well,I didn't buy the one with those really nice flippy caps again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record, I'd never pass on a quality saw just because it doesn't have flippy caps. However, I do give the engineers credit for making a tool-less part that actually works and is fairly durable.

And it's not that hard once you get used to it. You only have to match up the two notches, and the one on the saw body never changes position. If you don't match up the notches, just turn up to another 360° and it should catch. Ultimately, I think this boils down to a matter of taste (Chevy/Ford, Stihl/Husq, Ginger/Mary Ann, etc.).

:agree2: However, my 026 is going to need a new fuel tank. If the price difference isn't too great, I'll go with a 260 tank.

Flippy caps have too many moving parts. The old style are KISS, plus they look better!:cheers:

Since this has come up, I despise the flip caps.

I have had a boot full of fuel mix from the FS 90, and a pant leg soaked with bar oil from the MS 211.
The caps went on but did not seal. Operator Error? Of course, but why have to fool with the da#n things?

This never happened with the screw in caps, and I can not see that Stihl saved any money making the things. It looks to me like it would cost more to manufacture them than the screw in caps.

I don't like them and never will, so there's my 2 cents.:deadhorse:

Since this has come up, I despise the flip caps.

I have had a boot full of fuel mix from the FS 90, and a pant leg soaked with bar oil from the MS 211.
The caps went on but did not seal. Operator Error? Of course, but why have to fool with the da#n things?

This never happened with the screw in caps, and I can not see that Stihl saved any money making the things. It looks to me like it would cost more to manufacture them than the screw in caps.

I don't like them and never will, so there's my 2 cents.:deadhorse:

Another problem I've run into with them is when opening or closing, I've had fuel jump out around the edges. Makes for a stinky mess in the Excursion.

(p.s. I got it with the standard 18" bar at only $15 bucks difference.replaceable tip and a much stronger bar with wider bar groove. I'd prefer 16" i think,but when i need it up a tree,I need the bar length.so just got the 18" for now.she has no problem handling it,and id bet she would take a 20,and still grin once broke in.)

Congrats on the saw. I had a 15" on mine and really liked it but went back to the 18" for just the reason you listed. The guy that climbs for me uses a 200t with a 14"? bar. When that runs out of steam, he wants a little more power AND bar than the 200t. 18" is perfect for that.

:agree2:

Flippy caps rule! :rock:

I'm with you man, i love the flippy caps on my 361. My old poulan had the caps that if you got them tight enought to seal then they would magically self-tighten to where a pair of channel locks was needed to loosen them, what a PITA this was out in the middle of the woods.

+1 vote for the flippy caps.

What's a flippy cap ? :popcorn:

hahahahahaha

You don't want to know then....LOLOL.

I've learned to use them and are slowly starting to like them. Still a bit insecure after closing as I got doped with a full fuel tank and an oil tank once while running the saw. My german is pretty good so Mr Stihl was lucky he was not with me that day....:censored:

Flippy caps make for inefficient language. I hate them. The saw one is OK except when I overfill the oil, which is frequent, and the weedwhacker one seems to be permanently out of alignment.

For you gentlemen sawyers, I have my main problems when working on a cold rainy day. That would be 8 months out of the year. :) We don't have winter bar oil, so it glops into the saw, overfills and then I have to glop it out onto the ground because the flippy cap won't lock. Or the cap gets out of alignment with the rest of the little parts and I have to play with it, meanwhile rain is coming down, my hands are cold, etc. At least I get paid by the hour....and bucking blowdown out of roads is not my main job...

When I mentioned my battle with flippy caps to the dealer, they got that glazed look in their eyes like I do when the woodcutters start telling me how they could run the program much better, so I shut up. I think they have gotten an earful from their customers, many of which are timber fallers.

Duck tape is the answer. And a sharp knife.

Last edited:
Slowp, don't let Lakeside hear you complaining...LOL.

Overfilling the oil tank is real easy, as the oil level is difficult to judge and before you know it, it flows over. It happens to me once every 2x, so now I have decided to not fill the tank to the max anymore. It sucks to have to spill oil out of the tank, just to get the cap on.

;)
Slowp, don't let Lakeside hear you complaining...LOL.

Overfilling the oil tank is real easy, as the oil level is difficult to judge and before you know it, it flows over. It happens to me once every 2x, so now I have decided to not fill the tank to the max anymore. It sucks to have to spill oil out of the tank, just to get the cap on.

I saved a one quart bottle from doing a differential oil change on my truck. It has a tapered/pointed tip and makes filling the oil tank on my saws a breeze. No more overfills. You can actually see the resevoir filling up and it holds enough oil for a days' work. Try it. It works well!;)

I've never had a problem with the flippy caps?????? Don't know what the problem is. Just keep turning till it drops into place, then turn like 1/3, done! I quite like them. But ya, I'd love to have that 346.

Flippy caps make for inefficient language. I hate them. The saw one is OK except when I overfill the oil, which is frequent, and the weedwhacker one seems to be permanently out of alignment.

For you gentlemen sawyers, I have my main problems when working on a cold rainy day. That would be 8 months out of the year. :) We don't have winter bar oil, so it glops into the saw, overfills and then I have to glop it out onto the ground because the flippy cap won't lock. Or the cap gets out of alignment with the rest of the little parts and I have to play with it, meanwhile rain is coming down, my hands are cold, etc. At least I get paid by the hour....and bucking blowdown out of roads is not my main job...

When I mentioned my battle with flippy caps to the dealer, they got that glazed look in their eyes like I do when the woodcutters start telling me how they could run the program much better, so I shut up. I think they have gotten an earful from their customers, many of which are timber fallers.

Duck tape is the answer. And a sharp knife.

IMO the flip caps were designed by the same guy that designed the plastic quick chain adjuster.

Stihl is too good a saw to have caps that look like they came out of a Cracker Jack box.

The caps on my 026 work a lot better than the ones on the MS 211.

Congrats on the new 346!!!!!!

The 18" bar ain't bad, and I can see where needin' the longer bar for when ya NEED a longer bar up in the tree. Not much of loss of handling in that regard.:D

Back on the ground though, ya just gotta try a 16".

As for flippy caps, they are dumbest thing since Velcro shoes.

Why use three moving parts to replace just one?

Sooner or later the caps wear out and don't stay in the unlocked position when removed, then upon reinstallation, they end up indexing on a false or partial surface, feel like they are secure, then dump oil on your boots.

Having to double check a stupid cap before installation is just a ridiculous waste of time that takes 5 seconds, but is irritating.
The old caps were fine and had no issues.
Why screw up otherwise good saws, with a silly masturbatory exercise in redundant engineering?

The 346 will surprise ya when it wakes up.
Lotsa guys are running them around here with 20" bars as a GP firewood saw because it IS so light for it's power.

Keep an eye on that saw because you'll find some of your guys grabbing it for groundwork when they would normally grab a larger saw... Hell I catch myself working the 346 when I should be grabbing the 372.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back