whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a runaway explained to me by a mechanic but take it with a grain of salt...

The piston rings get worn down enough to allow oil from the bottom end up into the head. The engine still has enough compression to ignite said oil and keep the engine going, revving out till there is no oil left in the pan to blow through the Pistons. Then the whole works asplodes.

I had a runaway explained to me by a mechanic but take it with a grain of salt...

The piston rings get worn down enough to allow oil from the bottom end up into the head. The engine still has enough compression to ignite said oil and keep the engine going, revving out till there is no oil left in the pan to blow through the Pistons. Then the whole works asplodes.
explodes
grammar and punctuation is your life!

That happened to my father on a commercial boat engine. The crew got ready to jump ship if it exploded. On larger engines it can be a bad bad scenario.

Beautiful!,,
We got off early today, the guys worked 5 hours and got paid for 8 overtime.
I hate overtime because I am salary, but I love a happy crew.
On a low note, one of our chip trucks became a "Run away",,at least that is what our mechanic calls it.
It is a Ford F-650 with a Cummins,, I pulled up on the job and was behind that truck and chipper as it was moving up to the next chip pile.
What is a run away?
So as I pull up to the job and saw the driver moving up so I put on my flashers and stayed behind until they set up,
So they are set up and I pull ahead and pull over and back up some to get closer,,,all of a sudden, I see massive white smoke coming out of the F-650 exhaust and told the driver to shut it off. He jumped of the cab with keys in his hand, the truck rpm's was climbing so fast and we could not shut it down in time before it blew the radiator hoses and shot the turbo,,, so I waiting to hear about how that happened,
all he said was it was a run away,,
Jeff

Did he have the hitch pin in?

I love Easter. It's like the last pita holiday for a good while. We can all celebrate how Santa crawled out of his cave and then get on with making some money.

Weight a minute... I know I have not been around for a while but why does it say daddy under your name? If the world is coming to an end I want to get to church one more time this week in case I left something out.

Runaways are most often caused by the turbo gernading then the lube line for the turbo pours oil into the intake which the truck burns for fuel. Only way to shut it off is cut the air supply, stall it out if you have a manual, or wait til it runs out of oil.

It can also be from oil leaking into the turbo and getting into the motor that way.

Back