Weekend report 11/21-23 What are you doing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a mile & a half ride on the tractor [no cab] this a.m., 20F & a nice north wind. Pulled some logs out for a guy with my 3 p.t.h. winch [maybe 2 cord worth] in a hour. Charged 50.00, got 70.00 :clap: Woulda been days of lugging to get these out by hand. Remember my locust & more locust thread? Met with the guy today & got another 18 cord marked out for whenever I want to start. Have to see how the winter goes, deep snow, no go - It'll be there in the spring.

Spent my day working with my teenage sons, putting in piers and cutting timbers for a new post and beam woodshed. I decided it was about time to get my firewood under control; I have a dozen half-to-two-cord piles, not even neat stacks, just scattered around my property, and the new shed is 8x8x16 and will hold six cords stacked to 6' height. Enough to get the OWB through 'til about April, and then it's restock in the spring.

Working... we get Thursday and Friday off for Turkey Day and they're letting us work sat sun mon this weekend for a nice 6 day weekend next week. Might go cut some Tuesday.

Ian

I'm installing a heat exchanger and blower setup in my woodworking shop. Rube Goldberg would be proud. :monkey:

well I picked up an old wood furnace from a friend I gave to about 3 years ago. I acquired it about 6 years ago and then gave it to him and now getting it back. I dont think I can use it. the blower motor doesnt work and was reminded why I gave it away. Was hoping to use it to heat the shed, but I think it might cost more to get it running than it is worth. But I got a fire going in the wood furnace that heats the house and all is good there.

Staying warm by burning some of the wood I've been cutting and splitting. Getting all geared up for Thanksgiving with the family.

Put the finishing touches on my "log deck" Ten feet square and about 18" high. Got a trailer load of 16 full cord of 9' oak logs that I will pick up and drop with the loader forks onto the deck. The splitter is about the same height and will get pulled up tight so I can buck the logs at a comfortable height and slide or roll the blocks to the splitter and toss off into the bucket and then into the shed to pile. Shouldnt have to pick anything up by hand off the ground or rehandle any of it twice. Still have to clear some boats and junk out of the shed before I start but will get some pictures of my operation up later. I have to spend more time now preparing for, than I used to spend doing a job. Ah well, it keeps me off the street, lol!

First, thanks to Bailey's. The parts that I ordered showed up early today. So I threw in the seal and rings now two running 044's

Now hopefully, I'll get something else done around the house tomorrow.

O, I got one with 8 pin and other with 7 pin, both on 25" bar. Cutting 18"+ oak, the 8 pin seems to be little too much for a 70cc saw.

Last edited:
Some pics from today. Saturday...

Getting started with a down Hickory, fell last winter.
Nov_22_start.jpg

Cut 16" - 18" for my dad's new PE insert.
Nov_22_finish.jpg

Loaded up and heading back to the house. Got 6 loads (small trailer) cut and hauled out, from a few limbs and trees around the farm land.
Nov_22_finish2.jpg

I finished the free 026 that I re-pistoned and replaced all the regulars (fuel line, filter, impulse, air filter, rebuilt carb, etc). cleaned out oil tank today and blew out oil tank vent. Put in in the wood for half a tank, and Im satisfied for a sock 026. I still need to replace the tank assembly, I should have one coming from a member here. Had to go work on reach forklifts and light towers at the wind farm project North of me. We have 41 pieces of equipment rented to them, so i spend a lot of time up there doing repair and mantainence.. Now Im feeding the fireplace, and myself with cold beer. :cheers:

Everyone is busy this weekend! Today was spent cutting wood. I found two large oaks that were uprooted. I need a longer bar, the 28" was 6" too short. I ordered a 36" from Baileys, can't wait to try it out. I hauled home about 2/3 cord. Tomorrow afternoon I need to get a start on splitting and stacking. With this load I have at least 3 cord waiting to be split.

It's fun to read about everyone's weekend. I almost feel normal around here :greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bagged a couple geese before cutting...
attachment.php

Dok

Last edited:
1836 - 38 = 1798

Pulled 38 tops out of the woods today. Will do a few more tomorrow and then start bucking, splitting & stacking in the afternoon with the wife & daughter. Only 1798 tops to go (if I can get at all of them, let alone find them)

:givebeer:

I am in the process of clearing out a fence rown at my mothers house. Finished cutting up and splitting a red oak out of the fence row today. Man, I never seen limbs on a tree as long as some of those were. Tree made about 1/2 cord. Mom said she was going to wait for another warm day this winter and move it to her wood pile. She just turned 70 and still gets out and does manual labor(not as much as she used to though, she does know her limits).

Mostly sprouts left in the old fence row to clean up now, plus a couple of uprooted stumps left from the tornado of 2003. All of the old fencing and fence posts have already been removed.

The neighbor and I did some devastation, only one tree went on an angle to the road, but we had it trimmed and pulled back to the tree line right quick. Rural road with little traffic, everyone is in the woods hunting.

We dropped 30 trees over 14"dbh, and plenty of lesser trees, in all it completley cleared 600' of roadside treeline, and once the snow starts, the road will have full sun instead of full shade, and be much safer for motorists.
The farmer is going to have quite the pile of tops to burn, I pile it, he lights the match.

Tomorrow I'll help the neighbor with some remaining red oak logs to cut/split, then maybe start topping the felled trees so I can get to the logs. I"ll be busy in the near future cleaning it all up.
Might cut/split a load in the dumptruck and take it to the neighbor for helping me, he has much less opportunity to maintain his wood supply than I do.

(including mandated city sewer installation

Shari

That explains some things in your area.

Was still kinda crappy weather here, I did some electrical in my project room and some odd jobs around the house. I should clean the basement, maybe tomorrow. I wanted to cut but theres snow on the ground now, and its 17 out!

It's opening weekend for firearm deer season.

I shot a good-sized doe. Enough for some good sized tenderloins, roasts, and LOTS of venny sausage.

MAN - she was tough to flop over the top of the barbed-wire fence.

I will NEVER field dress a deer on the ground after I found the advantages of gravity. Should have a deer or two by the end of November.

I watched my Buckeyes kill the team from up north and than scored two truck loads of elm, red oak, and sycamore right in town. The wood was cut and stacked by a local park(1/2 mile) from my house. Although the sycamore is not great the elm and red oak more than make up for it. I plan to split some wood tomorrow and play with the wife and kids.

well all I did was work in the chicken houses... today and again for tomorrow and monday.. we get a new batch of birds on tuesday... wow... our daughter is a week old already... my how time flies... and I think our 2 yr old is jealous. but better to have birds in than not... not making a living without the chickens.

Latest posts

Back