whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's kind of how I do it too. I will have mini skid on the pick up, chipper on back of the chip truck and dump trailer on the back of the bucket truck, or vice versa. 2 chip boxes for wood or chips plus the dump trailer. I want a grapple truck!

Grapple trucks are an incredible waste of money unless you're doing major land clears on a regular basis. I bought one and sold it. Much better ways to spend your money. I don't sell firewood. Byproduct is a pain in my ass. I have a great grapple truck that comes to all my sites when needed for a hundo a run. No brainer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I
I haul my dingo on my 18' skid steer trailer. I can haul the wood home and the dingo too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Skid steer trailer as in float? I could do that to but then get back to the yard and pick every piece off the trailer and handle it twice? Box goes up ..... Wood comes out!

I

Skid steer trailer as in float? I could do that to but then get back to the yard and pick every piece off the trailer and handle it twice? Box goes up ..... Wood comes out!
I normally pick the wood back off the trailer with my full size loader. It only takes a few minutes. Plus then I can stack the logs in a pile. My yard is very tight so every inch of space is precious.

That is the boat I am currently rowing....very much of a pita.

Yes! The little trailer will take the weight of the mini. But I also got it for my ATV. tow ATV to cottage, unhook trailer from truck and hook it to ATV load it with junk and go. Nice and light dual purpose. It's also a nice trailer for the little 252 grinder.

I normally pick the wood back off the trailer with my full size loader. It only takes a few minutes. Plus then I can stack the logs in a pile. My yard is very tight so every inch of space is precious.

Gotcha. I can't always get wood out in logs, the short crap has to go home in the dump trailer or chip box. I have put stakes on my float and done just what you have mentioned.

I can normally always get two longer logs. So I put them on the outside and all the small pieces in the middle and strap the **** out of it. Lol

Grapple trucks are an incredible waste of money unless you're doing major land clears on a regular basis. I bought one and sold it. Much better ways to spend your money. I don't sell firewood. Byproduct is a pain in my ass. I have a great grapple truck that comes to all my sites when needed for a hundo a run. No brainer.

Does he take the wood as part of the payment too? For a hundred a run I don't know how he covers his fuel for that not to mention wear and tear, licensing and insurance and pay himself at the end of the day unless you are cutting next door to him. Good deal for you!

Does he take the wood as part of the payment too? For a hundred a run I don't know how he covers his fuel for that not to mention wear and tear, licensing and insurance and pay himself at the end of the day unless you are cutting next door to him. Good deal for you!

No **** it's a good deal! Yes, he gets paid by the load by one of several Mills a little North of our area of operation.

I sell firewood, and it is a lot of work for not a whole lot of money. Just another pita that fills in lulls when work is slow.
If we didn't also heat with wood I would feel less keen about dragging it home.
Your $100 grapple truck deal sounds like a win - win for sure.

Insurance and reg fees alone in my state for a pos 50k plus gvwr are over 5k. Then you have maintenance, fuel, etc. Then you have to pay for the truck. No thanks, not at this level at least.

"The general rule when building a trailer is that there should be a 60/40 percent split in weight when centering the axle. 60 percent of the trailer weight should be placed forward of the axle for proper tongue weight." Googled "trailer axle placement" and found that sentence on etrailer dot com site.

"The general rule when building a trailer is that there should be a 60/40 percent split in weight when centering the axle. 60 percent of the trailer weight should be placed forward of the axle for proper tongue weight." Googled "trailer axle placement" and found that sentence on etrailer dot com site.

That's right! Better to have the tongue heavier than the rear and be fish tailing out of control!

That's right! Better to have the tongue heavier than the rear and be fish tailing out of control!

tongue weight on the loaded trailer to be between 9 - 15% of the total gross weight.
Whether you decide to drive or back the mini onto your single axle trailer is going to significantly alter that tongue weight, I think.

Little trailer for the mini skid is key especially if you work in hard to park places. New guy can handle a pickup with a little trailer, don't even notice the weight behind the bucket, quick and easy to unload, unhook, and get it out the way.
ydejeqyp.jpg

Little trailer for the mini skid is key especially if you work in hard to park places. New guy can handle a pickup with a little trailer, don't even notice the weight behind the bucket, quick and easy to unload, unhook, and get it out the way.
ydejeqyp.jpg
I'm not saying they're completely without merit. I just have different priorities I suppose. I'm looking to fab a set of ramps so I can actually seat mine on the back of my rear mount. And now that there is a crane in the picture, when she rolls, the cat and dingo will ride on her deck. Trailers are a pita in general most of the time.

Looks like yesterday morning here. A nice balmy 25° out there at the moment. At least the snow melted. Most annoying winter ever. Hatred. Off to work today. Gotta get started on my savings for next winter, ya know.
Yeah, 1/4 inch on the ground here yesterday. Too busy to put anything off. I just got back from fla.

That was kinda my point. Why custom make a tiny ass trailer? To each his own......
aluminum too....unneeded expense I think. My trailers (both haul Dingo and STX 38 stumper together) can be pulled by hand anywhere if no equipment on them. One is a tilt and the other is a drop gate. Don't think you want to make a habit hauling the mini on a dumptrailer as like said, gonna be full of schit sometimes...occassionally yes.

Yesterday I saw a bunch of hillbillies mom and kids included doing a 5k job I bid on a 80 ft ash 4'dbh and they had a rental lift that went about 40'. House is a mansion from 1800's. What a sight.

They are on 7 days now with 5 to 7 "people" on the job and still not near finished. Can't believe they got it down but 3 fence sections of 3 rail are broken to the ground and ALL the wood is still there but cut to firewood and some has been put next to the road which is illegal in my town. NOTHING has been raked, including the road. I know she is not keeping the wood because I bid it and she turned the mansion (my hs friend used to live there) into a bed and breakfast prob spending 2 million renovating (plus cost of house) on a house whose value is less than 1 mill.

Back