whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tree MDS
Agreed, Quit my fulltime job an hour ago. For the past five years climbed five days a week with three sick days and about 3 weeks of vaca in that time. Looking forward to getting my post count in thousands, a beer gut, and an even bigger ego. I figure tree mds is about to be perma banned ,someones gotta fill his litttle shoes.

Good for you man! Self employment is great, there are days when I hardly break a sweat, and still clear $1800. :)
:cheers:

Edit: next I need a full time monkeyboy like you! Hahaha.

Last edited:
sgreanbeans

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
me too, seams that way everywhere. gonna be a muddy one tomorrow but close to 60

Its killin me, have a bunch of work, cant do it. Thought it was going to get down to 28 last night, so w set up to take off early to go to a big project that I got caught on, by the snow and warm temps. Have a bunch of money sitting there and we are almost done, but need to get the machine in to get big stuff, thought that we could get there early, while the ground is still hard and get the material out before it starts to warm...................its 48, right now.:bang::msp_cursing::angrysoapbox::angry::angry2::cry: So now we gotta switch up gear and go after a prune that I think we can get into. If it does not freeze soon, or dry up, I am going to be in trouble. I have about 20g's signed and waiting. All back yard walk out basment yards, sux. I suppose we could cut and hump, but did not bid for that, Id rather go broke from the house, then go waste money on the job.

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Its killin me, have a bunch of work, cant do it. Thought it was going to get down to 28 last night, so w set up to take off early to go to a big project that I got caught on, by the snow and warm temps. Have a bunch of money sitting there and we are almost done, but need to get the machine in to get big stuff, thought that we could get there early, while the ground is still hard and get the material out before it starts to warm...................its 48, right now.:bang::msp_cursing::angrysoapbox::angry::angry2::cry: So now we gotta switch up gear and go after a prune that I think we can get into. If it does not freeze soon, or dry up, I am going to be in trouble. I have about 20g's signed and waiting. All back yard walk out basment yards, sux. I suppose we could cut and hump, but did not bid for that, Id rather go broke from the house, then go waste money on the job.

I feel your pain. Got a couple of crane jobs where we need to drive in on the lawn, don't think alturnamats will be much good. Got a bunch of backyard removals and other work where all I can do right now is go look at them... to do anything more is foolish.

superjunior

superjunior

Addicted to ArboristSite
I donno man, sometimes I think I was happier working for someone else, a lot more freedom. I used to fish for steelhead all winter long and not worry about a thing. Those days are long gone. Stress levels off the charts, employee issues, bad weather,breakdowns, I could go on and on. But if I had to do it all over again I probably wouldn't have it any other way..

superjunior

superjunior

Addicted to ArboristSite

I feel your pain. Got a couple of crane jobs where we need to drive in on the lawn, don't think alturnamats will be much good. Got a bunch of backyard removals and other work where all I can do right now is go look at them... to do anything more is foolish.

I'm in the same boat, I think a lot of us are. Some of these yards are so wet that water would just come up and over the plywood. Really slowing us down..

sgreanbeans

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
carb?
Looks like I will be heading your way a little sooner than we thought. We are looking to next summer, when the last one gets outa school for the summer, looking to live between Pendelton and SD, some where close to the 101. If I find a place, could you maybe do a driveby to tell me if it is legit or not. Coming out this summer for a week to scope things, check the schools and so on. Think we will be OK with the schools, not to worried anymore, he will be in 10th grade and will have his Black Belt by then.

the Aerialist

the Aerialist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Bucket Truck is a crutch ...

Man this tree was tall. A young Cottonwood, one of 4 I have to remove. Looked pretty easy on the ground judging the small diameter and not many branches but when I got fully extended I was only just past half. They built the house in a woods so there were no limbs for the first 40'. Needless to say I was right on the tree, fully extended cutting out of the bucket with my powered pole pruner fully extended cutting[] above me. I was scared S***LESS. Took my time and thought everything out 4X and would look again. Everything went as planned but I will never take a small diameter tree for granted again! This tree was on a fence and 20' from house so had to be on my game. Tomorrow will be much easier, can get them from the drive and really no obstacles. Maybe I should go to climbing school, would not have been as hard to reach!

That tree is almost identical to the one I just took down last week. (see video I posted earlier in this thread) No houses to worry about but high tension wires along the road gave me reason to be very careful. Like tree MD mentioned I used the one major lead to swing the other away from the wires and road. After that I was able to drop the lead I worked from in one piece, after that about 30' of trunk.

A bucket truck from a line clearance crew had worked the tree before I got to it and took down the only limb they could reach with the bucket, leaving the rest of it well within reach of the wires they were paid to protect. Bucket Queens don't impress me.

2treeornot2tree

2treeornot2tree

Dont cry, just do it
Have a mint AA!

attachment.php

Tree Pig

Tree Pig

A.K.A. Stihl-O-Matic
That tree is almost identical to the one I just took down last week. (see video I posted earlier in this thread) No houses to worry about but high tension wires along the road gave me reason to be very careful. Like tree MD mentioned I used the one major lead to swing the other away from the wires and road. After that I was able to drop the lead I worked from in one piece, after that about 30' of trunk.

A bucket truck from a line clearance crew had worked the tree before I got to it and took down the only limb they could reach with the bucket, leaving the rest of it well within reach of the wires they were paid to protect. Bucket Queens don't impress me.

That just proves something about you

1. You are either really stupid and or have never worked out a bucket
  2. You are not in this business to make money, because a bucket increases production 10 times on the trees they can get to
  3. or you just dont have enough business were the speed of a bucket would matter

I am guessing its all three

TreeAce

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
I got a call from a guy a couple months ago looking for a job, he had worked for another tree service here. I met him this morning seemed like a nice guy and im sure hes a hard worker. I dont mind tattoos but this guy had two BIG lightning bolts on his neck they took up the whole side of his neck. I was trying not to look at it but couldnt help it. Im not quite sure what it means but have an idea. I told him i would call him by friday and let him know.

There is a pretty good chance he did some time and the bolts are a white superemist thing. I have nothing against ink but tats like that I wouldnt care to have on my job. Hey, maybe he is just a big fan of meteorology :laugh:

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite

You are wrong. This is what we've been talking about, AA. You're making comments on a subject where you have no experience. How many trees have you done from a bucket? Arboristsite isn't full of a bunch of meanies who won't let a new guy join in and play. It's full of tree men who know what bull #### smells like. And honey, your post stinks.

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was just remember that my groundy that I hired in AL had tats on his neck... He was so black that you had to really look for them to... And I highly doubt they were lightening bolts... Customers loved him because he busted ass the whole time he was on the job.

We stopped by a store one afternoon and a whole crew from another tree service was at the gas station. They all bailed out of reasonably nice bucket and log trucks. I pointed one out to my groundy and told him that is the climber, the little guy with the tats. My groundy said you can tell that just by looking at him? I said yeah, he's the one with the craziest eyes and looks like an ex con... And he's wearing Weso climbing boots. :hmm3grin2orange:

TreeAce

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm in the same boat, I think a lot of us are. Some of these yards are so wet that water would just come up and over the plywood. Really slowing us down..

I am going to look at a few jobs today and check how wet they are. I am hoping to get in by the end of the week on a few. Got one to bid as well. I heard some saws buzzing yesterday so I went nosing around. Both jobs where being done in the front yard along the driveway. One company had a crane and didnt even need to touch the grass. I was jealous for a minute then just figured f it. Sometimes I gotta remember that its not like I dont get mine. My little piece of the pie is there.......

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
There is a pretty good chance he did some time and the bolts are a white superemist thing. I have nothing against ink but tats like that I wouldnt care to have on my job. Hey, maybe he is just a big fan of meteorology :laugh:

Keep in mind a lot of people who get tats don't have a clue what they mean. They pick something out of a book at a parlor. I designed the one on my stomach and my artist had a picture of it in his book to show off his work at a local convention. I'm standing right there having a beer with him and some dumb ##### walks up, points to it, and tells the dope with her that she wants "one of them". :dizzy:

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Back up at the lake working today. That is if I don't get rained out. Basically a lot clearing project. I'm clearing an area and drive so the guy to pull his 36' cruiser into an add on to his shop which will be like a pole barn structure to cover the boat. A buddy of mine is building the addition. Got to look at another large removal and meet with a realtor about a few of her properties. Gonna be a busy week. I better get moving...

Latest posts