whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what Matt runs but the Gunnebo Johnson RH 5 is what you want. I couldn't order them through their website when I did it but found a local guy that carried their #### and had him order them. Bulky at first, but you figure out how to use them easily with time. Way better than a shackle.

attachment.php

View attachment 254597

They are called Joker hooks. this is where i usually get them from and they sell the grade blakes is using. i use a few different grades the lowest being 5,300 pounds, heavy stuff i use thier 13,200 rated. Local places will wreck you on the price.

5,300 pound rated ones are like 50.00$ 13,200 is around 150.00 if i remember correctly then you can go anywhere in between. for doing brush picks i use the 5,300 a lot 4k of bush is a good bit you need a big LZ.

This is the item number - CJ02T2

http://www.tulsachain.com

Last edited:
Took this spar down to top my day off. Someone hacked away at it over the years to get it to this point, I got the call to put it on the ground so a guy can whittle it up for firewood. Ported 460 and 28" bar just did the trick, facebored it for bar reach and to weaken the hinge a bit on that fat momma.

005-4.jpg

008-3.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

014-2.jpg

016-3.jpg

015-1.jpg

They are called Joker hooks. this is where i usually get them from and they sell the grade blakes is using. i use a few different grades the lowest being 5,300 pounds, heavy stuff i use thier 13,200 rated. Local places will wreck you on the price.

5,300 pound rated ones are like 50.00$ 13,200 is around 150.00 if i remember correctly then you can go anywhere in between. for doing brush picks i use the 5,300 a lot 4k of bush is a good bit you need a big LZ.

This is the item number - CJ02T2

Tulsa Chain Industrial Chain Rigging Equipment Supplier, Chain Hoists, Winches, Securement Products

Kinda looks like the harbor freight of rigging supply:msp_scared:! At least when I buy Gunnebo Johnson they're willing to stamp their name right on the hook. Looks like it lacks a locking pin for the strap as well.

Synthetic Sling Hooks - joker sling

Gunnebo Johnson Corporation » Round Sling Hook (RH)

Well that was a good week, made real good coin, moved no wood and only filled my chipper box half way! I love pruning! Leaves are starting to drop, so it will be a no go for a couple weeks, but I hopefully will be gone by then. Went and pruned 5 crabs. Done by 11.

Quote of the day, from a landscraper "I don't see why trees need to be pruned anyways, think its dumb, no one prunes the trees in the woods"............shut up and get back on your zero turn.

HOLEY HELL! Trying to change the right side exhaust manifold on my 97 F-250, old one has a crack and makes it sound like a go cart. Bought a new one......at the junk yard (who knew!) You can pop the tire off, take out the inner fender well and get right to the manifold, BUT! The smog pipe on the back, W T F! I would like to find the guy who designed this and, well yall have been there! What a PITA! Needed to have something to go over a 1"1/4 wrench for leverage, a cheater bar. Found a pipe big enough, filled with spiders and stuff, so I sprayed it full of break cleaner and lit it. Coooooooool! So I did it again...........and again and then a few more times,lol. It is amazing at how fast you can get distracted with fire. Pretty sure there are no more spiders. Gotta cut the cheater pipe to fit it under neath the truck. I should have just paid someone to to do this!

Took this spar down to top my day off. Someone hacked away at it over the years to get it to this point, I got the call to put it on the ground so a guy can whittle it up for firewood. Ported 460 and 28" bar just did the trick, facebored it for bar reach and to weaken the hinge a bit on that fat momma.

We have a bunch of those around town. I hate looking at those things, drives me nuts. Always wonder why they stopped and guess they got scared.

We have a bunch of those around town. I hate looking at those things, drives me nuts. Always wonder why they stopped and guess they got scared.

I think multiple people have been hacking at this one because it was whittled down in stages over at least a 5 year period. It was a church owned tree so I am guessing different members tried their hand at it for wood, if they screw up everyone would just turn a blind eye. You can see in my pics, the top sections that the last guy started into and backed off, they split out when it hit the ground due to his old kerf cuts. The guy that called me and said his bar wasn't big enough (lol) to finally lay it to rest and he hadn't worked on the tree previously. Around here everyone has a saw, and I mean everyone, old widows even crank em' up after the old man is gone just to heat the house.

I just wish the 880 had been in the truck for that one, but I played it where it lies. I looked at it after a whole day of pruning, but I know better than to ever leave the house without at least a 440 or 460 in the arsenal.

Last edited:
I think multiple people have been hacking at this one because it was whittled down in stages over at least a 5 year period. It was a church owned tree so I am guessing different members tried their hand at it for wood, if they screw up everyone would just turn a blind eye. You can see in my pics, the top sections that the last guy started into and backed off, they split out when it hit the ground due to his old kerf cuts. The guy that called me and said his bar wasn't big enough (lol) to finally lay it to rest and he hadn't worked on the tree previously. Around here everyone has a saw, and I mean everyone, old widows even crank em' up after the old man is gone just to heat the house.

I just wish the 880 had been in the truck for that one, but I played it where it lies. I looked at it after a whole day of pruning, but I know better than to ever leave the house without at least a 440 or 460 in the arsenal.
I was wondering why you didnt use your new saw.

Kinda looks like the harbor freight of rigging supply:msp_scared:! At least when I buy Gunnebo Johnson they're willing to stamp their name right on the hook. Looks like it lacks a locking pin for the strap as well.

not usually to worried about the pin since im usually with the sling during pretension. you would be able to see it slip out if something was out of wack or you had some type of bind. ever lift with a chain? doesnt matter but thier is usually no locking anything the weight of the log is what keeps it bound and getting it undun with a few k in pounds on it would require a a cutting tool like a tourch. your hook when tensioned goes flush up against the log if done correctly and cant flip over. my guys sometimes have to hit a chain with a hammer to get it unstuck from the wood, it will bite right in just like steel choker.

roll over is a factor but if a top rolled over id be worried about me and the crane more than anything. the sling could break the piece but if your getting pieces to completle go over not just on there side you have to get some crane help thats just crazy.

The grade of the metal is what you need to worry about when purchasing stuff like this they should all be labeled and if not i would go somewhere else.

Last edited:

The ones you are usising look like a good hook and are rated to a 5:1. I use harbor frieght lifting slings every once in a while? :msp_scared:. Only on ac units when i need a flat nylon because i wouldnt use it for anything else. heaviest one ive ever lifted was 1200 pounds and required 3 slings in a basket, and they all had to be 25 foot. They attached to the unit on the bottom with clevis. Each sling only needed around 400 pounds of strenght so Harbor frieght said they could do 4k in a choke i felt ok.

only ever used them once so now i got one in each truck to use if something gets stuck we use it like a tow strap. a 25 foot sling that we usually use is around 200$ i think i got those 25 footers for like 40$.

Common sense is key i woulnt trust it with 4k of log but 400 ive seen dyna glide throw line get pulled on with a few hundred before it broke.

Last edited:
Nails you should have gave it a chance to come back. Looks like some of the other guys work after they just gave it a good Pollarding! Thing would have looked nice in the spring.

005-4.jpg

008-3.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

014-2.jpg

016-3.jpg

015-1.jpg

Nails you should have gave it a chance to come back. Looks like some of the other guys work after they just gave it a good Pollarding! Thing would have looked nice in the spring.

Haaaaaaa maybe if there were at least 2 more in that same line you would of had a thought there who knows maybe set the people up on a program and call it progression of the species

Finished my pruning gig I got rained out of yesterday. $200 an hour with handsnips and a handsaw. Not bad, I could do more of that. Then I stopped by the packie and whipped up a boxelder real quick. I just cut it in pieces from the ground with a 200. A couple of cuts had me a little nervous.. I could just imagine how embarrassing it would be taking out the windows or smashing the ice cooler at the local packie. Lol, gotta run back down there in a bit here, now that I think of it..

My ground guy confided in me today that he did quite a bit of LSD when he was younger. That explains some things. Lol, he's doing alright now though.. I just have to keep an eye on him, his body seems to start propelling itself before his brain has actually formulated a solid plan. I like the way he drives, so thats a good thing anyway.

Didn't think it would be this hard to sell my stuff, have had a bunch of people look, almost all said they wanted, no one can get money. One guy I thought was a sure thing got shut down at they bank. He was crushed, could tell in his voice. He couldn't understand why, but I think the banks are just being real tight,I dunno. Sucks tho, keep thinking I have it sold. I really don't want to leave it here. I can only imagine what my F-I-L will do when I am gone. If I do end up leaving it, I will disable everything so he cant try to use them!

Didn't think it would be this hard to sell my stuff, have had a bunch of people look, almost all said they wanted, no one can get money. One guy I thought was a sure thing got shut down at they bank. He was crushed, could tell in his voice. He couldn't understand why, but I think the banks are just being real tight,I dunno. Sucks tho, keep thinking I have it sold. I really don't want to leave it here. I can only imagine what my F-I-L will do when I am gone. If I do end up leaving it, I will disable everything so he cant try to use them!

I could never sell off my babies. Or leave them alone (cold and unloved). That sounds like a tough thing you're having to do, scott!! I realize its for more important reasons, but still!!

Best of luck with all that!

Well that was a good week, made real good coin, moved no wood and only filled my chipper box half way! I love pruning! Leaves are starting to drop, so it will be a no go for a couple weeks, but I hopefully will be gone by then. Went and pruned 5 crabs. Done by 11.

Quote of the day, from a landscraper "I don't see why trees need to be pruned anyways, think its dumb, no one prunes the trees in the woods"............shut up and get back on your zero turn.

HOLEY HELL! Trying to change the right side exhaust manifold on my 97 F-250, old one has a crack and makes it sound like a go cart. Bought a new one......at the junk yard (who knew!) You can pop the tire off, take out the inner fender well and get right to the manifold, BUT! The smog pipe on the back, W T F! I would like to find the guy who designed this and, well yall have been there! What a PITA! Needed to have something to go over a 1"1/4 wrench for leverage, a cheater bar. Found a pipe big enough, filled with spiders and stuff, so I sprayed it full of break cleaner and lit it. Coooooooool! So I did it again...........and again and then a few more times,lol. It is amazing at how fast you can get distracted with fire. Pretty sure there are no more spiders. Gotta cut the cheater pipe to fit it under neath the truck. I should have just paid someone to to do this!

I did the manifolds on my expedition, paid someone, it's a pain in the arse job like you have discovered! Oh well once its done you will be happy it's a whole lot quieter! It's great when you have weeks like that! I did 60% water access island jobs this week, all them just knock em em up and leave em! Love it

Latest posts

Back