whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treevet

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thu (as far back as I can remember....shut up Lovey) we worked in the thick woods way back off the road and found 2 other tree services working in properties contiguous to ours. One was a 5 man crew and a big fat guy pulling up the climber. The other was a 4 man crew also taking trees down and spiking all the way up.

We show up and they are all watching me by myself (gm at dump) shooting a beanie up a tall maple removal over the house. Other climbers are still humping up. I am taking my time setting up my wraptor. I head up and stop at every branch and either drop it or send it down off my climbing line crotched above my head. The gm is back and detaching them.

I get to the top and butt hitch the top and he lowers it down and presto we got a stripped pole. I turn around and they are still heading up their trees and they and their crews keep staring at the old man in the top. Chunked and butthitched into a block and slammed the stick. Did a second one the same. They are humping brush up a ravine and we are going down hill. They humping wood up hill and we dingoing down into a truck below a stone wall.

Next day we are working between 2 huge Victorian homes in a tight drive taking over 10 inch dia deadwood out of the over 100 foot top of 4 foot diameter Red oak that is over one roof and all over a model train set that runs all over the yard including a miniature pond and bridges and mini buildings etc etc. No damage but it was tense esp the very top I had to climb outta the bucket and toss the tops away from the RR.

Saturday we loaded up some firewood (believe it or not) 95 degrees 95 humidity and delivered the cord. We looked at a couple of jobs and then said the hehll with it.

Diary of a madman :)

jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
. AS Supporting Member.
Thu (as far back as I can remember....shut up Lovey) we worked in the thick woods way back off the road and found 2 other tree services working in properties contiguous to ours. One was a 5 man crew and a big fat guy pulling up the climber. The other was a 4 man crew also taking trees down and spiking all the way up.

We show up and they are all watching me by myself (gm at dump) shooting a beanie up a tall maple removal over the house. Other climbers are still humping up. I am taking my time setting up my wraptor. I head up and stop at every branch and either drop it or send it down off my climbing line crotched above my head. The gm is back and detaching them.

I get to the top and butt hitch the top and he lowers it down and presto we got a stripped pole. I turn around and they are still heading up their trees and they and their crews keep staring at the old man in the top. Chunked and butthitched into a block and slammed the stick. Did a second one the same. They are humping brush up a ravine and we are going down hill. They humping wood up hill and we dingoing down into a truck below a stone wall.

Next day we are working between 2 huge Victorian homes in a tight drive taking over 10 inch dia deadwood out of the over 100 foot top of 4 foot diameter Red oak that is over one roof and all over a model train set that runs all over the yard including a miniature pond and bridges and mini buildings etc etc. No damage but it was tense esp the very top I had to climb outta the bucket and toss the tops away from the RR.

Saturday we loaded up some firewood (believe it or not) 95 degrees 95 humidity and delivered the cord. We looked at a couple of jobs and then said the hehll with it.

Diary of a madman :)

My heart strings are pullin!
Jeff (Lovey) :)

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Got down to bidness with the new cummins. Should have her bolted up tomorrow. Waiting on some belts and hoses from Bandit and pilot bearing for the clutch being rebuilt. Should have everything rolling Wednesday at the latest. Anyone know the break in procedure for a 4BT 3.9 liter?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57

Addicted to ArboristSite
Took down 4 trees.. not much to them for real effort. But was work none the less and can't complain about $1,500 I guess. One oak, one poplar, one birch and an elm (all in front yard). New owner taking down pretty much everything, left a maple and blue spruce. Oh and that does not count the putting new battery in dump trailer, filling up hyd fluid - fitting got loose and dropped a bit of oil. Chaning hyd oil and filter in chipper. Then got about 2 hours of invoicing done.. working on getting ArborGold set up and all data input.. just learning it so a bit slower than the old way for now.

Got some bidding tomorrow, and stump grinding for most of Wednesday - oh and gotta put new teeth on grinder hopefully before then.

Last edited:
treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
Break in procedure? Yes. Pack the bearings with hummous and fill the crankcase with babaganouj. Run it at 2grand for twenty minutes then open up a bag of pita bread and dig in.
No really, ask the guys who you got it from but generally run it 2 grand for 20 minutes is par for most motors.

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Break in procedure? Yes. Pack the bearings with hummous and fill the crankcase with babaganouj. Run it at 2grand for twenty minutes then open up a bag of pita bread and dig in.
No really, ask the guys who you got it from but generally run it 2 grand for 20 minutes is par for most motors.

I forgot to ask the boys up at the shop when we took our core back to Syracuse today. Trailered it behind my 4runner. Didn't do to bad for that little 4 banger. My google search turned up a lot of confusing answers so I emailed the rep about the break in procedure. We'll see what she comes up with. The one site I found recommended running at 75% throttle for about 3 hours under load. Not entirely sure how we'll pull that off but I can try at least. I mainly don't want to do anything that might void the warranty.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky

I alway run them like I stole em lol. Naw I run them long enough to check leaks,belts,thermastat etc. then just work them like I do everything else.

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
I alway run them like I stole em lol.

lol. Oddly enough a lot of guys were recommending this method. Granted they were talking about truck diesels but they said after a swap, load it up and head for the hills. Seemed strange to me. The common theme from most people seemed to be don't run it if it's not under load.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
lol. Oddly enough a lot of guys were recommending this method. Granted they were talking about truck diesels but they said after a swap, load it up and head for the hills. Seemed strange to me. The common theme from most people seemed to be don't run it if it's not under load.

Professionally built motors of today really don't have to be babied we have came some distance from soft valve seat days. I always do the obvious checks leaks,oil pressure,temperature etc. Then I just put them to work and keep checking for bugs then maintained afterward. If the machine shop did his job the valves and rings are seated very shortly upon start-up imho.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
Important stuff Blakes: Get ahold of those people who you got that motor from and ask for specifications about the break in. Grab a work order and put todays date on it, write: fill crankcase with proper oil ( and write what that proper oil is and how much), write all that sort of stuff down on a work order and date it. The more words the better.
Write about how you changed all the filters and made sure everything was golden. Write down how you went with the manufactuers recomended break in proceedure, write down how you made sure clutch/ belt tension is within specification ( that's a big one). Write it good like: Installed drive belts, checked for proper tension, proper tension is so and so.
Think about how they may catch you on warranty cause if they need to they will.
I would say if you head down to the parts house( pep boys should have something) they would have a book on Cummins engines, for 20 bucks you should buy it for reference to the things I mentioned.
When my chipper was still under warranty I used the oil they said to use.

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Important stuff Blakes: Get ahold of those people who you got that motor from and ask for specifications about the break in. Grab a work order and put todays date on it, write: fill crankcase with proper oil ( and write what that proper oil is and how much), write all that sort of stuff down on a work order and date it. The more words the better.
Write about how you changed all the filters and made sure everything was golden. Write down how you went with the manufactuers recomended break in proceedure, write down how you made sure clutch/ belt tension is within specification ( that's a big one). Write it good like: Installed drive belts, checked for proper tension, proper tension is so and so.
Think about how they may catch you on warranty cause if they need to they will.
I would say if you head down to the parts house( pep boys should have something) they would have a book on Cummins engines, for 20 bucks you should buy it for reference to the things I mentioned.
When my chipper was still under warranty I used the oil they said to use.

Thanks bud. The block came with oil and filters already on it from the shop's test run so I shouldn't have to worry much about that. I gotta go over the warranty paperwork tomorrow and see if anything pops out. I'm still waiting on new hoses and belts to arrive so I'll have some time to sort it all out. I've already got a file started on this project so adding a few more pieces of paper documenting my work shouldn't be an issue. I took pics of the process as well as our machine's current hours so that should help if something goes wrong. Thanks for the advice.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
Thanks bud. The block came with oil and filters already on it from the shop's test run so I shouldn't have to worry much about that. I gotta go over the warranty paperwork tomorrow and see if anything pops out. I'm still waiting on new hoses and belts to arrive so I'll have some time to sort it all out. I've already got a file started on this project so adding a few more pieces of paper documenting my work shouldn't be an issue. I took pics of the process as well as our machine's current hours so that should help if something goes wrong. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah it looks like you got the works with that motor. New injection pump? Wowsers! They probably want that oil changed in 100 hours.

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yeah it looks like you got the works with that motor. New injection pump? Wowsers! They probably want that oil changed in 100 hours.

It was set up pretty good. I got the shaft on the one I originally ordered which was supposed to come with starter, alternator and bell housing, not to mention I could keep the core for only a grand more than this unit, which is why I ordered that one. Turns out the factory stopped making it so this was the next best option. I could have got a short block locally for about $800 less than this engine but I figured I'd spend the extra dough and forget the headaches of injectors and the like. I think I did all right at about $6200 once I get my check back for the core. As that chipper sits though, I have an almost new machine for a total of 16K invested. Yeah, I couldn't sell it for that, so I'm married to it but I shouldn't need anything bigger for a few years at least.