wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, what the hell happened to the dogs on that Husky in the pic?

here's a new shipment of "little fellers" gettin' a trim before gettin' put on the shelf fer sale:D

i realize that different spots around the world need spikes
but around here aint one of 'um:rock:

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/?action=view&current=jim-dandy.flv

BUMPER016.jpg

Last edited:
if you ever get a chance to try 91VS give it a try
you might change your opinion

I will keep it in mind! ;)

Do you suggest 6 or 7-pin rim for that size of saw?

here's a new shipment of "little fellers" gettin' a trim before gettin' put on the shelf fer sale:D

i realize that different spots around the world need spikes
but around here aint one of 'um:rock: ....

Not around here either, usually, and then only on larger saws.

Last edited:
Just noticed this thread.

I had this happen about 1.5 years ago. Wedging over a big Black Cherry. Was driving 3 wedges stacked 2" apart, with bore cuts and one with my original cut. I started them all, and drove home the bottom two. I started the third which was in my back cut, and it would stay in. I got VERY frustrated and gave it a good three whacks. On the second whack it backed out a little but I didn't notice. My adrenaline was going, and I was angry. I hit it the third time with everything I had. The wedge popped out, hit me sideway on the point of my chin. Knocked me out! I awoke on my hands and knees to my buddy asking are you OK? I remember looking down and seeing a pool of blood under me, and thinking look at the situation and answer that dumb question yourself.

I cleaned it up, got the tree on the ground, limbed it up (everything was staying), got paid and drove myself to the hospital for 6 stitches.

Not fun! Less is more with wedges.

always with me

I got a nice little bag in all trucks with the same wedges and maul and several blocks 2 2x4 and 2 4x4 these are convenient and no need to stack wedges

one of us may not understand. were we useing wedges to fell and some of those wedges pop out when stacked help me out clearance

I am confused too. What are the blocks of wood for? And why not stack wedges? When done properly, like anything else, it is perfectly safe.

axe weight

I don't think it has been mentioned that axe wieght plays a role in wedges spitting. Previously when I felled timber in the mountians of BC, I tryed to get away with carrying as little wieght as possible with me. I soon found to little wieght on the axe seemd to spit wedges more often then with heavier axes, mainly due striking harder and less accuratly. Any one else noticed the role axe wieght plays?
Incidently a few years ago I was in oregon and california falling trees on a large fire and noticed the local fire fighter hot shot guys were carrying what can only be described as battle axes with the mandate to put a wedge in every tree regardless of lean. THese axes were massive with three foot long handles; is that normal for that part of the world. I would think that axe would snap wedges in half. I have noticed the stihl wedges snap more then others...

I have been using the green wedges from Bailey's. Have not had any problems with them so far. Also use their 3 lb. rafting axe (That axe swings nice but have yet to get one with the handle installed properly into the head).

I have noticed that if I can keep the hinge about 1 1/2" to 1" thick, the tree wedges over a lot easier than if I leave a 2", or larger, hinge.

Also, I used to stack hinges at 90 degrees. Tends to bend over the tips. Now, I just stack them going the same direction and keep all body parts out of the way. Have not had any pop out yet.

I am totally confused about the 2x4 and 4x4 also. It sounds like an over active imagination to me.
Mitchell, please do not confuse anything hotshots do or use as normal for production fallers.

I like to use 2" x 6" glue lams over stacked wedges.

I'm confused now, what did I just say?

Something about building a shed out of two by sixes for your sheep? Not sure why the lambs would need stacked wedges though. Unless it's some sort of feed delivery system.:monkey:

sorry for confusion

I use wedges often but there are those times when i may not have any or not enough and have to do without or get creative I have found that when its time to stack wedges its safer to use a piece of lumber as as a spacer as to not change the pitch of wedge. on large trees a variaty is nice I keep them in a easy to carry bags in each truck so I'm never without.

Latest posts

Back