whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Mr. H , needs to be but heavy and higher TIP if possible.

should of cut from left to right not starting at his chest and cutting to back of trunk...didnt look like crane Op was at fault here, just saying..

The op is definitely partially at fault here. He pulled before Kevin had finished his cut. Kevin could have also had better position and made a better cut.

I am new to crane removals as well so that is why I posted the vid.

We have been doing snap cuts every time. Is it better to just cut straight through?

We slammed 4k worth of cottonwoods yesterday with the crane. I like my crane op. He has a lot of experience (has removed over 1500 trees) and he is always willing to max out his crane which is nice. However he can be a bit cocky and this time a little overzealous. I had him booked for five hours yesterday, we ended up slamming out the trees in 3.5 flat. Chipped and loaded.... very nice. I split the difference and paid him 4 and a quarter.

Anyways the job went completely smooth except for this mishap. Crane op got a little over zealous and pulled before my climber (Kevin) finished the cut. It could have ended badly.

[video=youtube;XBlqc3OVo8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBlqc3OVo8k&feature=youtu.be[/video]

He spooled up with an incomplete cut, if it would have been cut clean it wouldn't have looked so violent or came off like a rocket ship. I choke #### half way a lot when I'm feelin lazy and let it tip but it's a real slow tip you gotta cut it slow and get it completely cut before the spool up. A lot of times guys think the have the pick loose and Thier are some small spots of holding wood left and it will pop off. Nothing major tho practice makes perfect right?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ohlexm

yeah... I just watched the vid again. He had absolutely terrible positioning. But the crane op should not have been putting that much tension on that piece. The video was taken from the perspective of the crane op, he could see what was going on.

ya a pic like that only needs 800-1k of pre tension

check out this video patriot tree was about 15 foot taller than the boom so 80-85 feet give or take. but i was feelin lazy and didn't feel like working the top out so you'll see how i handled that.

Knuckle boom pine tree picking.m4v - YouTube

Have you taken a picture or made any videos of your large Knuckle boom? I really want to see this thing in action.

Man, you PA guys have all the fun. The climber in that vid is from PA.

That is a nice setup Matt. When you were picking those tops were you controlling the crane yourself?

That is a nice setup Matt. When you were picking those tops were you controlling the crane yourself?

Ya i always run it. booms are touchy with the remote control you really gotta have finess with the levers. if you look at the end of the boom i could have pulled out another 8 feet that next attachment point is the manual extension

Last edited:
Have you taken a picture or made any videos of your large Knuckle boom? I really want to see this thing in action.

really don't wanna do it tho but since your an alright guy game on. any video like that i upload is manly to help the builder jack since he's just that nice of a guy.

im gonna make one for him tomorrow of it with a bucket on their.

keep working at it your on the right path to having the same kind of fun. not to many guys are doing what your doing and theirs a lot of bs. if your boy would have cut that pic slow from left to right and just eased it off it would have rolled over nice and easy and looked like a pro. but since it popped off you'll catch flak. it happens to everyone tho sooner or later. being aware of it is what keeps you alive.

I've had them come off way worse than that in the early years with bad crane ops. i tell them what to set the pretension at now i don't like them guessing.

marquise whats your email? when its done ill email you a link and patriot if you want to. id prefer if you didn't post it here after your done watching it.

Last edited:
The op is definitely partially at fault here. He pulled before Kevin had finished his cut. Kevin could have also had better position and made a better cut.

We have been doing snap cuts every time. Is it better to just cut straight through?

Dodged a bullet on that one. Bad positioning of the strap, bad climber position and too much winch.

Cranes make tree work a lot easier/productive, but it's not really any safer. You need to know what you are doing or someone will be injured.

Cut your picks straight through. Start on the side where the strap is hooked through. If the saw pinches or gets stalled, the crane op can pick up a little and you can finish the cut. Take it easy and watch some videos of proper crane work. Tree work is the hardest crane work you can do, loads weights aren't exact and the loads are dynamic, most ops are used to knowing what stuff weighs and they are static.

yeah... I just watched the vid again. He had absolutely terrible positioning. But the crane op should not have been putting that much tension on that piece. The video was taken from the perspective of the crane op, he could see what was going on.

Take a medium sized first pick to get a general weight to work off of, this is what i do. so lets say its 1200. then you know where your at. if you got 4k capacity turn it up a bit. you seem to be working in a lot of cotton woods. I've picked some seriously heavy trunks that where only ten feet, but full of water. tree was beside a creek and the trunk piece weighed in at 8k.

i measure while I'm walking down the tree ill do lets say 10 big steps down and cut. if i need more ill do twelve and so on. whenever i bring in a bigger crane 40 ton or more i usually am picking far out where they have a two stage out and i don't have a whole lot of capacity to work with maybe 4-5k. the hardest one was a 25 ton with a two stage 155 foot super low capacity with the jib all the way out.

almost forgot i usually don't let the opp cable up while I'm standing face to face with the cut i spike down. so it can do its thing if a spider leg comes loose or anything.

Last edited:
For those picks they were at about 80 feet and it was a 40 ton crane. We picked a 4500lb section out with the last cut.

ya 60-70% of my weight guess is what i shoot for in pretension so like 3500 on a 4500 maybe a little more. i just read it as i go watch the cut and see what its doing.

Some updated pics of my BFF

473d396e-452a-3157.jpg
473d396e-4538-1953.jpg

We slammed 4k worth of cottonwoods yesterday with the crane. I like my crane op. He has a lot of experience (has removed over 1500 trees) and he is always willing to max out his crane which is nice. However he can be a bit cocky and this time a little overzealous. I had him booked for five hours yesterday, we ended up slamming out the trees in 3.5 flat. Chipped and loaded.... very nice. I split the difference and paid him 4 and a quarter.

Anyways the job went completely smooth except for this mishap. Crane op got a little over zealous and pulled before my climber (Kevin) finished the cut. It could have ended badly.

[video=youtube;XBlqc3OVo8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBlqc3OVo8k&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Boy, he would've been out cold there....broken neck at least. Bad cutting, slinging, positioning....and then switches off while he's trying to free up the chain, right in the kill zone. I couldn't blame the op for that, he's not the tree-expert after all. Get your slinging wrong with a step-cut and it'll pop in the blink of an eye. Did you play the vid back to him Patriot?

I didn't see any outriggers.

they are there trust me. that thing would have been on its side 5x over. they might have been short jacked can't remember but we where not lifting that much weight. under 3k. it was just me and one ground guy on a saturday. it was actually raining in some of that video you can hear the water hitting of my lid.

Last edited:

Its better to cut straight through, ezz up at the end of cut.

PTC, you do good work, not coming down on you, this is a good discussion, helps make our job safer

Its better to cut straight through, ezz up at the end of cut.

PTC, you do good work, not coming down on you, this is a good discussion, helps make our job safer

welp i gotta get back to training this coon to set my rope in the tree so i don't have to carry the big shot anymore. gotta try and talk sherrill and the other tree equip companies into carrying my specially trained rope setting raccoons.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back