well i thought this was a pretty spiffy idea.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

euroford

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
being a cyclist, i just happened to have a roll of black leather bar tape laying around the house. wrapped my huskies handlebar with it. better grip, vibration damping, and i think it looks pretty sharp too. the only downside i see is that despite being pretty durable, its bound to get shredded eventually.

whatcha think?

iqaan5.jpg

being a cyclist, i just happened to have a roll of black leather bar tape laying around the house. wrapped my huskies handlebar with it. better grip, vibration damping, and i think it looks pretty sharp too. the only downside i see is that despite being pretty durable, its bound to get shredded eventually.

whatcha think?

iqaan5.jpg

Looks good, were the originals torn up?

How do you like the bar?

Sweet looking bar ya got there.

Oh yeah, the tape....looks great IMO, bet it will last longer than you think.

Hey thats a good lookin saw.. tape is good idea
Awhile back I had a real nice 056 super and the handle was scard up.
I was going to order some black handlebar leather but they were out of stock
The leather for these handlebars is the same diameter as a stihl handles
I bet it would look good in black
yhst-84224226242177_2058_19704568.gif

Whoa...dude....leather...that's a great idea!!

The skull and crossbones has me in lust. I need one of those too. Where can I get one?

Looks good, were the originals torn up?

How do you like the bar?

Thanks for the compliments guys! nah, the original wasn't torn up, just a couple of minor nicks and dings. i suppose it will stay that way now that its covered up. the mid-range stuff goes for about $25, and you get two rolls, so when this gets shredded i can redo it. would be nice to spend the money on some Brooks stuff which i'm sure would last forever, but i don't see myself dropping $60 on this project. can't wait to go cut with it tomorrow!

I love the new bar! a huge upgrade from my 24". its allot lighter, the saw balances much better. all of the deadfall i clear at one of our trail areas is used to line the edges of our 'pedestrian' pathways, so its really nice to be able to work on this without hunching over. on wednesday i cleared a 80'+ deadfall snag, it was also really nice to have that reach when it came down.

the bar is definitely more flexible, but it doesn't appear to be a real problem, i've just been more conscious not to beat on it unnecessarily.

cleans up nice and easy with a scotchbrite pad as well, so even after about 9 tanks she's still pretty enough for AS fashion model duty.

no idea where to get some more jolly roger stickers, i got a whole pack from a friend. its kind of a big-wall climber joke, yaknow, we go sailing the granite seas. yar!

now i just wish i could find some cedar within a weekend trip from chicago.... i want to go build some cool trail features!!

Thanks for the compliments guys! nah, the original wasn't torn up, just a couple of minor nicks and dings. i suppose it will stay that way now that its covered up. the mid-range stuff goes for about $25, and you get two rolls, so when this gets shredded i can redo it. would be nice to spend the money on some Brooks stuff which i'm sure would last forever, but i don't see myself dropping $60 on this project. can't wait to go cut with it tomorrow!

I love the new bar! a huge upgrade from my 24". its allot lighter, the saw balances much better. all of the deadfall i clear at one of our trail areas is used to line the edges of our 'pedestrian' pathways, so its really nice to be able to work on this without hunching over. on wednesday i cleared a 80'+ deadfall snag, it was also really nice to have that reach when it came down.

the bar is definitely more flexible, but it doesn't appear to be a real problem, i've just been more conscious not to beat on it unnecessarily.

cleans up nice and easy with a scotchbrite pad as well, so even after about 9 tanks she's still pretty enough for AS fashion model duty.

no idea where to get some more jolly roger stickers, i got a whole pack from a friend. its kind of a big-wall climber joke, yaknow, we go sailing the granite seas. yar!

now i just wish i could find some cedar within a weekend trip from chicago.... i want to go build some cool trail features!!

Euroford,

Me Likey!!!

You mention "Brooks stuff". Brooks as in Brooks Speir the dude that lives out on an island and sells the adhesive backed grippy when wet stuff for Kyak paddles and sidearm grips?
I didn't realize he did bicycle stuff too. LOL!!!

I noticed that your location was Chicago.
Why do ya need Cedar for trail features?
Why not Elm or Sassafrass or whatever?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The only thing I' be interested to learn is how the adhesive in the tape will stand up to gasoline and other petro chemicals. Looks good! :cheers:

I think this is a great idea. Most handlebar wraps are non adhesive, they are off a synthetic cushioned, tapered edged material.

I would imagine that a gasoline mix would be harmful to most of those materials.

Now, I need to dig into my old bike supply box and see what I can dig up.

:cool:

<snip>
You mention "Brooks stuff". Brooks as in Brooks Speir the dude that lives out on an island and sells the adhesive backed grippy when wet stuff for Kyak paddles and sidearm grips?
I didn't realize he did bicycle stuff too. LOL!!!

<snip>
Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'd reckon he meant this 'Brooks' instead http://www.brookssaddles.com/
Real old school, handcrafted English leather saddles and 'accoutrements' http://www.brookssaddles.com/en/Sho...-+other+brooks+products&prod=Leather+Bar+Tape

Why do ya need Cedar for trail features?
Why not Elm or Sassafrass or whatever?

rot resistance and easy splitting. if there is something else we could go for that would be more available, heck yeah i'd go for it.

i'm sure the adhesive, or all of it, won't do well with the gasoline. but we'll see, i normally don't slobber the stuff all over the place. the adhesive isn't very important though, its the tight stretch that keep it in place, and the tape at either end. (i used electrical tape).

and yeah, thats the brooks i meant. old school, pricey and super high quality. if you wanted to go overboard and do this thing right, that would be the way to go.

I really like to use bike ribbon on my saws. I've got Bontrager cork on both ends of my 361 that I use all the time.

picture.php

I caught a little flack for taping over the throttle interlock, but I like it. I did that with electrical tape before putting the cork tape over it. It usually takes a full roll for the top handle and a little for the back. That stuff's been on for at least 6 months now and it's held up fine. The main wear point is at the bottom where the saw sits, so you have to either end the tape a little high like you did, or keep wrapping electrical tape around that part like I do.

I have been meaning to put in an order for some of the cheaper stuff from Nashbar for some of my other saws. The older ones with less anti-vibe and metal bars with that slick plastic coating can really benefit most from it.

Back