Weekend Warrior tree felling question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bnmc98

bnmc98

ArboristSite Guru
As they teach in the USFS certification classes it's proceed only if "I know I can successfully complete this task safely". "I think I can" may work fine for a cartoon train engine but not out in the woods.
Steve

While you can be safe and that rests in your hands...... there are no absolute guarantees with timber falling.

2dogs

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
While you can be safe and that rests in your hands...... there are no absolute guarantees with timber falling.
Yeah, no guarantees at all. Last Sunday Cody was topping a pine tree above a propane tank. I was lowering the top with a Portawrap and 1/2" rope. He cut about 15' out of the top and I didn't realize the tree was dead about 8' up from where he was. I put two wraps an the portawrap and that was way too much. The top hit the rope and I stopped the fall hard rather than letting it run. Cody got one heck of a ride and 1 spur kicked out. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak
Getting under a hung up tree to fall the tree that it's leaning on, is sheer lunacy, the danger area should have been taped off untill a more experienced person decided on a safe option for removal. Hang ups happen to the best of them so there is no shame in it happening.
Thangst

RandyMac

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Learning to walk away was my hardest lesson, I did gain some valuable experience by getting in over my head.
Then again, I went out of my way to fall the biggest, ugliest trees I could find. Many fond memories of my sport-falling days, I was truly blessed in having a large territory, filled with DF snags and big hardwoods.