Well, I THINK I got a quad....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freemind

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
3m43pc3oe5O15V25T6a3m0fcfd13fbae91ceb.jpg

98 Polaris Xplorer 300 4x4. They even agreed to deliver it for a agreed price.
Mine will be the one without the windshield.

I got REALLY lucky I guess. Nothing turned up worth a hoot with a garden tractor.

Now the trick is IF this guy keeps his word. I ran into a deal last week, like this, and the guy apparently backed out after giving me his WORD on the deal. He won't answer his phone.

I am past ready to put the quad to work and tote out some wood!

A buddy of mine has one of those....not too bad really....only real problem he has had is the elecronics for the reverse on the bar. Wants to die on him when switching over to reverse. That and he needs a rebuild (at least rings)and is too lazy to do it. Pulls pretty good though. Congrats!

I had a 97 explorer 300, good machine and peppy. The 1 issue I had was while driving through deep water the fan shorted out frying everthing back to and including the battery. Hope it all works out for you, and enjoy the quad!

Just be careful how much weight you drag around. A 300 is not a very large quad, and you can do a fair amount of internal damage by out-hauling the quads capacity. 2 years ago I bought a 680 Rincon specifically to haul wood out on a Trailer because I was abusing my 300 Rancher. Keep yer loads on the smallish side. It's easier on the wallet in the long run.

Just be careful how much weight you drag around. A 300 is not a very large quad, and you can do a fair amount of internal damage by out-hauling the quads capacity. 2 years ago I bought a 680 Rincon specifically to haul wood out on a Trailer because I was abusing my 300 Rancher. Keep yer loads on the smallish side. It's easier on the wallet in the long run.

Good advise,but I dare say you are miles ahead of the game by buying something like that rather than the chinese jobby that you were contemplating awhile ago.Polaris makes some good stuff,and if you keep your loads small you shouldnt have any problem.
Good luck and congrats!

Good advise,but I dare say you are miles ahead of the game by buying something like that rather than the chinese jobby that you were contemplating awhile ago.Polaris makes some good stuff,and if you keep your loads small you shouldnt have any problem.
Good luck and congrats!

Well I lucked into this quad. There was also a Susuki 250 explorer, 2wd up for 1300. The first quad was compareable to the Susuki (a Honda) but that feller's word was dog poo.

I was happy to pay a few hundred more for the 4x4 quad, but alas, this guy didn't show today. He told me yesturday that he would either be here today or Saturday. No call no show today. Perhaps I am just being a bit antsey. The last guys word was crap, and I am hoping THIS guy is a man of his word. A man's honor means little to most people anymore.

He did have the pair for sale, and wanted to sell the pair, but I didn't have enough cash to buy BOTH. Wish I did. The other would have made a nice quad for the wife.

As to the load, all I have is a lawn utility cart. Standard type, no high sides. Just one of those 100 dollar jobs. I came to the realization that building/buying a bigger trailer would only work with the biggest of the big quads. Then there was the size issue too. I need SMALL, not big capacity. I am not gonna fit a quad with a big trailer where I am going.

I am REALLY surprised though that I have found what I am looking for in my price range. Now, if the guy delivers on his end of the bargin, all is well. :)

IF this guy turns out to be a jerk, I am back to square one. :censored:

if you get it put a clutch kit in it and you will have a good hauler i would recommend a heel clicker if they make one for it or a hot seat

Well, he was a MAN of his WORD.

Quad showed up tonight. :clap: 4x4 works good, runs great, and overall looks nice!

I will try to post a few pics sometime soon.

Two questions:
1 The quads tires are nearly bald. likely the origanal tires on the quad. They will need replaced soon. I am not a rich fella, and I need tires. I don't want junk, but I am now about broke over the purchase. Where is a place to get tires that are reasonably priced? I have a rural king and a TSC local. There is also a few motorcyle/quad close, but not local.

Tires will be changed at a local tire shop that has done ATV tires for me in the past. So I don't need the cycle shop to change the tires.

2 This is a auto oil injecting quad. Is the Wal-fart brand of PWC/boat 2 cyle ok to run in it? They had other name brand stuff there (Johnson and Silver something) but was 3 times the price ( 15 for Penzoil, 25 for Johnson, 35 for silver). I am not looking to fry the quad, but I am not looking to go broke using it either.

Qucik silver,was the other brand,At least try to find oil labeled TCW 3.it will not create no where near as much carbon.
I learned a valuable lesson about two cycle oils,to the tune of nearly $8000.00 dollars.I let several of my friends convience me" any two cycle oil will work "It didnt.I destroyed a 200 hp Mercury engine on my Ranger boat.
On your AtV I dont think it is nearly as crucial as the Mercury Engine,but buy the best you can afford.

Qucik silver,was the other brand,At least try to find oil labeled TCW 3.it will not create no where near as much carbon.
I learned a valuable lesson about two cycle oils,to the tune of nearly $8000.00 dollars.I let several of my friends convience me" any two cycle oil will work "It didnt.I destroyed a 200 hp Mercury engine on my Ranger boat.
On your AtV I dont think it is nearly as crucial as the Mercury Engine,but buy the best you can afford.

All the two stroke oil is labeled TW-3. Even the wal-mart brand.

I too learned a lesson long ago with Empire State oil. It burned up a rice 72 Susuki GS550 road bike. It too had an auto oil injector. The oil was heavy with ash and burned up the injector pump.

Last edited:
Good luck with your new quad, Free. I also have a Polaris and like it. My recommendation would be to check all your fluid levels: front end, tranny, oil, and rear end. Factory recommends that you change the hubs and tranny fluid every year. I do mine every other--big pain in butt. As confined spaces go for maintenance, I think quads are the worst.
Check ebay for used tires. Some quido is always swapping out the factory ones for the performance ones.
Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down.

i would use polaris oil it will suprise you how little oil it will use if the pump is adjusted right. as far as tires try gbc or green ball they have the best cheaper atv tires or you can find sets on ebay that are reasonable. check and change the front hub oil often and you will have a good atv. i have owned and rode polaris atvs for 10 yrs if you need any advice or have ? feel free to pm me i might have the answer if not im friends with a polaris atv mechanic he will know.

Glad to hear you connected on the deal!

2 stroke oil, I assume the prices you posted are gallons, at the 50+ to 1 it's being injected at, you'll burn well over $100 in fuel to that gallon of oil. That's a ton of miles and hours. Spend the $ on the good stuff, and don't worry that it might blow at any time.

Good luck with your new quad, Free. I also have a Polaris and like it. My recommendation would be to check all your fluid levels: front end, tranny, oil, and rear end. Factory recommends that you change the hubs and tranny fluid every year. I do mine every other.

Ditti on the hub oil. Every use/daily watch for oil leaks on the inside of the front tires.
That style of hub has 4 wheel bearing torqued by 1 fastener, if the wheel bearing get loose the 1/2 cup of oil runs out down the inside of your tires and your hubs will rust inside. They need to be retorqued after @ 500 miles with new bearings and it does not hurt to keep a eye on the torque and watch for leaking seals after that. Seals and ATF oil are cheap, the guts in the hub are not. I have a 96 400 sportsman that has been a good bike, but they require more maintenance then say a Honda.
Rockymountainatv.com has some good tire prices, but hey if yours hold air keep riding it. Cruising paved roads is hard on tread.
Ken

You will love your new quad. I used a Honda Big Red 250 for the first couple years of wood hauling. If you use a little common sense, it will pull anything you want.

Motor size isn't really the main concern when hauling with a 4-wheeler. A big engine just allows you to turn aggresive tires easier. If you have the proper tires, you will spin out (in 4x4) before the engine runs out of power.

Here is an example of what a wheeler will pull. This is green red oak.

Last edited:
Don't go cheap on the injector oil.....it is wise to buy a good quality synthetic oil and keep oil in the tank.

For tires you should post a Wanted add on Craigslist, and watch eBay and Craigslist. I would imagine that people don't always like the tires that came on their quad from the factory and they might take tires off to put on bigger tires or fancy "bling" wheels. I have found really good deals on brand new take off wheels and tires for my pickup this way.

Latest posts

Back