whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree service costs should start at over $100. per hour. Mechanics make more than that. And that should include pre job planning/pricing and after work costs such as travel home and disposing of all or some of the material in your truck/s and lot from their job imo. Of course you should be an upper tier performer so far as knowledge, ability to complete the work and involved in that...be equipped to complete the work as quickly as any other top tier company could do it.

Forums tend to lead all posting to feel parity is the same with everyone on them but some have way more knowledge, skills, equipment, etc. than others and naturally someone taking (if it were possible to compare on a forum) down the exact same tree as others may actually be WORTH more than someone else removing the exact tree imo for among other things than ...peace of mind in hiring them, status in using them, reputation, experience, certifications....etc etc.....imo.

So I get a check in the mail today for a post storm cleanup job that this woman agreed on a predetermined price and we cleaned up flawlessly and used mats.
Attached to the check was this letter complaining about what I charged.
fe7de7bdddcec953294add93df9ca603.jpg

Sounds like a standard whinge, exacerbated by the insurer not paying out.

Her last line sums it up. Personally, would just let it ride & put it behind me, you've done your job, maintained your standard of work. Was we all know, just because the tree is fallen, or partially fallen, doesn't necessarily make it easier, safer or cheaper to deal with.

I find insurance jobs tricky, somewhat inconsistent in rationale, sometime they pay through the nose without a murmur, sometimes they try to work through all the fine print for weeks to avoid pay anything.

Finished an insurance job today, hopefully all will be smooth sailing, damage & works documented, written confirmation of acceptance of claim from insurer, invoice to be neatly separated between the insurance claim & additional work undertaken while on site.

Had another earlier in year where insurer was refusing to pay despite the quite a bit of damage to roof of residence fences etc, multiple fences, involved numerous trees, quibbling over a sub $10,000 invoice.

Whilst a guy who recently started working for me had one largish leader fall of a river gum, land in a small dam, laid the wire down on a poor quality stock fence he was planning on removing anyway, roughly estimated three hours to deal with, probably bump it up to four hours for an insurance job, main issue was boggy access to area, but really simple even with the water involved. Insurer offered them a $12,500 cash settlement payout!! Nearly fell of my chair.

Still overpaid....
I charge for the job done NOT the time off the ground
he wanted the tree gone, its gone

so, taking an hour and a half out of my day, to go remove a tree, but its not work that I can charge for when im on the ground? good way to run a business into the ground, what I charge has to cover the driving, gas, my time, and any chance I could have used that time to make more money

to be clear, I never really intended on charging him, he decided to pay me as I was leaving

have a problem with a stranger helping a friend? PM me about it, or quit whining

so, taking an hour and a half out of my day, to go remove a tree, but its not work that I can charge for when im on the ground? good way to run a business into the ground, what I charge has to cover the driving, gas, my time, and any chance I could have used that time to make more money

Was sarcastic.

Off course I understand these things.

to be clear, I never really intended on charging him, he decided to pay me as I was leaving

have a problem with a stranger helping a friend? PM me about it, or quit whining
You make no sense.
You state you charge for the job done but then claim you were going to do it for a friend as a favor. The guy paid you what HE thought it was worth if you claim that he paid you as you were leaving is true.

And the fee pays for driving and gas etc.

you don't have a license. what driving? :laugh:

Sounds like a standard whinge, exacerbated by the insurer not paying out.

I find insurance jobs tricky, somewhat inconsistent in rationale, sometime they pay through the nose without a murmur, sometimes they try to work through all the fine print for weeks to avoid pay anything.

Finished an insurance job today, hopefully all will be smooth sailing, damage & works documented, written confirmation of acceptance of claim from insurer, invoice to be neatly separated between the insurance claim & additional work undertaken while on site.

Had another earlier in year where insurer was refusing to pay despite the quite a bit of damage to roof of residence fences etc, multiple fences, involved numerous trees, quibbling over a sub $10,000 invoice.
Long long ago at my beginning some 50 plus years ago I had trouble even getting a phone call through to collect my (my) money from their insurance. It was as obvious as the nose on my face that they owed absolutely NOTHING to me and they knew it and used it.

Since then every insurance claim I have bid and this has to number in the thousands...I write a contract where the ho (homeowner) pays me ON COMPLETION and it is up to them to collect from their insurance company from the quote or the invoice.

Never had a problem or worry since. We get massive storms here and I will pick out the fattest jobs with the most agreeable ho...and get a contract signed to the above affect and begin a make safe effort (partial performance also defines a contract) and move on to the next huge job. It works here in the states, don't know how it works in Oz.

You either charged for the job or you did it for free and he threw you a hun...which is it. And was Mom paid to transport you or was she inside talking about recipes lol.

You either charged for the job or you did it for free and he threw you a hun...which is it. And was Mom paid to transport you or was she inside talking about recipes lol.
was going to do it for free, then he paid me = I charged for it

and, it was my dad, and he is a sucker for $5, easy transport, he basically stood there looking at unimogs and chatting

Latest posts

Back