wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Snip"

The Black Bear wedges are really nice to stack up but the head is small and easy to damage. I think I'll try more of the green Bailey's next. What say you.

I like the Bailey's 10" green wedges. I haven't been doing this long enough to have tried lots of different types though. I don't care for the yellow ones with the guide ridges. Nice for stacking, but the leading edge, near the guide ridge, tends to break off extremely easily.

One thing about the green ones, if the head gets a little "smooshed" I just take the saw and clean up the edges a little. The wedge is ready to go again in less than 30 seconds.

Wedges popping out

I am new here, infact this is my first post. My job is mostly safety related, as well as treating injuries. All of you have a lot more experience felling trees, cutting wood etc. than I have, which is why I am here. (To learn and take advantage of your experience)

From What I have read it seems that wedges popping out and striking workers is not a totally uncommon thing. My first thought is why not wear face protection?

I use safety chaps, and a hard hat with ear plugs and a full face shield any time I am working with a saw or brush cutter. Partly because I am very much allergic to poision ivy and I want to keep it out of my face, and partly to keep other things from hitting me in the face.

Some one said something about looking silly with all that stuff on. To me silly is being injured because you did not take advantage of safety equipment. You can't replace an eye, or a life. The results of an injury can affect you and your family for the rest of your life.

The dangers of your job are very real, from falling trees and limbs to spring backs from stressed limbs, not to mention the Saws, and falling from trees. Folks are killed and injured every day. Nothing silly about that.

Work safe, and come home at the end of the day with all the pieces attached and working.

You know, I could take a good safety "lesson" every day of the week and not even have it phase me.

I do where safety glasses, chaps, hearing protection, and a hard hat. It's too bad I needed a few close calls to be a safety advocate.

Haven't been hit by by a wedge spitting out. Sure it's bound to happen. Have had them spit, just haven't been nailed... yet.

I am new here, infact this is my first post.

The dangers of your job are very real, from falling trees and limbs to spring backs from stressed limbs, not to mention the Saws, and falling from trees. Folks are killed and injured every day. Nothing silly about that.

Work safe, and come home at the end of the day with all the pieces attached and working.

Good post but most of us are very aware of the dangers of our job. Before you begin to lecture us you might spend some time reading posts and threads. There are some very savvy people here and ,while we appreciate the thought behind your post, we don't need to be bombarded with unsolicited advice. Theres one danger that you didn't mention...the danger of starving to death trying to make a living at anything to do with trees. ;) Welcome to AS...it's a great place.

Good post but most of us are very aware of the dangers of our job. Before you begin to lecture us you might spend some time reading posts and threads. There are some very savvy people here and ,while we appreciate the thought behind your post, we don't need to be bombarded with unsolicited advice. Theres one danger that you didn't mention...the danger of starving to death trying to make a living at anything to do with trees. ;) Welcome to AS...it's a great place.

Sir I did not mean to sound like I was lecturing. I know that in my job a fresh pair of eyes often sees dangers that we walk around every day and dont notice. I surely ment no disrespect at all. If I didn't respect you I would not be here trying to learn from you.

I apologize if I ruffled any feathers.

Sir I did not mean to sound like I was lecturing. I know that in my job a fresh pair of eyes often sees dangers that we walk around every day and dont notice. I surely ment no disrespect at all. If I didn't respect you I would not be here trying to learn from you.

I apologize if I ruffled any feathers.

No feathers ruffled and certainly no apology needed. I appreciate the spirit in which your post was offered. And welcome again to AS. Bob

I wear Rx safety glasses, generally RecSpecs, all the time. I also have Bugz and I used to have a shield for my hard hat, the name of which escapes me right now, and sometimes a helmet system. The systems are too fragile for me and I don't always want a full shield esp when driving wedges. I like a clear view all the way to the head, just like hitting a baseball.

Hearing protection...of course. Foam plugs and sometimes muffs over the top. I also wear chaps when limbing and brush cutting, but not falling as they slow me down and the straps catch on things. Gloves always, long sleeves when it isn't too hot. Generally a hickory shirt but maybe an orange Stihl cut resistant shirt. I want to get some orange t-shirts from Madsen's to wear a a crew shirt, more visible than my other t-shirts by far. White's boots, Prison Blues or Key jeans with suspenders, a Blood Stopper, multi-tool, whistle on the wedge pouch. Very complete first aid kit in the truck (18 years as an EMT). The truck contains enough logging tools to get the job done incl removing hung up trees the can't be cut.

Like most people here I take my safety very seriously. I have been hurt once when a tree twisted on me and sent me to the hospital. Nothing serious but derned close to it. The same safety gear doesn't work for everyone including that helmet system many people are fond of. PPE will never help a man with no common sense.

Yesterday I bought 2 wedges with barbs, can't remember the name, that I'll try out in the next week or two.

Back