whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would of been bad!

Finished up the Oak tree in front of gift shop at arborioum, but before we left we were going to take out a small sycamore that they needed removed. I suited up put in the choker and started to lower my self to the ground. It wasn't big and we were going to take it in one pick. There was a fence, I had to lower on my self on the other side. I almost was about to land in some bushes when my slow thought process clicked on,"Poison Oak", the area was infested. I am highly allergic to it and start itching just looking at it. The crane was already tentioned so I had to footlock my way up and over to the safety of the otherside of the fence. I was experimenting for the first time using a pulley for my rope off the crane. That made my getaway a lot easier.
We sent a new guy over the fence and he made the cut. Said he didn't know if he's allergic or not. he'll know tomorrow.View attachment 287146View attachment 287147View attachment 287148

Jareds a senior faller for BC Forest Service.....but during the off-season pick up some work at a company I also do some climbing for. He's a solid guy and knows his stuff, but boy does he have an answer for everything. I really, really didn't want to lose to him. just like to point out also that we tipped those stumps after we'd finished for the day, about 5:30.
Thats funny, you can tell he's a govt. worker.Checking the wind,wanting wedges bla blah just cut that fn pole down.You even gave him the fir, bet he would of whined even more with your poplar. Funny vid.

Am i in a unique area or do the rest of you have the same thing. I have about 15 tree companies close and they all own cranes. Went and looked at a 20t national this am 66' main boom with a jib should be able to reach most everything with it. Was used at a marina and is in real good shape. Think i might grab it. For the mony cant beat it. Has a good flat bed body for wood.

Theres atleast 7 tree companys within 10 miles of me.

Finished up the Oak tree in front of gift shop at arborioum, but before we left we were going to take out a small sycamore that they needed removed. I suited up put in the choker and started to lower my self to the ground. It wasn't big and we were going to take it in one pick. There was a fence, I had to lower on my self on the other side. I almost was about to land in some bushes when my slow thought process clicked on,"Poison Oak", the area was infested. I am highly allergic to it and start itching just looking at it. The crane was already tentioned so I had to footlock my way up and over to the safety of the otherside of the fence. I was experimenting for the first time using a pulley for my rope off the crane. That made my getaway a lot easier.
We sent a new guy over the fence and he made the cut. Said he didn't know if he's allergic or not. he'll know tomorrow.View attachment 287146View attachment 287147View attachment 287148

What is the difference between PI and PO?

Last fall I looked at a silver maple for a client that the city wanted cut down due to a complaint from her neighbours that it was hazardous. She wanted my opinion and I told her at the time, that I'm sure the city would have sent an arborist to make that determination and not just someone from bylaw. Since I was doing other quotes in the area, I dropped by to have a look.
It was 40" DBH in their front yard, and one look at the rot in the main trunk section, I can understand why the neighbours were complaining. I gave her a quote and did not hear from her, thinking she may have gone with another company.

Last week I get a frantic call from her saying that the city had just personally served her. Apparently she did not pick up the 2 prior registered letters from the post office that were delivered over the winter. The order stated that she has 30 days to have the tree removed or the city will have it removed and fine her up to $25,000. I told her we'd get it done in two weeks, after I had rearranged my schedule. I notified the enforcement officer of the date we'd be removing the tree and she asked me if that included the work to the trees in the back of the property that were included in the order.

That threw up too many flags for me. I contacted the homeowner and advised them my quote did not include the rear trees, which she understood. I also stated that I was going to have her sign a contract and that I would require 1/2 the price of the job (cash or certified cheque) on the morning of the job date and the remainder when we were finished. No problem she told me, but she just wanted to talk with her husband about it.

Two days go by and I call today and end up talking with the husband who asks if I can reduce the price if I leave the wood. Very small yard. Then he asks if we can cut it up and put in in the back yard. We'd have to load it in a pick up to go through an alley to access the back yard. I said the price would be the same as if we take it away. It would actually be more work. Then he asks if we can just leave it on the front lawn and he'll bury it with topsoil. It would completely fill his tiny front yard. I explained this, gave him my reduced price, but said that if bylaw did not allow this (I knew they wouldn't) we'd have to charge him more to come back and get the wood that the reduction we gave him to leave it.

Then he said that he wasn't going to go with me, he'd "chance it".

I honestly think they don't have the money. It will be unfortunate when the city puts a huge bill on their property taxes.

Tyvek suits. Always carry some in the truck for PI or PO or since I'm old, in case I poop my pants but want to keep working or stop at McDonalds on the way home.
Phil

Last fall I looked at a silver maple for a client that the city wanted cut down due to a complaint from her neighbours that it was hazardous. She wanted my opinion and I told her at the time, that I'm sure the city would have sent an arborist to make that determination and not just someone from bylaw. Since I was doing other quotes in the area, I dropped by to have a look.
It was 40" DBH in their front yard, and one look at the rot in the main trunk section, I can understand why the neighbours were complaining. I gave her a quote and did not hear from her, thinking she may have gone with another company.

Last week I get a frantic call from her saying that the city had just personally served her. Apparently she did not pick up the 2 prior registered letters from the post office that were delivered over the winter. The order stated that she has 30 days to have the tree removed or the city will have it removed and fine her up to $25,000. I told her we'd get it done in two weeks, after I had rearranged my schedule. I notified the enforcement officer of the date we'd be removing the tree and she asked me if that included the work to the trees in the back of the property that were included in the order.

That threw up too many flags for me. I contacted the homeowner and advised them my quote did not include the rear trees, which she understood. I also stated that I was going to have her sign a contract and that I would require 1/2 the price of the job (cash or certified cheque) on the morning of the job date and the remainder when we were finished. No problem she told me, but she just wanted to talk with her husband about it.

Two days go by and I call today and end up talking with the husband who asks if I can reduce the price if I leave the wood. Very small yard. Then he asks if we can cut it up and put in in the back yard. We'd have to load it in a pick up to go through an alley to access the back yard. I said the price would be the same as if we take it away. It would actually be more work. Then he asks if we can just leave it on the front lawn and he'll bury it with topsoil. It would completely fill his tiny front yard. I explained this, gave him my reduced price, but said that if bylaw did not allow this (I knew they wouldn't) we'd have to charge him more to come back and get the wood that the reduction we gave him to leave it.

Then he said that he wasn't going to go with me, he'd "chance it".

I honestly think they don't have the money. It will be unfortunate when the city puts a huge bill on their property taxes.

It can really suck being broke and having to deal with big hazzard trees. I don't exactly know what this guy is going to " chance" but I wish him luck. " Can we bury the wood with topsoil"... well I guess anything is possible.

It can really suck being broke and having to deal with big hazzard trees. I don't exactly know what this guy is going to " chance" but I wish him luck. " Can we bury the wood with topsoil"... well I guess anything is possible.

I will take payments from certain cutomers. I always feel them out real good and if I sense anything strange I dont even mention it. Its always only for 2-3 months.

Cut out a group of wild cherries and found this group , man there were 8 squirrels there , one didn't make it , I was thinking of taking one as a pet
y3eruveh.jpg
y8ajyze3.jpg
it's that time of year again.
7uhy9eru.jpg

Last edited:
I have a maple to do tomarrow and the women wants me to remove three squirrel nests, she said they scare her. If there are pups in any im leaving them.

It weighed on me all day , he was still alive when he hit the ground but was suffering so I did what had to be done . I don't like to start my day like that .

I know what you mean, it sucks when you have to do that. They are such cute little critters.

I used to hunt them when I was younger. About 7 years ago I shot one and it was laying there staring at me, it made me feel sorry for it and I told myself I will never shot another one.

Last edited:
The squirrels where Im from are all brown. There is a town 20miles away and all of them are black.

The squirrels where Im from are all brown. There is a town 20miles away and all of them are black.

My old partner grabbed one out of nest , around the same age as the ones from today . He had it for 3 years , it would sleep in the prisoner cab of the chip truck , it made a bed in a leather glove and would eat Cheetos outta my hand . He had it in the garage one day and it was gone . I figured it moved into the woods or was eaten , I was tempted today to take one home but I have to many animals as it is .

Back