whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time the chip truck drives really nicely, something goes gunny, like a throw bearing for instance. Now the drive train, parking brake, transmission and PTO are strung out underneath it like a gutted elk. I did get to admire the new $2g drive shaft I had put in earlier this year, whilst wrenching on the beast today. So I've got that going for me, which is nice. Waiting on a new clutch, throw bearing and clutch fork from the good folks at GM, should be here around the first of next year or so. Parts are non existent for Top Kicks. If any of you are considering getting one, call me first. I'll talk you down. Life is too precious and Top Kicks are not the answer. Think of all the people who love you, it hurts them too.

Every time the chip truck drives really nicely, something goes gunny, like a throw bearing for instance. Now the drive train, parking brake, transmission and PTO are strung out underneath it like a gutted elk. I did get to admire the new $2g drive shaft I had put in earlier this year, whilst wrenching on the beast today. So I've got that going for me, which is nice. Waiting on a new clutch, throw bearing and clutch fork from the good folks at GM, should be here around the first of next year or so. Parts are non existent for Top Kicks. If any of you are considering getting one, call me first. I'll talk you down. Life is too precious and Top Kicks are not the answer. Think of all the people who love you, it hurts them too.

The truck shop i take my truck to, has no problem getting parts for my topkick. They just replaced the throw out bearing, and clutch fork last year. They got the parts in less then a day.

The truck shop i take my truck to, has no problem getting parts for my topkick. They just replaced the throw out bearing, and clutch fork last year. They got the parts in less then a day.

Well we're in the Gm Mecca of this country for truck parts ! He may not be kills me to say that I got a clutch for less then 500 bucks and had it in less then 2 hours ! And it was back together in a day

Well we're in the Gm Mecca of this country for truck parts ! He may not be kills me to say that I got a clutch for less then 500 bucks and had it in less then 2 hours ! And it was back together in a day

I'll be calling you two for parts from now on. When I take it to the dealer or other shops for problems, two weeks before I get it back. I fix it myself, two weeks before I get the parts. So I can either wonder what is happening with it at a shop or look at it everyday in the yard wondering what is happening with it. End result of both is me stacking brush on a trailer and reevaluating my life. Mistakes have been made.

I don't see the point to have these or a shackle.

Try hooking two 12 foot slings up on a long horizontal limb the ball would have to be lowered to you on both ends vs just clipping it. Keeps you from having to remove the sling from the hook. Saves a lot of time, shackles take forever. I've had some real weight on them and they show no signs of stress yet

They gate looks. Chinsy too you could totally wrip it open , a good hook is only as safe as the gate , and yea why not just choke the eye and slap it on the hook ? I dunno seems like a lot of reinventing the wheel , and now your rigging is heavier and more complex ! Hey matt before you buy those hooks think about a piece rolling and jumping the hook .

We have been using them for a long time you would have to have it in your hand to see what they are all about. side loading is kind of hard to do since pretension is applied before the cut is made. you can see the strap and where the pressure is and is gonna be. Rolling is possible but you would have to be pretty poor at sling placement. we use them to actually dumb down the rigging simply leave it on the hook and clip it gate down. pretty basic.

Only one place makes them I think what color are yours? I use the 8k ones if you go up so does price significantly the purple ones are like 40$ but only good for 2k

Makes sense, I run the RH-5 which is good for 11K.

Of course, because i am jamed up with work, its gonna rain this morning and then tease me for a couple hours then rain again. Supposed to rain tomorrow morning too. If this keeps up I am gonna be able to make 2 weeks of work last a month.

It's pouring here now , it's alright I am thinking I am gonna just puts around for a bit maybe put the vernier back together or at least as far as I can go !

A little cool here this morning. Zero degrees C. (32 for our American cousins) :)

Thought I may go and do the bee tree while its this cold, but it will most likely warm up by the time I get there. I don't feel like getting stung. I'll wait. Other cold days are coming. :(. Besides, the boat is already in the back of the truck, got a water access only job to get done this morning.

Beautiful day here in the Southeast, clear sky's and probably 80's. Going to get out and ride my 60" zero turn mower for an hour....AMERICAN MADE BY THE WAY, then finish cutting up the dead hickory I cut down yesterday.

Went out and did some more pruning, and signed 2 more last night. Whoever I hand this off too, depending on what they have on the books, they are going to be busy! I had to send my wife and son back in after lunch, she is battling pneumonia and he is pretty close. So it was just me and my F-I-L, but is was cool, no talkin, just workin, as soon as a little twig came down, he was on it! Would have had the job done if they where there for clean up, but I had to come down and make sure we where out of there by 5. Go back today and prune 3 more, then off to do 5 crabs, yuk, they are freakin thick, kinda like unlocking a puzzle.

Good on ya MDS

Last edited:
We are pruning 2 big liveoaks today in Burbank, CA, right near Disney studios. Unfortunately, the clutch on my Superduty dump decided to call in sick so I rented a 40 yd container for the day. I had that clutch installed only 6 months ago. Time for a new mechanic :bang:

Container company is going to move the container tonight and bring it to our job for tomorrow. Pretty nice of them. Only costing 425 including delivery which is a steal around here.

If I did a lot of crane work I think I would have my own containers and roll off. They make it so easy.

Were I've been cutting the last number of week the neighbor had a tree service come in and take out some trees

The tree service cut the trees down but never buck them up and cleared them; they called me tonight to take them away :msp_biggrin:

I'll get some pic's in the am :clap:

See cleaning up the area your cutting at pays off in the long run :msp_biggrin:

Nice huge Alders by the way looks like the MS 390 with 24 3/4" b/c will get a work out :)

I know it isn't much but all I have to do is buck it up and split it haul it home :msp_smile:

005.jpg

008.jpg

The tree service chipped up all the limbs

Latest posts

Back