whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started a restoration of a severely lion tailed ash. Man some of these guys just around here just suck. They told me who did it and it did not surprise me. They are CA's, but really suck at tree work. More proof to the need of prac app on the test. They did this one about 3 years ago, going to take at least 2-3 more prunes to get it back. Had good epi's tho, so I think I have it going in the right direction. Blasted my elbow while using the hand saw last week, had a build up of fluid, like a golf ball. Went to doc, he said leave it, don't drain it, PROTECT IT. So yesterday while working on this ash. I nail it again. FCKN OUCH! Shot pain up my arm. Hurt so bad I hardly slept last night. Looked at it, fluid it gone? Ummmmm, where did it go? And now it really hurts! Removing a decent sized spruce today, open yard next to street, no over head wires, should rock it out PDQ.........I hope. I now have 4 complete paintball guns sets with all the gear. Ready to get back in and turn my woods out back into my private course. Stay safe and look up.

Last edited:
Started a restoration of a severely lion tailed ash. Man some of these guys just around here just suck. They told me who did it and it did not surprise me. They are CA's, but really suck at tree work. More proof to the need of prac app on the test. They did this one about 3 years ago, going to take at least 2-3 more prunes to get it back. Had good epi's tho, so I think I have it going in the right direction. Blasted my elbow while using the hand saw last week, had a build up of fluid, like a golf ball. Went to doc, he said leave it, don't drain it, PROTECT IT. So yesterday while working on this ash. I nail it again. FCKN OUCH! Shot pain up my arm. Hurt so bad I hardly slept last night. Looked at it, fluid it gone? Ummmmm, where did it go? And now it really hurts! Removing a decent sized spruce today, open yard next to street, no over head wires, should rock it out PDQ.........I hope. I now have 4 complete paintball guns sets with all the gear. Ready to get back in and turn my woods out back into my private course. Stay safe and look up.

interesting i bet that would be fun in them iowa woods :hmm3grin2orange:
Ah o lol i will pay for that lol

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/c...hantel71090800004/5357804-iowa-corn-field.jpg

Couple of jobs from the past week or so"

Wind damaged oak, no equipment access. Wood stayed where it fell, brush got dragged to where the grapple could grab it. Took my crane monkey and myself 4 hours, lots of rigging:
tops01.jpg

tops04.jpg

Finished that job, grabbed the crane and bucket for this lightning struck pine down the street from our yard. It was in the woods, but near enough to threaten 3 backyards:
pine.jpg

Wednesday we did a decent sized linden, about 6 feet from the house, had to go over sleeved primaries, used the street as a drop zone:

marblehoodlinden.jpg

marblehoodbutt.jpg

Friday was the easy day. 6 norway maples, awesome views at lunchtime:
manch03.jpg

manch01.jpg

Don't know bout you guys but that house is in " move in condition" for me.
( I am talking about the house that don't have a roof)

I had to go in and find a poor lady who had passed away and laid rotting on the floor of her 3rd floor multifamily with all the windows shut for over two weeks during an August heat wave once. The neighbors didnt call when they had not seen her for two weeks. They didnt call when it started to smell funny either. They also didnt call when the stain started to appear from the ceiling above theirs (her apartment). But thank god they were nice enough to let us know when the maggots started to do The Riverdance on the ceiling... But I didnt do tree work for her... Does that count?

Still, tree work got that beat.

So we go take out a medium sized maple for this nice old guy that had us at his property two or three times before. Told us don't worry do it whenever you want. So we swing by knock it down and out, the neighbor was there talking to us the entire time even ended up doing some stuff for him at the same time. To make a long story short turns out he was dead in the house with no family close so no one picked up on it. Any of you guys ever run into one of these?

No, but it wouldn't be the first time I wonder if they would die before they payed me.

screw the timberwolf its not worth it ill sell you mine. we like the super splitter alot better. i got a tw-5 with the lift and the works ill sell you. every one uses the super splitter and its way less $.

take a good look at it before you do the wolf, but it also depends on what your splitting if you cant lift it you might be right about the timer wolf. the log loader is nice but they are still hydralic depenent.

i got the super splitter for right over 2g's and its electric. so bad ass not to have to listen to that thing all day while splitting. its split everything i have ever tried to.

ill take pics of the tw-5 and figure out a price if yours doesnt work out mine was kept inside and will give you a good price on it. it has the paint still on the adjustable four way wedge.

i think it was like 8k new, or tade me your mini then use the money to get another one.

your pm box is full. Pm me a price on the splitter. I am looking for one.

Was going to go out and do stumps today, then I checked the weather, hi of 95 heat index over 100, no wind. NOT! Got some running to do, think today will be a good day for that, low 80's starting on Saturday, for the next ten days, will get after it then. As for now.....heeeeeelloooo air conditioning.

That is a big tree! 13'8"! We actually do have woods,lol. I wonder if anyone has done a search on the largest cornstalk in Iowa,lol.

I can see it now

"It's 15ft tall and is 1'3" circ, this is the champion specimen of sweet corn"

Lol you know i'm just giving you hard time it's just going through there from one end to the other several times it seems like that's all you see :) Well now I would be lookin for antlers lol so may stay awake !

Lol you know i'm just giving you hard time it's just going through there from one end to the other several times it seems like that's all you see :) Well now I would be lookin for antlers lol so may stay awake !

There are alot of corn and bean fields here. Where I live in western Iowa it is pretty hilly and some nice bluffs on the Missouri river.

So, I finally got the check from the state job I did at the local college a few months back. I was subcontracted by a company out of Connecticut. The check showed up this morning but for some reason was $275 short. On the stub they wrote "held retention". Any of you guys have an idea what that means? I can't exactly call their office till Monday to find out what's up. It's not that it is a large amount in comparison to the rest of the job just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else on these state jobs as this is my first one. I do have another job in the works with them but no signed contract or go ahead yet as I told them I wouldn't start it till I got paid for the last one. Any thoughts?

They are probably holding retainage for the overall contract. Not sure who you got the check from, which would explain more. The GC on the job submits an invoice to owner and it is typical that a percentage is held in retainage. Who paid you?

There are alot of corn and bean fields here. Where I live in western Iowa it is pretty hilly and some nice bluffs on the Missouri river.
For sure on the eastern side, nuttin but corn and beans, bout this time of year, right before harvest, this place is busy.
This year, not so much. Gotta lot of friends who have been pretty successful farmers, but are taking a BRUTAL beating this year. We did a job a few weeks ago, out on a rural farm, looked around when in the air, looked apocalyptic. Scorched earth type a thing.

Going out today to dump one for our city administrator. Has a locust getting dwarfed buy a monster silver maple, bet the stump on this thing is 20ft in dia, DBH is maybe 7ft. Locust should take about 30-45 min to get on the ground, then back inside! Have never been so ready for winter. You can always add clothing, but you only can take off so much. Think if I was running around butt naked with chaps and a hard hart, someone would get the wrong idea. Heat index over 100 again today :\

Last edited:
Taking today off from dealing with my latest batch of unemployable retards. I'm working on setting the weekend up with some real help. The one actually seems to be trying, but it's just not enough to counter the aggravation. It's all good though. Welcome to the tree service baby!! hahaha.

Oh God.. I feel like my soul is a hundred centuries old. Times like this I almost feel like climbing up a tree somewhere (away from anyone) and pruning it for free. Strange days indeed.

Back