whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a little oh **** today, picking a maybe 16 inch elm, tree was cut almost through the tree tipped just a tad so I get back over it tension up on her an let off the controls and holy **** why is she free spooling? Like omg everybody run, kidding not that bad. But when you don't expect the brake on the winch to fail it sure does catch u off guard

So glad that I don't have to deal with big logs like that anymore. I've handled my fair share of them.

Years ago, I was hired to removed a huge cottonwood. It was one of the biggest in my area. I took the 52 ft. boom straight up and down next to the tree and had to get out and climb the rest of the way up. Anyway, we got it down and chipped, hauled 13 dump truck loads of logs...not including the trunk itself. I used a 3120XP with a 6 ft. bar to cut the trunk from both sides. I barely made it across the main crotch. We had a brand new JCB telescopic loader that was supposed to lift 8000 lbs. I don't know how heavy those trunk sections were but I cut them to about 4-5 feet and that loader wouldn't lift them more than about a foot off the ground before the back wheels lifted off the ground. The customer had a place to take the trunk that was a few blocks away....just outside of that little town so I decided to chain each section to the forks and slowly move them one by one with one of the guys walking next to me because the logs were so big that I couldn't see where I was going. No way could I get them in the dump truck without cutting them much smaller and I already had enough of running that 3120xp for that day!

Anytime you're using a 6 ft bar....it's probably going to be a tough day! Anyway....yeah....cool story, bro...I know. :)

Don't look like the clam could have gotten around the whole thing to grab it...
We just use a chain if it's to big, but most of the time it will squeeze tight enough that it won't slip off.

Jared if you try and pick something up and thr overload kicks on you will still be able to put it back down.

We just use a chain if it's to big, but most of the time it will squeeze tight enough that it won't slip off.

Jared if you try and pick something up and thr overload kicks on you will still be able to put it back down.
I have had mine shut down and the only movement u could do was open the grapple. I need to call him about the paint on the chip box anyway so I will ask him about that.

Took my new rig out for it's first run. GMC 4500 and a Bandit 250xp. Made it halfway down the drive to the building and since the owners had decided not to salt or plow there was about a 3 inch sheet of ice and a 10 degree grade to the right I slid off and had to be winched out. Guess I'll try again tomorrow. Bahahahaha

2Tree I'd call him pretty quick on that. Maybe get it before things get really busy. I believe Matt's had the same problem with the top rusting. I know that the grapple boom is the big money piece but for the amount of money that truck cost, the damn bed should stay looking good.
Hey Matt , any luck finding the engine manual for that 250xp ?

2Tree I'd call him pretty quick on that. Maybe get it before things get really busy. I believe Matt's had the same problem with the top rusting. I know that the grapple boom is the big money piece but for the amount of money that truck cost, the damn bed should stay looking good.
Hey Matt , any luck finding the engine manual for that 250xp ?
Yes I got it I been selling crap on ebay ill throw it in a flatrate box and send it to you as soon as I drop my next ebay sales off.

Emergency tree removal! Water line busted beneath thIs Apple tree. Had to remove it and the stump for repair.
9089f2c03845b1b6a2ad13ebf0347e93.jpg

The ice is from the water shooting up and then freezing on the tree.

Some fun from Monday. It took 8 hours for us to get the Black oak completely down....which was nice cause I bid 12. Video starts slow with srt ascend. Then zipping large limbs and wood. I almost take out the mini though.

It puts some things into perspective. The class was at Swan Point Cemetery in providence. The grounds were stunningly beautiful even in the winter. Almost every tree and shrub was meticulously maintained. As well as the official resting place of H.P. Lovecraft.

It puts some things into perspective. The class was at Swan Point Cemetery in providence. The grounds were stunningly beautiful even in the winter. Almost every tree and shrub was meticulously maintained. As well as the official resting place of H.P. Lovecraft.
Do you feel it will really help you determine hazard level of the tree? I work with 2 boros here, and they have me look over their trees every year. I'm looking for a more scientific evaluation, instead of experience and college learning.

Do you feel it will really help you determine hazard level of the tree? I work with 2 boros here, and they have me look over their trees every year. I'm looking for a more scientific evaluation, instead of experience and college learning.

Yes. Absolutely. It is basically assessing the tree on three different points. Likelihood for part or tree to fail, likelihood to impact, and consequences. Assess independently of each other and then put in this matrix (no keaneu reeves) for an overall rating.

Not exactly as I said but that's the jest of it. But the best part is the form you fill out, very official, and it is a really good way to validate a sound conclusion to the client. The vast majority of the time a tree's risk rating is low or moderate so you can steer the client towards preservation and phc work.

Back