.

My two cents

No one in our city crew even knew what chaps were untill I complained to our city manager that they were not available to us to use. Boy did that piss off my boss, the superintendant. He was told to get some immediatly. Because the other guys were trained by him, they don't want to wear them. Same old lame "too hot", "uncomfortable" excuses. It is the law. If we want respect, do it right and obey the law. I've worn em on 90 plus days and yeah, they get hot. That is what breaks are for. My boss now has me do the toughest take downs and the finest detail jobs. No one ever stood up to him about what is right. If you care about legs ( mine are kinda nice ) then protect them.:eek:

Have any of you guys worn the leggings and what do you think of them?

Denim Protective Leggings Wash and Wear
Feature pads with 6 or 9 layers of Engtex® sewn-in, cut-retardant material. Velcro belt fasteners and zippered leg openings offer extra comfort and convenience. Full cut for ease of movement. 65/35 poly/cotton blen

trees for life,

They are made by Stihl...so just ask a Stihl distributor if you have one there:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back