whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only bad thing is i will be teaching this kid my tricks.
Yeah, yah gotta be careful about training your competition. I am responsible for 3 services here, 2 ex-employees and 1 roofer who we thought was a friend, picked our brains, then went out and bought a bunch of stuff, he sucks tho! Has the biggest add in the book. Right on top of the add "TREE TOPPING"

I don't see a big prob with another on your site, as long as the gentleman agreement is held. If your on mine and a potential customer walks up, you send to me, I on yours, I send them to you. If they are a pro, and their stuff in not ho-dunk. It should be alright, but wouldn't make a practice of it.

Going out today to scope out potential picture sights with the fall colors. Going to stage a Company shot with all the equipment and all my peeps for the new website, adding a blog and a photo gallery.

I def hear what you're saying about another truck on my site but in reality, it's done all the time in every industry. And it's not like it would be every job, just picking up the big #### at the end of a few jobs a year. I'm more concerned about one of my customers seeing me at lunch with their crew to be honest.
I am saying that I have worked for other tree guys and they have worked for me and all is well, I mean some of these jobs have gotten me through the lull of a slow week . In the last few years more so now that I have rented my equipment to them and theres to me aswell .. I have worked on jobs that I also bid on ,for another tree contractor who is actually my buddy who does it more on the side since he has a full time job, I was there to pick up huge rounds ... I wasn't even mad a little he was a lot cheaper than me , but I still got a piece of the job ... When my trans went in my chip truck he loaned me his which is basically a huge billboard and I am still in business ... All of these guys who say how unnatural it is kinda make me laugh though .. Because when I go home with money in my pocket it feels pretty natural too me lol ...
I guess that when we snow plow and there is almost 60 subs who are also landscape and tree contractors we should make them peel there letters off , and hate them all for the career they chose , Its sounds silly too me when I say like that , It kinda fun to break some balls with guys who share a common interest ...

The last kid I helped out burned me out of $500 (actually the only time I ever got burned). Yeah, just what I felt like doing, fill up the bucket, take it 40 mins away and cut down tree over huge powerlines.. for some punk kid without a bucket.. for free! what a deal that was for me! Little bastard..

I might just leave him another message today. $500 is a chip box payment and a good solid packie run! lol.

Last edited:
Spent 9 hours on the road running estimates. EXACTLY how I wanted to spend my Saturday. :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I hear ya. I spent 6 hours estimating today. Makes it feel like you got cheated out of your saturday.

Couldn't bow hunt this afternoon cause the clothes dryer repair guy is here. So :bang::bang: lol.

That last fox better steer clear of the yard tonight!

I hear ya. I spent 6 hours estimating today. Makes it feel like you got cheated out of your saturday.

Couldn't bow hunt this afternoon cause the clothes dryer repair guy is here. So :bang::bang: lol.

I'm kinda hoping that last fox grabs a hold of your jugular vein while you sleeping at this point.. that's just me though..

I don't know what the heck you two are talking about.... Yeah, I was upset today, I spent it all meeting potential clients, and ensuring the financial success of my company. BOOOO HOOO LOL.....

No, I was just kinda grumbling cause I waited til saturday afternoon to hunt, and couldn't because the dryer had to get fixed.

Definitely can't complain about the estimates, its good to have a lot of work. I've been doing them on Saturdays lately because most people are home, and if you can meet with them in person and explain their tree work to them, you can close the sale probably 8 out of ten times.

When the fox was chasing my cat last week, I took it personally. Been killing a bunch of them out of my yard lately, which is actually a lot of fun. There's one left, as far as I can tell. And I got something for him.

[QUOTE=Blakesmaster;3212
I didn't have to worry when the truck got full, didn't put out money for the fuel in the am, didn't touch a rake, a piece of wood or brush, didn't do jack but climb and run the bucket. Literally no stress, made me remember my love for the job for the first time in a long time.

Kinda nice isn't it. I don't use any equipment older then five years old, If a saw gets rocked I grab another one ,equipment breakdowns aren't my problem , traffic is just easy money ,pissed neighboors can call the office and weekends and pm's are always off. Aside from the money being a owner is a huge pita .

Blakesmaster;3212 I didn't have to worry when the truck got full said:
Gotta disagree with your thoughts on ownership. There is something to be said for paving your own way to success, and putting food on the table based solely on an idea that you took from a drawing board to reality. Fawk the money, I make my own rules, run the jobs how I want them done, then pat myself on the back at the end of the day for a job well done. The money is just a bonus. There is tremendous satisfaction with running your own shop. Don't get me wrong, it's a huge PITA sometimes, but I wouldn't be doing it if the benefits didn't far outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:
Took out a nasty mess of ash trees today at a friend's house. 1/2 load of chips today, going back tomorrow for 3 loads of wood. Also tomorrow I can look forward to estimates and meeting with clients to get paid.

Gotta disagree with your thoughts on ownership. There is something to be said for paving your own way to success, and putting food on the table based solely on an idea that you took from a drawing board to reality. Fawk the money, I make my own rules, run the jobs how I want them done, then pat myself on the back at the end of the day for a job well done. The money is just a bonus. There is trmendous satisfaction with ruynning your own shop. Don't get me wrong, it's a huge PITA sometimes, but I wouldn't be doing it if the benefits didn't far outweigh the negatives.
I was just pointing out that being a employee can be a pretty sweet gig. Theres a sentiment by many here that you haven't made it till you become a owner. I agree it's more rewarding but it does entail alot more work. Im moving towards being self employed but for the time being im happy with my situation.

I was just pointing out that being a employee can be a pretty sweet gig. Theres a sentiment by many here that you haven't made it till you become a owner. I agree it's more rewarding but it does entail alot more work. Im moving towards being self employed but for the time being im happy with my situation.

Agreed

Bought a yard vac for $100 today ...

While out doing evaluations today I picked this up for 100 bucks:

2011-10-14151714.jpg

I'll use it to pickup sawdust off lawns. I'm stoked at the bargain.

Climbed and removed 5 ash trees with 45mph gusts not a real fun day but if your going to cut em all you got to cut em all.:blob2:

Yesterday pruned a giant 250 yr approx chestnut oak for some huge dead wood scattered way out on big dia laterals in high winds at the Montessori school we took the vines off last Sat. Amazing what some people can live with in regards to liability. Whole school of maybe 40 kids running under there and it took a parent to ask if "you had your trees checked lately?" to get it done. I am trying to do it more often and have been up that tree many times but sometimes people draw the line at expenditures in the oddest places. Anyway, huge beech dead and falling apart from rr neighbor's prop. behind hanging right over the playset in far corner. Going to have to write a condemning letter to them to give a little kick in the ascs. Probably won't hire me for doing that tho.

Latest posts

Back