wet wood or not wet wood ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brown2501

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know it has been talked about many times.
moisture % good to burn in side wood stove. and is it worth buying a meter? an where. thanks

hooked on site since i found it:clap:

moisture % good to burn in side wood stove. and is it worth buying a meter? an where. thanks

Welcome to AS.

Be warned though...certain diseases set in once you get on this site:)

I'd save the money for bar oil and gas. Just watch the ends for splits / cracks.My $0.02:givebeer:

The man has it right. For too long :jawdrop: we've gone from stump to stove without any kind of cute device like a moisture meter. Here's the skinny:
cut in winter for the next. Buck up the tree, split, stack, burn.
No devices except what you NEED to heat with --wood.
For the money, you and the love can have a VERY nice, romantic din din.:clap:
Do it.

Just like everybody says, You don't need a meter. Just make sure you cut it early enough for it to dry out. If you didn't and it's cold enough you'll burn it anyway.

LOL, good point, some types of wood lend themselves more than others for lessened seasoning time like ash. Just clean out the chimney and flue more often so you exempt yourself from a disaster.

You dont NEED one, but can be helpful if you are pushing wood(ie if you sell wood and are running low on 2 year seasoned stuff and you want to see if the 1 year stuff is ready) but you dont need one.

Keep buring both wet and dry wood and in 5 or so years get back with us and see what you figured out :)

I pretty much bet you will be out in the spring cutting instead of the fall....Possibly maybe even having a few years stock so you can rotate. I heat 2500 sqft with jotul firelight and I learned fast :greenchainsaw:

If it is worth it might depend on if you are cutting wood or buying wood.

When cutting your own you know exactly when it went in the stack. If cutting to sell, it would help you maintain your quality without tying up storage space needlessly for an extra year.

When buying wood you are putting your trust in the dealer that it is going to be seasoned. A MC meter can give you the peace of mind of knowing it is dry and not just look the part before you try to light it.

I don't need one. I cut down the trees, buck, and split them so I know how long they have seasoned. Like someone else said if you are buying firewood it might be different.

I don't need one. I cut down the trees, buck, and split them so I know how long they have seasoned. Like someone else said if you are buying firewood it might be different.
do the same here but since I can basically hide my own easter eggs burning a sample in the shop wood stove lets me know if its ready from that stack. If it hisses and boils I go to another stack.

I've been lucky enough to get my wood grey and checked, a visual way of checking for dryness. The drier the better. It may burn quicker, but I find the ease of starting more important. I have my 2009/10 and 2010/11 woodstacks almost completed. Maybe one more donation from my tree guy.

Back