whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just imagine how much more my customers are willing to pay for the premiere service I provide for them by caring as much about their lawns as they do.

BUT....shouldn't their be some negative factor figured in there for you not givin a flyin fk bout their trees "as they don't"

by gougin the shet outta them with your feet while you fumble about in them creating all kinds of latent problems ?

premier vacuuming service......tree service from hell :help:

Spent all weekend playing at the new place. Doesn't pay as well, but things are starting to look like someone with some sense lives there.

Brought down a big house wrecking blue ash yesterday, mostly dead with mass root decay. It had its sights set on making the two story an old story, so it had to go. It won't die in vain though, I'll recycle it in the fireplace, or the stove I'm puttin in the shop.

Work is still pouring in, I need to take a break and run some estimates out this week and hope the weather behaves. I hear we are in for a nasty winter thanks to la nina. I think I'm going to take a winter gig with a buddy who works at a high tech fab shop and refine the weldor in me. It comes with the understanding that my biz comes first. I hear it's quite the operation and I'll get plenty of trigger time with a couple of cranes. I plan on building a grapple bucket for my friend's massey as a gift. Yeah, it serves me too, but he's going to need it for all the wood I'll be dumping on him in the years to come. We are ordering a 25 ton speeco with a honda this week, so we can bust it all up. He's getting too old to do it by hand.

Plenty of stump work left, but can't say I'll get to them all this year, too many people all of the sudden want tree work done before winter.

Just imagine how much more my customers are willing to pay for the premiere service I provide for them by caring as much about their lawns as they do.

My imagination is curled up on the floor, I can't tell if its laughing or crying but its now pretty disturbed and probably won't ever be the same again. The last time this happened was when I saw two dogs stuck together ass to ass. Somethings you never believe could or would ever happen... then they do! I guess premiere is a good choice of words.

Last edited:
I spent the morning doing pro bono buckthorn removal in one of our city parks. There were supposed to be a bunch of people there, but it ended up being me an one other guy.

Raj had volunteered, but ate some bad pizza on Saturday (probably all the PBR he had with it) so he did not make it either.

buckthorn5comp.jpg

They had to take the pic when I was only dragging two twigs to the pile :laugh:

I agree, how come we workin on a Sun?

Man, it was for a family member. I'd much rather have been fishing. He told me that it was not for free and that he "knows what each tree I worked on costs to take down and trim" so we'll see what the pay is like this week. I would have done it for free but now I'm interested how much he knows about bidding tree work. Good guy none the less.

One of the trees was a large white oak in serious decline about 8 feet from the new home he built about 2 years ago. The crown was in very bad shape with LOTS of dead wood. A bucket would have made that one easier. Long story short, wind was blowing like a mofo and it just did not feel right. I tied it off and notched it slammed some wedges in the back cut and she fell absoluetly perfect. It was basically threading a needle and it could not have turned out better. I should have gotten a pic bc I know you guys and this type of stuff does not happen if there is no pic.:msp_biggrin: Fun day.

what ja buy?

Nothing too special. 600 foot reel of 9/16ths and a 200 foot hank of 3/4 stable braid. My ropes have been in need of retirement for a couple months. A silky long boy and some rope bags. Coolest thing is a pair of Geckos...finally. I've used MDS's a couple times and every time I do I think about how stupid I am for not buying a pair sooner, can't wait for them to arrive.

Took down 2 ashes and a maple today. Was just gonna nose up to the first ( and biggest ) one when Eric suggested we start at the last one and work our way back which made sense. Laid the plywood down to where I could just reach the last one and realized I could hit all 3 from that spot. Had to rig with poles for the tops but it was worth it not to have to setup more than once. Customer gave us soda, brownies, and a chocolate bar each for lunch. Gotta love that ####!

attachment.php

After seeing this video I tried a knotless removal on an Ash Saturday. What a difference! The groundies couldn't keep up with it!

Is that a bowline you are tying to the carabiner?

A bowline would be better. I use an overhand on a bight which can get tight. I would also recommend using steel crabs.

No matter how fast you can tie a bowline, you can't tie it until the rope gets back to you. Where you can choke the slings while the previous limb is still on it's way down.

pics of the boys screw up on the maple last week.....

look at the stumpage pic, its pathetic

my dads a tv repair man, he's got an awesome set of tools do you want to borrow them to fix the boat?
:msp_unsure:

so we roll up to the next tree there is a jack of all trades co.(landscaping trees fences concrete work...said so right on the door) taking down some (think they were siderian elms) between two houses, maybe 10 feet between houses, 3 trees total all within 4ft of each other maybe 12" diamiter all perfectly strait up nothing horizontal. we watch um for a min while were waiting for some cars to move. two guys on one roof guy in the tree and a guy on the ground the guy was climbing with what looked to be a saw about the size of a 660 with a 24" bar and he was in the tops that were like 4"!!!really? they were taking pieces that weighed maybe 100lbs and were using a 3/4" bull rope and guy was doing a wrap and a half around the tree and couldn't figure out why the piece would not come down once cut free. we start setting up then all of a sudden we hear a loud bang like wood hittin house then again so two of us look back there and they were literly bouncing 6-8" long "logs" off the one roof when the guy was blocking it down... after we get set up they must have been taking there mid afternoon break and came out to the street right when were were blowing the top out of a big ass american elm into the street one of the guys almost crapped himself and another dove for cover lol they were plenty far away from it when it landed but it sure caught them off gaurd :biggrin:

I didnt know you had the three stooges working for you...lol

I like the last pic with no hinge/no holding wood...unpredictable fall....as we see in the first pics

Hope you get it all worked out.

Last edited:

I have been thinking about you for a couple of days, and let's face it my friend.....you have to take the blame for this one. I have had hundreds of employees over the decades I have been in biz and never...never...would I EVER have had anyone with that lack of competence, left alone to remove a tree. Nobody on that job deserves to be allowed to run a chainsaw let alone use a butter knife at the dinner table.

My employees know they don't even put a soft drink bottle on my Silverado hood without incurring the wrath of me. Can't imagine the fear that they would possess in a cluster fk that would be the actions prior to this catastrophe that would be in their mind/s if they allowed such an event to happen.

Fire whoever works for you. I'd probably coldcock the one in charge and kick him in the ass as he got in his vehicle to leave. Nothing gained but I would sleep a little better.....maybe.

ummmm how did that happen , thats kinda bad ... I mean what were the aiming at ? I gotta agree with TV you need to fire that bunch , I fired a guy because he chunked down a piece of wood and 1 bounced back and took out the running board of my bucket and that really wasn't his fault but he needed to be made a example of ... But that I would have fired the whole lot of them with the quickness

If I was to guess, I would say the guy who was making the back cut didnt realize his bar wasn't clearing the otherside. He kept cutting thinking the tree would go any moment...just a little more....why isnt it gooooiinngggg..oohhhh crappppppp its going the WONG WAY!!!!! OOOOOOOOO. To late. hinge cut through and holding wood left on oppisit side, likely the heavy side (obv). No pull line was likely the final straw in this cluster f. I feel for you stihl logger, **** sucks.

I bought a New Tribe Pro Gear II saddle today with suspenders. I needed a second (new school) saddle, one for the gear box and another to keep in the bucket truck. Now my help will have a comfortable ride too when we double up spikeless pruning, no more watching him struggle in that Buckingham buttstrap.

I hope it works out, because I have never flew in one, just banked it was a comfortable piece. Looks light and minimalist by design, made in the USA too. I have heard it said that they possibly crush your berries?:blob2::blob2:

Also snagged a pair of 13" handsaws, a bungee saw lanyard and a couple biners.

Back