whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on ROW clearings for the gas company. It's been two whole days and nobody has threatened to sue or shoot me yet. Starting off better than last season! I don't really enjoy this kind of work but I also realized last February that there are not many people in our industry ( let alone in Ohio) that can have unlimited overtime all winter long. Do I really want to work those hours? Hell no! But I also would like to have no mortgage in a couple of years.

A few more odds and ends to fill up the new truck,, or the international, whichever. The plan is eventually just having everything I could possibly need on both trucks, so no switching gear around each time one truck stays at the shop, or whatever. Is kinda fun setting up a new truck. We already put the plywood down in the boxes a couple weeks back.
image.jpeg

What are you using for blocks? Have you tried the fancy rings?

Just the large cmi stainless steel. I just have the one long sling and x ring that I use for the grcs. That actually worked out real well (as I figured it would). I don't think I'll be rigging with the triple rings (or whatever they're feeding us now) anytime soon.

This morning K Joe and I removed a 20" silver maple from an old couple's front yard. It was the kind of job I don't enjoy as an arborist. There was not one defect with the tree or problem it was causing. They said "We're too old to rake the leaves." So they paid us $675 to cut it down and grind the stump. I'm sure that could have paid for someone to rake the leaves for the rest of their lives. Anyway, they shot the whole thing on video so maybe I'll get some footage of me running the bucket.

This morning K Joe and I removed a 20" silver maple from an old couple's front yard. It was the kind of job I don't enjoy as an arborist. There was not one defect with the tree or problem it was causing. They said "We're too old to rake the leaves." So they paid us $675 to cut it down and grind the stump. I'm sure that could have paid for someone to rake the leaves for the rest of their lives. Anyway, they shot the whole thing on video so maybe I'll get some footage of me running the bucket.

As an arborist, this is the sort of thing I hate to hear about. Please allow me to slide the virtual box of tissues over your way. :laugh:

prices sure are depressed in your area

dbl612, What would something like that pay in your area? That's on the low side for here depending on what is around the tree. I sold a maple removal last week for $550 including the stump but it's around a 14" tree. There's a fence on one side of it but otherwise wide open. Part of what you have to look at in different areas is cost of living. Here a nice 1800 sq ft house in a decent neighborhood on a 1/2 acre is usually around $140K to $160K for instance.

There were no obstacles around the tree and it took us under two hours without the stump grind so the price seemed alright to me. We could have felled it but I had the bucket truck so I used it.

Just curious,,why use the bucket?
I always feel that the bucket is kinda in the way if you can fell it.
Jeff

Back