Well... I bought an MS-260 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalterWhite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I hope it wasn't a mistake. My son and I went to look at an old Wheel Horse tractor and the guy had a Stihl he wanted to sell as well. He asked $40 for it but all we had between the two of us was $35 so I offered him that. He kept the scrench and went for it.

It's a non-runner. It'll start with starting fluid and run a second or so. I pulled on the starter and it felt to my ignorant hands like it had good compression and otherwise pulled smooth. Next thing I'll do is pop the exhaust off and see what the piston likes like.

Right off the bat I see it is missing the air filter. When I pop the cover off, I'm looking at the choke flap.

I guess the next thing I should inspect is the clutch and drive mechanism. That seems to be the other likely problem area.

The chain feels surprisingly sharp. Perhaps that's a good sign that maintenance was performed. The bar is not that pretty white Stihl bar (unless it was completely stripped.)

Yes... Pictures will follow when I get a chance. :D

best,
walt

Oh, yeah... The wheel horse was an older vertical shaft model - not IMO so desirable. And it looked pretty rough. But we got in our truck and were ready to leave when the guy offered his best deal - take it for free. ;) So we took it. :D So we've got two projects.

Post some pics of it. For $35 you can't go wrong with a Stihl.

Stay far away from that saw with starting fluid. It's hard on the pistons. Sounds like it needs a carb kit. Post some pics and get a compression test of what it is.

It's a non-runner. It'll start with starting fluid and run a second or so. so much for a dead stihl !! oops!, not dead just creamated with starting fluid to wake the dead..... not a real " BRIGHT MOVE "!!!!!!

Time will tell whether it is a stupid decision or worth way more than $35 or somewhere in between. I haven't had time do mess with it so I cannot answer more questions yet. But I did snap some pix.

DSC_1300-PP.JPG

DSC_1297-PP.JPG

DSC_1296-PP.JPG

Thanks for the tip on starting fluid. I didn't think it would be good since it has no lubricant and the A/F ratio is not at all well controlled.

Thanks for looking,
walt

I will personally light your saw on fire if you touch it with starting fluid again lol, just pour some mix down there and it will do just as good, there is NO way you went wrong with that purchase, I will give you double right now...send pp info, might even throw in a running saw!

Time will tell whether it is a stupid decision or worth way more than $35 or somewhere in between. I haven't had time do mess with it so I cannot answer more questions yet. But I did snap some pix.

DSC_1300-PP.JPG

DSC_1297-PP.JPG

DSC_1296-PP.JPG

Thanks for the tip on starting fluid. I didn't think it would be good since it has no lubricant and the A/F ratio is not at all well controlled.

Thanks for looking,
walt

I would not waste another minute on it! I will take it off your hands, whats your price?

These guys. What are they thinking. You should send it to me, for a price of course, just not more than 35$. LOL.:givebeer:

Les

BACK AWAY FROM THE STARTING FLUID!!! that stuff kills all motors like it or not.:chainsaw:

Great find. I hear the anti-vibes suck on these but im still contemplating buying one. It is a Stihl after all.

BACK AWAY FROM THE STARTING FLUID!!! that stuff kills all motors like it or not.:chainsaw:

Great find. I hear the anti-vibes suck on these but im still contemplating buying one. It is a Stihl after all.

The anti-vibe is no worse than any of your other stihls in your sig. Are they that bad? I did'nt think so!:cheers:

Back