Well arborist game just for fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a bit vague, rope. That question is so general in nature, I don't know where to go with it.

Are you talking truckload replacements for an entire plot of ground, or maybe just adding soil amendments to a recently planted tree?

Truckload replacements would create highly localized niche environments that support or transplant the wrong flora/fauna; leading to ecological complications.

Soil amendments around recently planted trees are likely to create transition barriers that lead to girdling roots and poor root expansion of the transplanted tree.

Is that where you were headed?

Yes recent planting.

That is a bit vague, rope. That question is so general in nature, I don't know where to go with it.

Are you talking truckload replacements for an entire plot of ground, or maybe just adding soil amendments to a recently planted tree?

Truckload replacements would create highly localized niche environments that support or transplant the wrong flora/fauna; leading to ecological complications.

Soil amendments around recently planted trees are likely to create transition barriers that lead to girdling roots and poor root expansion of the transplanted tree.

Is that where you were headed?

Well, if he was, I am getting out of the tub! Totally agree with the soapy water, just saying, gotta get rid of the ant's. Teamwork.
Jeff :)

Because the average homeowner does their own yard, and takes pride in their work.

Nice PDQDL, describing the problem in cultural terms. Which, after considering your answer leaves me to believe that many problems in the urban forest could be considered cultural such as wrong tree wrong place, watering regimes for grass and not woody plants, and movement of pests with infested wood.

To take a stab at Ropes question about moving soil...at a basic level, pardon the pun, a drastic change in PH from non-native soils may inhibit micro nutrient availability because of the varying cation exchange capacity of different soils.

Last edited:
Nice PDQDL, describing the problem in cultural terms. Which, after considering your answer leaves me to believe that many problems in the urban forest could be considered cultural such as wrong tree wrong place, watering regimes for grass and not woody plants, and movement of pests with infested wood.

To take a stab at Ropes question about moving soil...at a basic level, pardon the pun, a drastic change in PH from non-native soils may inhibit micro nutrient availability because of the varying cation exchange capacity of different soils.

Fine but where is the next question lol.

Ok ! Here is a really tough question from a previous thread here at AS:

Which has greater water use (needs): plants growing over mulch, or plants growing over turf or bare soil?

I tried to phrase this so that it is difficult to do a search to find the answer. Have fun with this one!

Be careful with your answers. I am talking about water used by the plants above the ground level only, not the entire area including the ground.

In other words, which makes a tree or bush thirstier: turf, mulch, or bare ground?

Yes, JL, it is entirely about which ground cover affects the transpiration rate the most, and how.

Last edited:
The study I will be citing used container grown plants planted in holes in the soil. Mulch was 6" deep.

No guesses considered, at least until a few more folks take a swing at my fastball.

Last edited:
The pest is not a significant problem.
Treatment kills beneficials.
Treatment exposes applicator to chemicals.
Treatment exposes homeowner to chemicals.
Treatment exposes environment to chemicals.
Expense.

My question:

Why don't we see more trees in the landscape but instead see so much lawn worshiping.?

I think the general public has an outright fear and hatred of trees. I think alot of people go to bed wishing they could cut down thier own trees and retire off the money from selling the wood.Just don't cut one down in front of them cause they will be mad cause you are ruining the envirnment... moreso, its just they are envious that they can't do it.
I think they like the grass cause its easy. A well groomed lawn offers a sense of security and affords something to take pride in... just don't look up.

Last edited:
Did I ever tell you guys about Ed Schmonsky? No? Well, he was the guy who won the PA state lottery, it was like 96 million or something. He is just some low rent jackass outta Norristown of all places and he built somekind of bunker right outside of town in some craphole called Eagleville.
So he's got this really ugly looking mansion with this stupid water fountain out in front. I think this guy thought it was pretty but if you saw it you would think the guy's got problems... and he does.
At least that is what he says, he says the money is more of a curse than a blessing cause now everybody wants to rob him. He even told me he was going to call the cops on me cause I was parked out on the road in front of his house waiting for the crew to show up.
So Old Ed Schmonsky got some nice grass. Its imported, its matches the water fountain and the Caddilac. Oh, it was something, this guy's grass.
Anyway, he has us out there taking these trees down; its not like they were even bothering anybody or anything, he just was bored and wanted to spend more of his money before it got stolen.
Well,that is pretty much the story right there, sorry there isn't more except every time I came out of a tree the one guy on the crew would notch the trunk and it would land on a bunch of other trees which was pretty funny to watch ( Iam not sure Ed thought so but I did) plus the fact we left so many rut holes back there Ed was going have to call Italy and order some more of that grass.

Last edited:
Be careful with your answers. I am talking about water used by the plants above the ground level only, not the entire area including the ground.

In other words, which makes a tree or bush thirstier: turf, mulch, or bare ground?

Yes, JL, it is entirely about which ground cover affects the transpiration rate the most, and how.

Turf the lack of available water will starve the plant of water through competition with turf also gas exchange is limited.

Latest posts

Back