whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said in earlier post....all day Sat. 17 man hours, pulling English ivy off this old home and Montessouri School. A reg client for tree work we couldn't get out of it, but no bid. The owner, a lawyer had tried to do it himself and fell off the ladder 2 times into the bushes below. His wife insisted we do it so "he didn;t have to get that big ladder out again lol.

Kyle had just cleaned the east side and I had finished the unseen west side. His side had dead vines the ho had killed earlier and my side were all alive. Pliars, prying tools, scraper, wrecker bar, wire brush etc all were no match as scraped knuckles were most the result. The live ones grab like crazy glue and they are all interwoven so if you pull just one it breaks off at the cross piece. :censored:

Sounds like a PITA. When we do PITA I tell the guys its not that bad it could be worse. Then we start talking about past PITA jobs and glad we are done with those. The only thing you can do is keep plucking away at it and have fun with it!

Yeah Jeff, 80$ per man hour. Could charge more but they are regulars. They got a forest behind the house with a 300 year old oak and the kids play area running through it I maintained for decades.

Couldn't do it any other way than per man hour, as I had absolutely no idea how this stuff was gonna come off. Knew the east side would be pretty easy being dead but also knew the rest would be torture but thought maybe being on brick rather than wood siding might be easier....wrong. We still have some clean up on ground on Mon. but got the buckets out before school starts then with people walking in with their kids.

Thats a job where ya turn on the ipod and go to work we did one a few years ago over in Woodbury and your right no tools just bloody knuckles and a lot of time but 80 per hr. per man isn't too bad ...

We were going to take out a maple yesterday, HO is getting new garage. I call to tell them we are on our way, HO tells me that the garage contractor is there, already demoed old garage and has formed the pad for new one, they are getting ready to poor concrete. WTF? I ask! I was scheduled, they were not to start for a few weeks, she says they just showed and started working. So then I scramble to see what I can fill in for the day, nothing made any sense to go do, as all I have is bigger projects at the moment. Days like that are when I appreciate the little 3-400 jobs, good for filling in the spots. So we stayed in, guys split wood all mourning, then I put them in the skid steer and had them get some time with the grapple. Man it was a nice day tho! Had them rip out the garden and we are digging the soil out, down about 4 ft, replace with good soil for the garden, we have nothing but rocks,asphalt and sand, the city filled our yard with the old street back in the day. Doing 2 ash removals today, gunna have the padawan do them, one bucket, one climber.

One of my clients had a small cable job he wanted me to spend some OJT time with his trainee climber, since it was only ~3 hrs he had a modest trim/clearance job lined up for on my way home; though it was like 20 miles from the first job (Holy Hill down to old 'Tosa for those who care.) Guy called ahead to tell the HO he would be there around noonish, and HO said remember to take the limb we talked about...get there and the job is done, 'cept for all the debris laying around the yard... Mrs. is all confused, Guy is confused...turns out the HO thought he was the company that sent the Hispanic crew out three days ago to trim and pile...they had yet to come back and do the clean-up...:rolleyes: So Guy had to drive back to his Sussex shop, whith his twoman crew. (I felled sorry enough that I did not try to stick him with my minimum $200)

Past two days we've been clearing a section of bluff for a mansion on The Lake. Most cases we can leave the debris perpendicular to the slope, to help reduce erosion; these HO's would have nothing to do with it, my client is using his Vermeer stand-behind to forward everything upslope (tried to get a crane, but access was denied for it by the village.)

The slope is around 60*, so I had to tie in on a single line and work it like a scaler. Everytime I tried to work without it I was way unstable, like the 4 inch leaner that hung, flipped and gave me 3 stitches in the kisser.

They have a neat little stairway/deck/beach-shed that zigs its way down the slope. That made the few big climbers fun, boxelders that did noting but splay out over the structures. The groundies had to hump most of that stuff up the 90-120 ft of stairs. So far everything has chipped and we have made 25-30cuft of it.

Another fun aspect of it is that the entire bluff area is made of dirty fill, so there is concrete, asphalt and gravel everywhere...ya know how box elder gets bark inclusions around in the basal palisade and grit includes with the bark??? I forget how many chains I have gone through so far. And they want the stumps down "as far as we can get them"...so we will have to make a final trip over at the end, because forwarding is wasting a lot of the soil away.

There was some miscommunication with my client's partner/wife and the HO, so I will have to compete with a local hack on the stump-kill portion of the work. Bid wanted ASAP :laugh: I tried and tried to talk them out of fall herbiside, because we were not applying withing the 20min window...but they want fall and spring applications......"I fell like I'm wasting your money, but if that is what you want...."

dropped the biggest poplar tree i've ever seen today, 42" in dia. at the base.... to bad it looked like the keebler elves set up shop in it. only ended up bucking four logs outa the whole tree.....
the last pic is of my truck, i finally got some one to take a pic of me puffin a lil smoke leavin the site today:rock:

dropped the biggest poplar tree i've ever seen today, 42" in dia. at the base.... to bad it looked like the keebler elves set up shop in it. only ended up bucking four logs outa the whole tree.....
the last pic is of my truck, i finally got some one to take a pic of me puffin a lil smoke leavin the site today:rock:

Love that truck pic smokin it up, just to jazz the EPA a bit.

Love that truck pic smokin it up, just to jazz the EPA a bit.

ahh, epa is non exsistant around here,and if they ever gave me a ticket i'd put it in the stacks and smoke it! lol. i'll try and get some more pics thats just a lil puff compared to when i'm draggin it.

Like I said in earlier post....all day Sat. 17 man hours, pulling English ivy off this old home and Montessouri School. A reg client for tree work we couldn't get out of it, but no bid. The owner, a lawyer had tried to do it himself and fell off the ladder 2 times into the bushes below. His wife insisted we do it so "he didn;t have to get that big ladder out again lol.

Kyle had just cleaned the east side and I had finished the unseen west side. His side had dead vines the ho had killed earlier and my side were all alive. Pliars, prying tools, scraper, wrecker bar, wire brush etc all were no match as scraped knuckles were most the result. The live ones grab like crazy glue and they are all interwoven so if you pull just one it breaks off at the cross piece. :censored:

I did the ultra mini version of that a while back, on a newly refurbished, old bar, when we started pulling it off, the old mortar was coming with it. I told the Bar owner, he said go ahead, they where going to have to re-tuck point it any way, so we continued, pulling it of with little chunks of concrete attached, made it pretty easy tho!

Another fun aspect of it is that the entire bluff area is made of dirty fill, so there is concrete, asphalt and gravel everywhere..."

That's my back yard too! I have been digging out the garden and keep finding massive chunks of crap,didn't realize how much they put in there. Concrete, asphalt, re-bar. Not the greatest soil for a garden. Bringing in some of the Iowan gold off a field! Should make things much better for next year, now I will just have to keep my F-I-L from over dosing the plants with sevin dust.
JPS, will blood meal mixed in with the soil help with the Jap beetles?

Has any one checked out Google plus, new face book deal, guess Mark Zuckerberg is involved. Its pretty different, but so far pretty cool. I am on there, Scott Swearinger, shek it out. Dont put ur bizness on dare, they be blockin dem right now, will have the business stuff up later

Went and looked at this log truck

Here we go again. Trying to decide whether or not a stand alone log truck is worth having at this time. I have been able to do pretty good with my little cat and F600 dump truck thus far, and with the addition of the 1890HD end of the month I'll be able to chew up most of the stuff I deal with. This particular unit is priced way too high in my opinion, ($16500 455K Detroit V8, fresh service, newer tires drives good) but it's in decent shape. Needs a little bit of tlc to be nice. It's about 3K a year to insure plus the $20 per thousand lb GVRW reg fee every year, it's a 58K truck I believe.

I was thinking of doing log pick ups for 1-ton and WC tree services in my area during the times I don't need it on my jobs. The guys doing it now get anywhere from 200-400 a pick up. And are usually a few days out schedule wise.

Last edited:
Here we go again. Trying to decide weather or not a stand alone log truck is worth having at this time. I have been able to do pretty good with my little cat and F600 dump truck thus far, and with the addition of the 1890HD end of the month I'll be able to chew up most of the stuff I deal with. This particular unit is priced way too high in my opinion, ($16500 455K Detroit V8, fresh service, newer tires drives good) but it's in decent shape. Needs a little bit of tlc to be nice. It's about 3K a year to insure plus the $20 per thousand lb GVRW reg fee every year, it's a 58K truck I believe.

I was thinking of doing log pick ups for 1-ton and WC tree services in my area during the times I don't need it on my jobs. The guys doing it now get anywhere from 200-400 a pick up. And are usually a few days out schedule wise.

For what its worth, I have a 78' F7000 with a very strong 429. Runs and operates very good, but sits, day after day. I don't sell it because I think that it will be needed if EAB hits hard. But other than that, it sits. Between my dump trailer and F-350 Dump truck, I get the materiel out pretty easy

Back