Went to flea market today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I finally made it back to the flea markets. Not as good of a haul as last time but came up with a couple of saws before I went back home. I was surprised when the seller asked me if I wanted to hear the old thing run. I said "sure" and he pulled on the rope 2 or 3 times and she started right up! Not the most powerful saw in the land but doubt if I'll cut much wood with it.
attachment.php

I have that same little cheap McCulloch. My father-in-law found it in the back of an uncle's barn. He gave it to me when I did not have a chainsaw. I cannot kill this thing. It is not the most powerful saw, but it cranks every time I need it to.

Nice old ZIP, there were hundreds of them around here years ago and were very tough old units, they stood up the test of time really well. I like that threaded in pancake B&S muffler, its not the first time I have seen one on a chainsaw.

I have that same little cheap McCulloch. My father-in-law found it in the back of an uncle's barn. He gave it to me when I did not have a chainsaw. I cannot kill this thing. It is not the most powerful saw, but it cranks every time I need it to.

Get past the really bad vibes on that saw. It is a good saw that last forever! I just gave one to my father to replace his old one from 1987-88. With a 14' B&C, it is just right for the saws power curve.

Last edited:
pretty sure it's not stock....never seen one from the factory with a black iron pipe bushing in the exhaust.....:dizzy:

+1 Calling the OEM unit on a zip a "muffler" is very generous indeed! It was more of a deflector than anything. I like the "aftermarket" installation you've got there! It might actually be restrictive, though. Very nice example of a zip, BTW.

They had several saws up there today, I just picked out the ones that had a decent price. The Zip came with a gallon of bar oil, 3 extra sprockets, a brand new extra starter assembly, a used chain, a file and a couple of bracket like things that I don't know what they are except they might go with the file as a guide. The Zip also has what looks like a new sprocket nose bar and new chain. It definitely needs the carburetor adjusted because I can't get many revs out of the engine but I doubt if this is a real high revving engine anyway, but should do better. After the holidays I'll fire it up and see if I can tweak it a little....wish I had a log or two to cut!

Back