Well my Stihl 017 just seized up :(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hearnoevil

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Was cutting up some Skids in my back yard, the saw was poping reving high, it cut out.
Started it and it cut out again, pulled it over a few times then it seized.:cry:

Whats the first thing I should check?
The saw has been good to me, had it a nice few years, I used it more then it was intended, cut alot of wood with it. I would like to repair it and use it as a spare.

It sounds like you may have an air leak. This can cause a lean running condition which can cause the saw to rev too high and score the piston. If you have to get a shop to fix it, it would probably be too expensive to be worth fixing.

Might be educational to rebuild it, but impractical...MS 170 new is $180.

Yep...kinda hard to sink $150 rebuilding a saw that only cost $180. Your gonna have to tear into it first, to see if it's worth fixin. First thing....pull the muffler and look at the piston thru the exhaust port. Then you will know were you stand on fixin it. Maybe it's something simple.

Not worth it. My bar is in bad shape too and needs to be replaced.
I'll still pull the muffler but I knew this was gonna happen I was putting the saw through too much big wood.

Have you learned your lesson? Doesnt matter if its a 150.00 saw or 1500.00 saw. When it starts acting funny stop running it and figure out the problem. Lots of times saws,or any engine for that matter, will let you know somethings wrong.Im not rubbing it in but if you would have stopprd maybe you would be buying 20.00 worth of parts rather than 150.00.:cheers:

You now have, a door stop. 150 would get you a cylinder and piston, but you would still need to find and fix why it went lean.

May find a smashed on and swap out the parts, but better to ebay the remains of your saw and start fresh. Some fool will give you half of retail for your broken junk!

I see 170 and 180 motors in great shape on ebay all the time. they seem to go for right around 70-80 bucks. I would try to get a 180 motor and drop it in for a bump in power. This is for a complete motor all you need to do is take yours out and put the new one in. a brand new piston/cylinder kit on ebay right now for 80 for a 180. you could put it on your 170 and make it a 180

Have you learned your lesson? Doesnt matter if its a 150.00 saw or 1500.00 saw. When it starts acting funny stop running it and figure out the problem. Lots of times saws,or any engine for that matter, will let you know somethings wrong.Im not rubbing it in but if you would have stopprd maybe you would be buying 20.00 worth of parts rather than 150.00.:cheers:
I know your not singling me out, I know it was a problem, But honestly it is probably a 10 year old saw, 2 stroke engines only have a certain life span.

When it started poping I thought time for a rebuild.

I can not find any of the engines you metioned on ebay, i'm searching sthil 017 and 018

I got around to taking pics of it .
img4379pw.jpg

Latest posts

Back