whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have always wanted to re-deck my log truck with wood it hauled! No mills around here :(
Think it would be cool, nice and stained, looking all sharp and stuff.

I tried out a new climber yesterday, he did alright. He can climb for sure, but some of his cutting was weird. He worked at Asplundh for years, caught his woman in bed with another climber, he beat down the other and went to jail for assault. I can live with that, as I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing. He seemed to be afraid of laying the logs over, he would get almost to the right depth of the back cut and then pull out and jog away? Guys are trying to pull, look at me with a WTF? on their faces. He reluctantly went back in and would do these little zip cuts, not wanting to commit to just cutting it to the right depth.He cut only open faces and did that weird as well, but it worked. When I had him snap cutting a cherry, he would have 4-5 inches between the cuts? I asked him about it, "wanted to leave some meat on it", HUH? He didn't get it to pop, kept trying, finally I told him how I wanted him to do it. Don't know if he was nervous or what the deal was, maybe he didn't have the opportunity for that stuff to much over there, I dunno, like I said its weird. He cut a stump in the strangest way I have ever seen, he put real deep kerf cuts first, then hit it from the back and stopped halfway, then went to the front to finish the square, it worked, stump was clean and flat. It all looks to me like a lack of experience, but I know he has been climbing for about 8 years. Lack of good leadership maybe? Up in the air on the brush, he did real good, steered some stuff over a new deck real nice. He wasn't reckless but quick about it. Kinda thinking that he never did a whole lot of removals over there,just clearing the lines. Guess I figured with that amount of time in the industry, that he would have more knowledge. Nice guy, have not decided yet if I am going to bring him on. Background check shows the assault and a bar fight when he was young, so no criminal stuff. I know that they do training over there, heck, most of my training material I copy from them!
Had Nic (old padawan) bring over his safety book, so I can copy it! I asked Nic about him, he didn't know much as he didn't work a whole lot with him, said he never heard or seen anything bad, just when he was fired for no shows (when he was in jail). So we will see, all easy stuff to fix, all except the fear, going to have him do another before I decide.

So you check every weld on your machines daily .... Listen I admitted already that it was by chance I check tires, lights , connections and things being tied down , I guess that I should take some time on the rain days and and scoot around on the creeper once in a while ...

It wouldn't be the first time a chipper tongue cracked like that. And after a chipper gets to be so old cracks can be found all over it. The tongue is scary because it can rust from the inside out and many layers of paint can hide defects. You know , with this work its like I am always looking for "what's wrong ?" myself.

Looked at a few estimes in the rain (no umbrella).

Got a big ash to take down. This tree is pretty bad. Extremely hollow at the base and about 90' tall. Everything has to get roped down too. Can get the bucket to it with plywood and six wheel drive, but I dont think I'll have the height. Can't take very big pieces with the base that bad either. All the wood has to get roped down, as the tree is on the uphill side of a seawall and on a lake here in town. No crane access either.

Sometimes you gotta wonder if trees like that are worth it. I'll get some pics when we do it.

I want AA to look at this picture , and that is why you don't EVER EVER put concrete in a tree because when the next poor bastard has to cut it down he wastes 2 blades and beats up his cutter teeth too get through it , and this wasn't discovered until 2pm and at 2:15 it was pouring , I wish I could get my hands on that idiot lol View attachment 202892

It wouldn't be the first time a chipper tongue cracked like that. And after a chipper gets to be so old cracks can be found all over it. The tongue is scary because it can rust from the inside out and many layers of paint can hide defects. You know , with this work its like I am always looking for "what's wrong ?" myself.

I was ####ting my pants limping that machine home , It only a 5yr old machine and the crack actually looked like a horse hair right up the center of the weld ...

I want AA to look at this picture , and that is why you don't EVER EVER put concrete in a tree because when the next poor bastard has to cut it down he wastes 2 blades and beats up his cutter teeth too get through it , and this wasn't discovered until 2pm and at 2:15 it was pouring , I wish I could get my hands on that idiot lol View attachment 202892

Ouch. That SUCKS....

Kinda in a weird spot. Got a call from my old boss on Monday. Haven't spoken to him in almost two years since I went on my own. Said he had some work for me if I was interested. We met for coffee, agreed on a solid price for me and Eric and we did a few jobs today. Cake work ####, only roped two limbs, most all were directional felling cuts and other bs. I gotta admit...it was nice. I didn't have to worry when the truck got full, didn't put out money for the fuel in the am, didn't touch a rake, a piece of wood or brush, didn't do jack but climb and run the bucket. Literally no stress, made me remember my love for the job for the first time in a long time.

But...

I'm helping the competition. Granted, he's paying for it, but I am helping him regardless, otherwise he wouldn't have called or asked when I can come back. I don't need the work as there is plenty on my plate but nothing I can't manage while tossing a day a week to him for cash on the side. Still it irks me that I'm aiding the competition. How do big companies like Mayer and Marquis do it? Seems if I was Dan Mayer there wouldn't be anyone using my crane except for me. You want to do that job, you better own the equipment, but they work it out...somehow.

There is potential for work trades in the future which could be beneficial with their grapple truck and skidsteers, jobs that would have been a PITA for my setup can be blown through rather quickly with theirs so there's more at stake than a few cash days. I don't know, just a goofy situation for me is all. Toss me your insight guys if you don't mind, I'm sure there's quite a few of you that have been in this position before.

I never wanted my own company and all the headaches, that takes a special breed, more so if the company is big. I could not imagine being on vacation without wondering, anyway, I have climbed for and been employed by about 75% of the companies in San Diego in the last almost 34 years. They did not seem to mind that I often work with their competition. I say enjoy it. He needed you and you were available, it's a good thing.
Jeff

Kinda in a weird spot. Got a call from my old boss on Monday. Haven't spoken to him in almost two years since I went on my own. Said he had some work for me if I was interested. We met for coffee, agreed on a solid price for me and Eric and we did a few jobs today. Cake work ####, only roped two limbs, most all were directional felling cuts and other bs. I gotta admit...it was nice. I didn't have to worry when the truck got full, didn't put out money for the fuel in the am, didn't touch a rake, a piece of wood or brush, didn't do jack but climb and run the bucket. Literally no stress, made me remember my love for the job for the first time in a long time.

But...

I'm helping the competition. Granted, he's paying for it, but I am helping him regardless, otherwise he wouldn't have called or asked when I can come back. I don't need the work as there is plenty on my plate but nothing I can't manage while tossing a day a week to him for cash on the side. Still it irks me that I'm aiding the competition. How do big companies like Mayer and Marquis do it? Seems if I was Dan Mayer there wouldn't be anyone using my crane except for me. You want to do that job, you better own the equipment, but they work it out...somehow.

There is potential for work trades in the future which could be beneficial with their grapple truck and skidsteers, jobs that would have been a PITA for my setup can be blown through rather quickly with theirs so there's more at stake than a few cash days. I don't know, just a goofy situation for me is all. Toss me your insight guys if you don't mind, I'm sure there's quite a few of you that have been in this position before.

I am just a small fry in the tree biz but I doubt I would ever allow a truck marked with a nother outfit on a job of mine. Unless its a crane, then maybe. But it would depend on who it was. Idk...I wouldnt like the idea of my good work making someone elses biz look good.

I am just a small fry in the tree biz but I doubt I would ever allow a truck marked with a nother outfit on a job of mine. Unless its a crane, then maybe. But it would depend on who it was. Idk...I wouldnt like the idea of my good work making someone elses biz look good.

Right, that is exactly what I was saying. He is not using a marked truck ( I dont think I read that), but offering his climbing skills and being a good guy can only network him into positive feedback. Heck, If it was a bad thing, he wouldn't have done it.
Jeff

Right, that is exactly what I was saying. He is not using a marked truck ( I dont think I read that), but offering his climbing skills and being a good guy can only network him into positive feedback. Heck, If it was a bad thing, he wouldn't have done it.
Jeff

I think I got a little side tracked with the part about trading work n his interest in the grappel truck.

I think I got a little side tracked with the part about trading work n his interest in the grappel truck.

I def hear what you're saying about another truck on my site but in reality, it's done all the time in every industry. And it's not like it would be every job, just picking up the big #### at the end of a few jobs a year. I'm more concerned about one of my customers seeing me at lunch with their crew to be honest.

Where you from?

I lived in the Lycoming and Sulivan county areas for like ten years. I worked for a consulting forester and some mills throughout the time and seen seen alot of beautiful country in my travels. Seen alot of nice timber too!

I def hear what you're saying about another truck on my site but in reality, it's done all the time in every industry. And it's not like it would be every job, just picking up the big #### at the end of a few jobs a year. I'm more concerned about one of my customers seeing me at lunch with their crew to be honest.

the kid up the road that is starting a tree biz with my old truck called me the other day to look at a tree he doesn't feel comfortable with doing. I went and looked at it and gave him a price to climb it. It's really not a bad tree just lot of roping, lots of landscaping and a deck underneath. I dont really like helping my future comp out but this kid is starving and at this point in the year biz isn't going to last much longer so i'll do just about anything to keep the income coming in. The only bad thing is i will be teaching this kid my tricks.

I agree. The whole thing just doesn't seem natural to me... kinda like one animal doing the hunting for the other. Strange. I have done it though.

Latest posts

Back