whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, nice reach! 700-900 lbs isn't alot, but when you're out that far you can't over load the boom. That'd be the cat's meow here! Good steal!

Thank you. I think it will be used more often than I originally planned. Yesterday as the first time I actually "played" with it. Its easy to drive, very maneuverable and sets up in less than five minutes. We will plan on using it on jobs that don't require a crane just to get through them faster. Im also going to fit some steel stock up on the sides for log bunks so I can haul trunks.

Get or make yourself some cribbing. I made some out of some sycamore logs I had milled into 4"×6" ×3' long blocks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Get or make yourself some cribbing. I made some out of some sycamore logs I had milled into 4"×6" ×3' long blocks

I need to get a lot of accessories for it... Thank goodness its going to be a snowy week here in town, and I have 8K in removals scheduled. I broke myself to pay for the thing, and I also just bought that dingo two weeks ago. All cash, no loans on anything I own, and not because I would prefer it that way either.

it can be trying at times, you have to know when to travel and when not to. Also, the city is full of no truck roads too. The "reward" for doing so is usually solid money on tree work though. I only have a cpl competitors on the difficult jobs like the one pictured above, and I am always able to comfortably underbid them. For instance, we did a very similar job like the one I showed pictures above on two alanthias in the back bay. My direct competitor was at 3K for one of the two in the back. I took two down in two days for 4K. If the tree has to go, you can pretty much charge whatever you want within reason, and you will get the job.
Trying to work in downtown San Diego was a freakin nightmare. And the city would nickel and dime ya ta death. We had the contract, I wanted out of it, but was forced to renew by my boss, no matter how hard we tried, we always lost money.

Trying to work in downtown San Diego was a freakin nightmare. And the city would nickel and dime ya ta death. We had the contract, I wanted out of it, but was forced to renew by my boss, no matter how hard we tried, we always lost money.

Yeah, Ive got it down to a science right now, where to go for parking permits in a hurry, police details, TMP's etc. For tree services based outside of the city, it's intimidating to even come in and do an estimate, let alone execute lol...

Snowmaggeddon is upon us, they be saying 18-24" starting Tuesday, I hope they are wrong. So today I am going for a long one. The one thing I do love about this line of work. I can make twice as much as most folks in one day, than they do in a week. I may sit and look out the window a lot and be real bitchy about the weather, but when ya can go, ya can make some nice coin, real fast. 2 big pin oak prunes, both on flat yards, with in a 1/2 mile of each other, nutin bigger than 4". Will fill maybe a 1/4 of the chip box. Then I will come back in here and stare back out the window. I hate snow.

Snowing like crazy here. They are calling for 4"-8" by noon. I make good money on plowing but I am ready to make steady money. Come on spring.

Snowing like crazy here. They are calling for 4"-8" by noon. I make good money on plowing but I am ready to make steady money. Come on spring.

Snow is a love hate relationship with me. It has certainly put me on the map financially and has allowed me to purchase the majority of my equipment. But it is nerve racking. All my stuff is zero tolerance commercial multi units in the city. Super high rent tenants and they don't want any excuses. They pay, oh boy do they pay, but I deliver in effect, a concierge type snow and ice service. I cancelled a tree job this AM because we may get a dusting here today. Gotta get the truck loaded with salt, and have the guys go out and pretreat.

Snowing like crazy here and my flipping truck is in the shop, arg FML

Character is who you are when no one is looking

See? That's why I always have anxiety. I have 2 jeeps, a one ton pick up, and a bobcat that work a storm, and I'm on the smaller side on the grand scale. So much to break, and worry about. Anxiety inducing.

It's a little stressful, especially when you know it's going to be a long storm. The stress is pretty good at keeping me alert and awake for long periods though!
Somebody is getting pounded with snow today, it sideswiped us and only got rain with a tiny bit of sleet and snow this afternoon. Weather guessers were saying 4-6 inches for us the last 2 days on weather.com but NOAA actually came closer for once with their guess of 1/2". Oh well, they're guessing another storm is coming this weekend or something?????

It's a little stressful, especially when you know it's going to be a long storm. The stress is pretty good at keeping me alert and awake for long periods though!
Somebody is getting pounded with snow today, it sideswiped us and only got rain with a tiny bit of sleet and snow this afternoon. Weather guessers were saying 4-6 inches for us the last 2 days on weather.com but NOAA actually came closer for once with their guess of 1/2". Oh well, they're guessing another storm is coming this weekend or something?????

BOS got 2 today, another 8-12 Wednesday right after midnight, and another 6 inches plus this weekend. Too early to nail that one down though.

Back