whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really, the only way to go. No matter how fast you can tie a knot, you cant beat the speed of opening the gate. Plus alot situations call for the needed weight to toss out a biner for balance point rigging. I only use slings for lowering several branches at time, slings are a lot slower to undo then a biner. Plus knots really seem to rattle goundys.

I can see the sling deal for lowering multiple branches at a time - on a conifer. admittedly tying three of four cloves at a time is slow to tie and untie. As far as this biner deal goes with the hardwoods, maybe you need to take fewer (bigger) cuts, and make them count more.. just thinking out loud here.

Funny how some the newer guys seem to think people haven't been taking down bad ass trees sinse long before they came along (myself included). Some of the techniques I use on really tricky (and or big) trees, I know have been around for at least 30 years. But what do I know..

Today we craned out 9 mature Lombardy’s. Busy day but quite obvious in my mind that there was no panic....yet there was guys rushing around, seemingly panicking soon as the crane rolled up. Didn’t really warm to the CO nor he to I it seemed. Soon as I rejected his loggers choker, showed him how I was going to tie into the ball (not his way), and that I would tell him how much to pre-load by each time, I just got the feeling that he wasn’t happy at the loss of control on his part perhaps....could be wrong but I doubt it.

Pick after pick just separated from each tree, clinical... and multi-slinging the big tops slashed half a day off what had been priced for. Not even a ‘see ya’ at the end of the day, just got in his crane and fcked off. Boy I hope my pride never holds me back like that.

I wouldn't sweat it Reg we all know you are a badass in the tree.

Vet is right though, you flaccid, used to be fat, (still loudmouthed bastard)... you haven't managed to back up any of your blabber with even so much as a single (recent) pic of any (quality or otherwise) work that you've done!!

It's really not all that hard bro... we all know you got posting them same couple of old ones down already!! :laugh:

Not cool at all , and thats all I am gonna say about that as a matter of fact you jumped into dialog that had nothing even to do with you , and then to go there ... I am sorry but I just changed my whole opinion..... peace ....

I can see the sling deal for lowering multiple branches at a time - on a conifer. admittedly tying three of four cloves at a time is slow to tie and untie. As far as this biner deal goes with the hardwoods, maybe you need to take fewer (bigger) cuts, and make them count more.. just thinking out loud here.

Funny how some the newer guys seem to think people haven't been taking down bad ass trees sinse long before they came along (myself included). Some of the techniques I use on really tricky (and or big) trees, I know have been around for at least 30 years. But what do I know..

Why so defensive, read my post never said i'm doing anything extraordinary. Just wanted to point out tying knots all day is really inefficient. As far as taking bigger pieces, I run a crew of five including myself, you better believe I go as big as possible. I'm pretty sure working five days a week, year round for the past five years equals your 2 days a week during the spring and summer months.

I started to use the biner thing today on these ash we took down. I didnt though. I didnt have a steel biner and didnt want to use one of my petzl auto lockers and I would assume that a non locker isnt the best idea. But mostly.... I think I just enjoy tieing knots:laugh:. Check out the triple crotch over head I got goin on for the tree over the house. I was loving it. And I already know these trees arnt big so no need to point it out. It was a nice relaxing front yard job for a super nice weather Friday. Everything went great except for a small arguement between my father n son groundies which almost got outa hand. They will both get a talking to over the weekend..seperately. But I did make it clear, today, that F bombs will not be tolerated on any job of mine from here on out. Never....ever. There will be two new faces if it happens agian. Believe that. Otherwise....a great day for tree work!!View attachment 201876View attachment 201877

Why so defensive, read my post never said i'm doing anything extraordinary. Just wanted to point out tying knots all day is really inefficient. As far as taking bigger pieces, I run a crew of five including myself, you better believe I go as big as possible. I'm pretty sure working five days a week, year round for the past five years equals your 2 days a week during the spring and summer months.

Was just killing some time talking a little smack while waiting for an estimate. no biggie. Far as how many days a week you work.. sounds good. If I told you how few hours I worked this week, and what I cleared, you would look at your pay stubb and vomit.. just sayin. Of course I'd prefer to be busier, but sometimes it just is what it is. You'll see someday (hopefully).

This tree will make a good video but I don't have time to mess with it now. Here is one clip though:

[video=youtube;3ArRLnxTq70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ArRLnxTq70[/video]

The battery went dead working the spar though and I didn't bother having one sent up.

Me either! So much faster! More and more are going this way, and the manufacturers know it. Prices for slings have doubled in the last 2 years.

Lol faster is right and if something gets hung up just throw another sling on it cut it too lol:cheers: I zip alot but on pines I usually clip first limb the slide five or so more down to it before signaling to lower!

All day today taking English ivy off of a mansion with 2 guys and both pickers. Real good visibility on a Sat. tho and no price quote nec. Ivy is on brick and not so bad as on painted wood. Still gonna be a pita tho;.:msp_sad:

Looks like you could flush cut that with a 16or 20" bar. I woulda bought or borrowed a saw.

I had a 441 with a 28 and a hand sharpened chain, and I gave up. I woulda liked to see some poor ass take that down with a 16.... The stump is way bigger than you must think it is..

I had a 441 with a 28 and a hand sharpened chain, and I gave up. I woulda liked to see some poor ass take that down with a 16.... The stump is way bigger than you must think it is..

You gave it up , like as in adoption or something ? Kinda tough to cut trees with out the right saw and the extra wear and tear cutting stumps like that with a 352 will pay for that saw real quick ... I dunno maybe I may be misunderstanding you or something ..

This tree will make a good video but I don't have time to mess with it now. Here is one clip though:

[video=youtube;3ArRLnxTq70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ArRLnxTq70[/video]

The battery went dead working the spar though and I didn't bother having one sent up.

Man I am not gonna lie that tree had some beautiful color leaves on it , I mean the white oaks around here haven't even started yet ... fall is by far my favorite time of the year to be in a tree ...

Latest posts

Back