whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree articulated wheel loaders are damn useful.

Had a mid size Schaffer on a job recently with Vermeer & much larger, ancient Aveling Bastard. Was a big dead radiata pine, no chipping, the two smaller machines smashed it out, big old warhorse just lifted logs at end.

One thing both machines do is make tractors redundant for tree work. Tractors pull well, but for lifting & tight manoeuvre’s they are stone age.
The Tree MDS gots a tractor I believe?

Nice to wake up and have a gigantic tree in a tight spot that fell on a fence (insurance claim)....(crane job) that I know is gigantic $ as it is a previous client, on your email to bid on first thing in the mornin'.

The Giant does everything the mini skid does, picks up twice as much higher for loading, without the lawn damage.
We are looking to get one for those reasons and keep the sk850 for the slob jobs where lawn damage is not a concern or tight fits won’t allow the Giant to get in.
Lawn damage? Most of the time we only need two 4'x4' plyboards (one at the tree and one at the truck) to 360 on if drought time of the year (which seems to be coming to an end). Mini way easier on yards. If it is wet you just need one row of dura mats (or plyboard if you a tightwad like the tree MESS...I mean MDS.

The Tree MDS gots a tractor I believe?

Yep, I see'd that.

My main use for tractors now if when I approach local farmers to pull our bogged arses out of a wet paddock. More than half our work is well off road, sometimes many kilometres. Bloody single axle chipper drags down trucks like no tomorrow.

With his Giant, he could move Johnny D on or keep it for plowing the potato patch & get a Vermeer CTX160 or big Ditchwith CTL. Some of the newer models are getting into good horsepower territory now.

You crazy old bastid
I just don't care anymore. Ever since the city here took down a 240 year old bur oak last year and billed the utility $35,000. without taking the wood away and no stump grind included...well...I just don't care. I don't want the job at all but at that price I will do it. I think they expect you to just bill the time on the job and forget about what you have to do with the wood once you leave. Nearest dump with over 24" dia wood here is hour and half almost each way.

Of course there are large estates around here too but a mini loader is still relevant. With your set up I guess you forward the logs with the Giant and then load with the log loader truck. I bought my log truck, a 20' bed Low Boy F800 to either be loaded with the mini or Bobcat. Eliminates a step...and an expensive truck. Can also load with the crane as well.

But yeah...people land lock their back yards all the time here on million dollar suburban properties...stupid as fk.

Can you please send a pic of your truck? I need something- and would love to not buy a log truck. However, I have a hard time loading my dump truck with my mini once I have the gate up. The tractor has much higher reach.

Around here a tractor is super useful. Mine has a grapple on the front and uniforest winch on the back. We use it constantly but I can see how it might not be as helpful in a more urban environment.

Can you please send a pic of your truck? I need something- and would love to not buy a log truck. However, I have a hard time loading my dump truck with my mini once I have the gate up. The tractor has much higher reach.

Around here a tractor is super useful. Mine has a grapple on the front and uniforest winch on the back. We use it constantly but I can see how it might not be as helpful in a more urban environment.
Tractor with grapple is another story. Seen some very nice ones.

2000 F800 low boy. Built up rear springs. 20' bed and I load up 20' logs often. 5.9 litre, 359 CID L 6 Cummins (again my favorite engine) 6B Turbo diesel with now 54,000 original miles. Most of my jobs are less than 5 miles away. Huge dual pistons that get it straight up. Since picture have added a little height to bed and tailgate and a box behind the cab but it is set up to load the Dingo on it.

10688013_1031415763583164_6328948988157612815_o.jpg37637358_1828399630587800_3729008335735750656_o.jpg

Fired the guy operating the crane because he joined a motorcycle gang here who is always getting in the news for breaking the law and causing trouble. Had him about 6 years and he began relapsing. Was in prison for few years but that didn't matter to me.

Fired the guy operating the crane because he joined a motorcycle gang here who is always getting in the news for breaking the law and causing trouble. Had him about 6 years and he began relapsing. Was in prison for few years but that didn't matter to me.
need a new operator? I watched a yt video last week, im a pro

never lost my drivers license (never had one)
never gone to jail (not old enough)

oh, and havent joined a gang (im too weird)

I think the log truck you have can dictate what loader you buy or conversely what loader you have can dictate what log truck you need to buy. My latest scheme to get rid of my latest Silverado 3500 4x4 and buy a F550 4x4 dump (9') and it is a 11' flatbed with gate down and use as my drive around vehicle and another log truck...

has worked out real nice especially the amazing turning radius it has and the load capacity at around 12k you can put on it and the low bed and side access for saws and tools in and out. We use it almost every day for logs put in by the dingos it tows, take the logs to the back of my lot and dump them, load them in the log truck with the Bobcat grapple or forks to go to the dump with a large load.

Tractor with grapple is another story. Seen some very nice ones.

2000 F800 low boy. Built up rear springs. 20' bed and I load up 20' logs often. 5.9 litre, 359 CID L 6 Cummins (again my favorite engine) 6B Turbo diesel with now 54,000 original miles. Most of my jobs are less than 5 miles away. Huge dual pistons that get it straight up. Since picture have added a little height to bed and tailgate and a box behind the cab but it is set up to load the Dingo on it.

View attachment 928595View attachment 928596

You can load the dingo on the platform behind the cab? Now that is nice.

IF you ever retire, let me make an offer on that truck!

Yesterday Big Dave dropped and caught a big polar top and a little dead piece of it flew off right into a shed roof and poked a hole. They spent the morning fixing the hole and a swampy lawn we rutted up. Pouring rain now. It feels good to get that stuff done. Oh, and they did an $800 chipping job to cover the day's costs. I think it's the first profitable chipping job we've done.

Latest posts

Back