whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro Bono work turns dangerous ..

Today I did five evaluations and scored a trim job for tomorrow without any cleanup. Being dumptruckless has had me knocking off small jobs I can do without the chipper and dump truck. First thing in the morning I stopped to see Matts new crane and it's awesome, can't wait to see it working.

After i got home I had time to do some work for a friend's father. A simple topping of a Pine tree so Dave (the HO) could drop it without hitting the wires that surrounded it. Once I got there I saw that it was quite dead and I had to go back for a climbing line and set pole so I could tie off in a nearby tree. By the time I got back and rigged up it was getting dark, so the video is not very good.

[video=youtube;4jPFP85N2T0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jPFP85N2T0[/video]

A shallow face cut and aggressive back cut made the safety line redundant, but I felt better about it.

Last edited:
How to Identify Red Oak Vs. Pin Oak
By John Lindell, eHow Contributor updated April 15, 2011

Print this article
Related Searches:
Oak SeedlingsBurr Oak

Pin oak leaves have from five to seven pointed lobes.
Both the red oak (Quercus rubra) and the pin oak (Quercus palustris) make fine shade and lawn trees, but they are very different types of oaks. While both share many of the same traits -- such as growing in full sun, acidic soil and to similar heights -- these two oaks have very diverse forms. Telling them apart is not difficult, even in the winter when they lack their foliage.

Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions

Observe the form of pin oak compared to red oak. Both species grow to around 75 feet tall, but the pin oak has a very distinctive branching habit. The lower branches point downward, the middle branches point straight out in a horizontal fashion and the upper limbs point toward the sky. The red oak has upright branches that spread out, forming a rounded crown.

Study the lower portion of both trees. The pin oak, especially in the wild, loses its lower branches in many instances because of the shade yielded by surrounding trees. The branches die and break away, leaving pin-like nubs protruding from the trunk. The red oak, with a straight trunk often devoid of branches low down, lacks any such growth.

Measure the leaves of both oak species. The leaf of a pin oak is from 3 to 6 inches long, while red oak leaves are between 5 and 8 inches in length. Pin oak leaves are much narrower than those of the red oak. Pin oak has leaves possessing from five to seven pointy lobes, while a red oak leaf has between seven to 11 pointy lobes.

Examine the acorns of the pin oak, comparing them to those of a red oak. The acorns on a pin oak are about ½ inch long and almost round, according to the "National Audubon Society Field Guide to Trees: Eastern Region." The cap attaching the acorn to the twig is thin and shaped like a saucer. Red oak acorns are longer, up to 1 1/8 inches, with an egg shape and a much thicker cap.

Inspect the bark of red and pin oak. Red oak has deeply fissured trunks when mature, with the bark being shades of black or brown. Pin oak bark has shallow ridges and its color is a grayish hue of brown.

NJ Tree Disease Diagnosiswww.SavATree.com

Is John Lindell your brother? Sure talks a lot. You typed all that out? :monkey:

Wonder if MDS got that Pin oak td?

Today I did five evaluations and scored a trim job for tomorrow without any cleanup. Being dumptruckless has had me knocking off small jobs I can do without the chipper and dump truck. First thing in the morning I stopped to see Matts new crane and it's awesome, can't wait to see it working.

After i got home I had time to do some work for a friend's father. A simple topping of a Pine tree so Dave (the HO) could drop it without hitting the wires that surrounded it. Once I got there I saw that it was quite dead and I had to go back for a climbing line and set pole so I could tie off in a nearby tree. By the time I got back and rigged up it was getting dark, so the video is not very good.

[video=youtube;4jPFP85N2T0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jPFP85N2T0[/video]

A shallow face cut and aggressive back cut made the safety line redundant, but I felt better about it.

You, sir, are a complete moron.

Listen, I have had a lot of fun on here over the years, and have some good friends, but this forum has degraded to the point that I cannot stand it at times. I may take up residence at tb or just give up the forum scene in total. It is embarassing being associated with this level of conversation at times.

Good luck to all of you in all that you do. That last vid sealed the deal. OD won't be talking me into coming back this time.

Cheers, :cheers:

Dave Shaw

Listen, I have had a lot of fun on here over the years, and have some good friends, but this forum has degraded to the point that I cannot stand it at times. I may take up residence at tb or just give up the forum scene in total. It is embarassing being associated with this level of conversation at times.

Good luck to all of you in all that you do. That last vid sealed the deal. OD won't be talking me into coming back this time.

Dave Shaw

That was some precision work if you ask me!!!!!!!! Must've been all of 25 feet. Dangerous work there I say!

Pin oaks are in the red oak family though right? hahahaha

Listen I am not gonna call bad names to sting , but a pin oak isn't a red oak either , its a pin oak , if there wasn't a difference then they would all be red oak .... I mean just face it your wrong .... OHHHH and TV they do all change color a healty PIN OAK will go red ... I got a question do you call a tulip tree a tulip poplar too or do you know theres a difference because that is irritating as well , I am sorry that your wrong believe me because for me it would be just easier to convince my truck tire that it is not a pin oak .... I talked to my brother today (THE ACTIVE NURSERYMAN) and we laughed for a bit he actually said that it would more common for an untrained eye (SUCH AS YOURS APPARENTLY ) to confuse a willow oak with a pin oak then a red oak woods tree .... Thanks for the giggle we appreciated it ...

arent they? arent they? lolololol:givebeer:

Sent my guys out on 2 jobs and I hit the road to my Vermeer dealership. A few weeks ago my chipper caught on fire in the strangest way. Well, they finally have a repair estimate for my BC1400XL.....$11,000....I just about fainted. I knew it was going to be bad and my insurance is going to cover it but it still hurts. I have been putting out about $1400 a week on a rental and I am about a month into the rental and I have paid for about 15% of the chipper.

I think I may have to buy the chipper I have been renting and keep it around and then maybe trade up in the spring. It is just a BC1000 but I have been looking for a second chipper for my trim crew.

Here is the story on the fire. We cut to big Silver Maples and I came out of the bucket to move the chunks so I could pull the bucket truck up to get to the third. We were flat out cranking it. I drove by the chipper a couple of times and smelled leaves burning. I thought it was a neighbor but I kept on smelling it in the same spot. Finally 2 of my guys investigated the smell and found some leaves on the motor were smoking. They cleaned the motor off and took care of the problem....seemed pretty minor......20 minutes later the chipper was blowing smoke like you would not believe....fire started in air cleaner and blew through turbo and melted everything from air filters to engine block. I wish the thing would have burned up completely now.

Sounds like the turbo seal went out and ignited leaking oil did it run like a scaulded dog before flaming up? We had a perkins runaway, the seal goes out oil gets drawn in and starts firing, the engine speeds way up and you can't shut it off either, as its running on the oil leak! That one caught fire too but it also scattered everything internally.

Last edited:

Dave Shaw

See ya Dave!, Thanks for the good time's.
Jeff :msp_smile:

Is John Lindell your brother? Sure talks a lot. You typed all that out? :monkey:

Wonder if MDS got that Pin oak td?

I'm hoping I can get a crane for Wednesday or Thursday.

Far as that one tree goes, it may be a scarlet oak, the leaves did look a bit less filled out than a typical red. I'll have to look into it for sure. Always something to learn, right!

Things have really gone mad here. I'm not complaining though, if it hadn't been for this storm, I probably wouldn't have made it through winter. It really has been that bad.

The pump on the bucket is getting fixed today. We are gonna run around with the overpriced chip truck and secure a couple jobs while we wait. Probably pull some pin oak parts off a house with it at the end of the day if things go as planned. Absolutely awesome out there now, never seen anything like this in my life, work everywhere!!

And quit yer crying... what, You gonna let lard fingers and AA's Polish water torture run ya off now?? Lmao.

Dave Shaw
Best wishes and good luck with the butt grabbers at the buzz. Go on over to Silverglades and have them make you a going away sandwich. Tell them to put it on my tab.
Phil

Dave Shaw

Good luck .... It must be hard for you to admit that your wrong and thats sad , amazing considering what you have chosen as an alternative , to go hang there and hope that they don't read any of these threads because if you think me badgering you is bad , SHHHHHHHHEEEEESHHHHHH , over there they just completely ignore there resident idiots , at least here we let ya know why your a stupid face , but anyway enough of the gay man hug fest , hopefully you don't drop any of your dolls on your way back home ....

Even the small ones can kill you ...

That was some precision work if you ask me!!!!!!!! Must've been all of 25 feet. Dangerous work there I say!

The problem wasn't the size of the tree it was it's condition. The tree was very dead and weak. I didn't want to ride the trunk down to the ground while tied to it. Putting a safety line in an adjecent healthy tree seemed like a good idea to me. What would you have done?

Sounds like the turbo seal went out and ignited leaking oil did it run like a scaulded dog before flaming up? We had a perkins runaway, the seal goes out oil gets drawn in and starts firing, the engine speeds way up and you can't shut it off either, as its running on the oil leak! That one caught fire too but it also scattered everything internally.

No leaking seal or anything like that....fire started in the air filter.....like I said...go figure!!!

The problem wasn't the size of the tree it was it's condition. The tree was very dead and weak. I didn't want to ride the trunk down to the ground while tied to it. Putting a safety line in an adjecent healthy tree seemed like a good idea to me. What would you have done?

I was busting balls. I may have put the safety line in too. Thing is, if the trunk snapped, and your lanyard is around it, you need to act fast and unhitch or your safety line is just going to guide you and the broken trunk into the safe trees trunk then you're double f'd. I own a bucket so I probably would have used it if possible. You should get some comm gear, didn't sound like you and your ground man were hearing each other ok.

Last edited:
Actually I'm quite Deaf ...

I was busting balls. I may have put the safety line in too. Thing is, if the trunk snapped, and your lanyard is around it, you need to act fast and unhitch or your safety line is just going to guide you and the broken trunk into the safe trees trunk then you're double f'd. I own a bucket so I probably would have used it if possible. You should get some comm gear, didn't sound like you and your ground man were hearing each other ok.

Notice how close I made the cut close to my flip line, and how I detached my saw from it's lanyard prior to the cut. Believe me I was ready to drop my saw and pull my flip line over the top if it didn't go well. You can see the shake in the tree with just my weight on it before I even made the cut. Matt told me how to make the narrow face cut and aggressively make the back cut to minimize the leverage as the top falls over against the trunk. He did that after seeing this fiasco:

[video=youtube;mKjL3XTrv44]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKjL3XTrv44[/video]

You have to remember to homeowner was pulling the top over for the very first time, just like Lee was operating the PortaWrap for the first time. I did't want him to get the tree swaying before the drop cut was made.

Today I am waiting for JohnBoy to show up ...

I told JohnBoy to report for work at 09:00 and it's after 10:00 and he's still not here. It's always been a problem and I've fired him five times and he walked out once for the lecture I gave him and his little brother about working hard and showing up on time. It was the day after this performance: <video redacted> Oops, I never uploaded the "Slacker" video where I videoed JohnBoy sitting in the dump truck watching his little brother struggle mightily with loading large rounds into a front end loader. That video was shown as part of a company meeting where I gave them a dressing down for their failure to become employable.

I gave up on both of them after that and left them both off my jobs for over a month. Now when I bring them in if they are late I pay them "Bozo Rate" which is $10 an hour, but only starts when they get to the job, and ends when we leave the job. Normal workers I pay $12.50 / hr from the time they show up until the time they get in their cars to leave. That plus I buy them lunch and sometimes breakfast too. I have one guy I pay $15 an hour because he is worth it, but he went back to work for Penn DOT so I only have him on the weekends. I'm working him tomorrow.

Well I hear JohnBoy boom box truck (which I bought him) so it's time to go to work.

I'm hoping I can get a crane for Wednesday or Thursday.

Far as that one tree goes, it may be a scarlet oak, the leaves did look a bit less filled out than a typical red. I'll have to look into it for sure. Always something to learn, right!

Things have really gone mad here. I'm not complaining though, if it hadn't been for this storm, I probably wouldn't have made it through winter. It really has been that bad.

The pump on the bucket is getting fixed today. We are gonna run around with the overpriced chip truck and secure a couple jobs while we wait. Probably pull some pin oak parts off a house with it at the end of the day if things go as planned. Absolutely awesome out there now, never seen anything like this in my life, work everywhere!!

And quit yer crying... what, You gonna let lard fingers and AA's Polish water torture run ya off now?? Lmao.

polish water torture.....lol!

C'mon TV, we all must suffer together!

Notice how close I made the cut close to my flip line, and how I detached my saw from it's lanyard prior to the cut. Believe me I was ready to drop my saw and pull my flip line over the top if it didn't go well. You can see the shake in the tree with just my weight on it before I even made the cut. Matt told me how to make the narrow face cut and aggressively make the back cut to minimize the leverage as the top falls over against the trunk. He did that after seeing this fiasco:

Only problem with that ,,what if the dead tree went before the top?If a tree just lets loose,there will be no guarentee you can get unlanyarded from it.

I agree with ducaticorse.If I was that worried about the tree failing,I would just have been supported by the climbline from the T.I.P. tree.

You have to remember to homeowner was pulling the top over for the very first time, just like Lee was operating the PortaWrap for the first time. I did't want him to get the tree swaying before the drop cut was made.
I understand a HO wanting to help.I have let them pull a limb off of a shrub or something.But I wouldn't let them in a situation like this.
It has to be done 100% right .Period.
Humans rarely do this on the first try.

Glad you got it down safely.

Back